Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

Prolonged swollen lymph node in Left side of neck

Hi i am a 19 y.o female and i was wondering if i could just get your thoughts/oppinion on if you think my current situation sounds like lymphoma? All of this started around july 25-27th when i seemed to come down with a cold. I went to doctor and he noticed that my lymph nodes were swollen and he said that we would watch them. I went back in still not feeling well and he treated me with antibiotics for a sinus infection. Since then i have been to a gp on the texas tech university campus and have now gone through 6 rounds antibiotics and 2 rounds of steroids (prednisone) i am still not feeling well and while on these antibiotics i came down with bronchitis, she did an xray of chest and said there was a shadowed area. I do still have a cough and chest tightness/shortness of breath but i use my inhaler to help with this. Also i am extremely tired and for a week i had extreme muscle pain everything just ached and was sore, i felt generally ill like i was coming down with the flu was having low grade fevers, no appetite, and then that sort of passed. I am always tired, loss of appetite, low grade fevers, at some point i was waking up at night with the back of my hair soaking wet. (my dorm room is FREEZING) there has never been a day where i have felt well. I also had an x ray done to check for sinus infection and that was clear. I also had a really bad case of mono last year in september. i was having little red bumps pop up everywhere on my chest and breasts, they did itch a little but not much. The right side lymph node has gone to normal size but the left side is still very large and swollen
and has not decreased insize with antibiotics, however this week it has been going from small back to large back to small? it seems hard to me, and if i tilt my neck it sticks out. It does not hurt but i have a feeling of fullness in my neck as itf something was weighing it down and my shoulder on the left side is very achey as well as the general neck. also when i lay down on that side of the neck it feels like it pushes into my neck and i have trouble swallowing and cannot lay on that side, because i have trouble breathing. I finally got a referral to see an ENT and i am going in on NOvember 8th. I also have a history with bumps i guess u could say so they sort of freak me out. In 2nd grade i had a granuloma on the stomach removed in 7th grade i had a cyst removed from mouth and when i was 18 i had a cyst removed from my thumb, all benign.
I was just wondering if this sounds like it could be lymphoma or what your thoughts on it could be, just to ease my mind a little bit.
Thank you so much for reading this
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Dr. Robert Wascher
|

User Profile
replied November 1st, 2010
Lymphoma typically causes painless (and progressive) enlargement of one or more lymph nodes. On the other hand, tender, painful lymph nodes are usually caused by infection or inflammation (either acutely or chronically).

Unfortunately, it is not possible to provide a specific diagnosis over the Internet to patients with concerns regarding enlarged lymph nodes. Therefore, my advice is for you to see the ENT doctor for an examination. If you have persistently enlarged lymph nodes (and especially if they continue to enlarge), then a biopsy may become necessary to rule-out lymphoma, or other cancers involving the lymph nodes.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race" (2010)

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.