Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Problems post surgery

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Hi

Wondering if someone can help with some advice. I had my gallbladder removed 12days ago (lap). I woke up from the operation with a very similar pain to when I was on the verge of a gallbladder attack (I had 2 10hr incredibly painful attacks in the 6mths prior to operation). Surgeon said the operation went perfectly and said it was either phantom pains or gas. It got worse overnight and blood tests confirmed the pancreas was slightly inflamed (amalayse was 160, went up to 250). I had a CT scan which showed no problems but the following day bloods had increased again - the liver function tests were all about 10 times what they should have been. I was also and still am incredibly itchy (this did start a week or 2 prior to surgery). 3 days post surgery I started to feel incredibly lethargic, no energy atall and I still feel like this 12 days on. I have no energy to leave the house, and am seriously struggling to look after my two young children. I was released after 4 days on account I went back 3 days later for repeat blood tests, which I did but they appear to have gone astray.

The surgeon can't understand what went wrong, another doctor suggested he may have knocked the pancreas slightly and irritated it. It is normal for my liver function tests to be this high? One was 689 (normal level apparently 0-50). Is this the reason for the exhaustion. I had my appendix removed 7mths ago (open surgery) and did not feel this exhaustion so don't feel its just from the operation and normal.

I'm seeing my doctor in the morning but would appreciate anyone's views on this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 26th, 2010
As you have only provided a few results for your blood tests, it is difficult for me to comment. Certainly, the rise in your amylase could be due to pancreatitis. A more likely cause of pancreatitis in patients undergoing gallbladder surgery is that one or more small stones escape from the gallbladder and get hung up at the place where the main bile duct and the pancreatic duct merge, as they enter the small intestine. Stones in this area can also block the bile duct, which can lead to jaundice (and elevations in blood tests, including bilirubin, alkalaine phosphatase, amylase, and other tests). Also, injury to the bile ducts during surgery can also cause jaundice as well. Infection, although rare can cause abdominal pain and abnormal blood tests, too. Finally, leakage of bile from the bile ducts or the liver can also cause abdominal pain and elevated bilirubin levels in the blood.

Hopefully, your surgeon will be able to find the cause(s) of the problems that you are experiencing, and he/she will be able to help you to get well again soon.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied August 4th, 2010
Thank you for your reply. I had some more blood test done last week which again showed higher than normal amylase level (liver results were ok) and I have a follow up appointment with the surgeon on Friday. The last few days I have been experiencing upper central abdominal pain again. Hopefully they can discover the cause of this soon.
|

replied August 4th, 2010
Also for reference the liver results that were high were LDH (502), ALT (689) and AST (400)
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.