Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Prolotherapy and Wallace Ligament implants

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
User Profile
I have chronic pain which is intermittent and is in the lower back and can go down my leg. The sensations in my leg are tingling/hot/cold and numb areas.

I find that anything physical aggravates the pain or sitting and standing for a long time also aggravates it. I find relief with rest by lying down.

I have had this back problem since I was 17 and it started with a bout of the flu/cold and I have never been able to get rid of it since.

I have been told by my G.P and physiotherapist that my spine is unstable. I would like to ask if prolotherapy or the Wallace ligament implant would be suitable options for the back problem that I have got as I am seriously considering them and would like to know how effective either of these treatments would be for my condition.

I would like to know a little more about the Wallace ligament as I cannot find much information about this treatment on the internet at the moment.

I am UK based.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 3rd, 2008
Back Pain Answer A4616
Prolotherapy ("Proliferative Injection Therapy") involves injecting an otherwise non-pharmacological and non-active irritant solution into the body, generally in the region of tendons or ligaments for the purpose of strengthening weakened connective tissue and alleviating musculoskeletal pain. There is conflicting evidence regarding the efficacy of prolotherapy injections for patients with chronic low-back pain. If used alone, prolotherapy injections do not have a role in the treatment of chronic low-back pain. When combined with other treatments, they may give prolonged partial relief of pain and disability.

Wallace Ligament implant involves placing a plastic spacer between the spinous processes posterior to a degenerate disc or following discectomy. This off loads the anterior disc. There are no long term data currently available. The main advantages are that it is quick and easy to perform and is easy to convert to a fusion if the surgical outcome is not successful.

You may want to consult a neurosurgeon or orthopedist about treatment possibilities in your case.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Back Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.