Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diagnostic Techniques, Treatments Forum

Prolonged Qt? Or just dehydration?

I'm a 15 year old girl. A couple weeks ago I experienced a terrible sore throat, fever and headaches. I went to CVS Minute Clinic and the doctor there found fluid behind my ears and tested me for strep (which came back negative) and prescribed me antibiotics treating me for an ear infection. After taking the antibiotics I felt much better an as a result I forgot to take my antibiotics. I missed 2 days. Friday morning I was sitting in class and I noticed a bruise on my wrist, I hadn't had it previously and I didn't recall how I got it. Minutes after I noticed it (I had pressed on it which hurt very badly), I began to feel nauseous followed by heart palpitations, loss of breath and tunnel vision. I woke up on the ground with my teacher hovering over me. The administrators called 911 and I was taken to the hospital by ambulance. The paramedics took my blood sugar which was 88 and they gave me an IV because I was kind of dehydrated. In the ER I got an EKG, blood tests, urine sample, and chest xray, all came back normal. The ER doctor noticed I was borderline LQTS (Long QT Syndrome), they advised that I don't take antibiotics or allergy pills as certain medications can affect my QT interval. Since Friday, being unable to take antibiotics my sore throat came back and my right tonsil is very swollen. I've also found it sort difficult to breathe, I'm not suffocating by any means but it's enough to leave me pretty uncomfortable. Today, I had a follow up appointment with my doctor and she quickly checked my ears, throat and everything. My lymph nodes are swollen so obviously I have an infection, but my strep test came back negative and this time there is no ear infection. She is treating me for strep now, and is waiting for my culture, if it comes back negative then I have to stop taking the antibiotics. But she still suggests I go to the cardiologist. I don't know what to think and I'm panicking. Why would she prescribe me antibiotics but still want me to go to the cardiologist? What do you think it could be? Do you think I passed out because of the prolonged QT or dehydration or what?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 31st, 2013
Long QT syndrome is often inherited. You can read about it on mayoclinic.com or elsewhere online.

Dehydration, antibiotics or certain other drugs can affect QT interval and trigger symptoms like you had.

Like your doctor, I also recommend you to have your condition evaluated by a cardiologist who can tell you which exact disorder you have. It can be a chronic disorder, which becomes worse when you get some infection or take some medications.
|
Did you find this post helpful?