Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Problems urinating

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I am a female. I had a UTI (started around 2 weeks ago) that was 1st treated with the wrong antibiotics (for 7 days). I then went to an urologists and was given a different antibiotic (for another 10 days). One of the problems I devoloped is that I have problems to urinate. I had a catheter at one point. I am off the antibiotics (since yesterday) My doctor says the fact that I have problems urinating will eventually go away. Can this be? First thing in the morning I can not urinate at all and as the day progress it gets better (not good just better), but then I am back at square 1 first thing the next morning. My doctor recommends to wait 3 weeks to see if it improves. My town only have the one urologists so it is difficult to get a 2nd opinion. Should I wait for 3 weeks to see if it improve or should I look for another urologists in the next town? (I do not want to make things worst by waiting if it should be treated now)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2009
Supporter
hello where i come from in uk even when having a catheter in while in hospital they routinely check and measure urine output to make sure you are back to normal.
I DONT like going against doctors judgments but would advise you maybe get second opinion before three weeks.
it must be painful not being able to empty your bladder fully as normal and as you have had a uti already you don,t want to risk another infection and can,t pass urine as often to flush any more infections out.
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2009
Supporter
I agree with Ioka. It's very dangerous not to be able to empty your bladder. This can cause a kidney infection. If I were you I would travel to see another urologist for a 2nd opinion. You need some better care. Three weeks is too long in my opinion.
|

replied June 20th, 2009
Thanks - he did take a bladder sonar(?) to see if I empty my bladder when I do urinate eventually. When I eventually urinate, I do empty my bladder. It just take forever to urinate (first thing in the morning is the worst!) If I get up in the mornings it takes about 1 to 2 hours before I urinate. And then from there it slowly becomes easier and quicker every time I urinate during the day. By the evening it is almost back to normal. It is just to start that is a problem - but once I start I empty my bladder. My doctor told me not to "push" or "force" myself to urinate as this may cause more problems. So if I try to urinate, I just push a little - like you will normally or a little more - and if nothing happens, I called it a try and then try again a few minutes later and then eventually it will come out.
|