Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Problem swallowing (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hi; I am new to the forum and it seems all the other posts with the same issue of trouble swallowing are not exactly what I have problem. with. I first off do not have reflux or any other digestive troubles. I , for several nights now; have become panicked as I cannot swallow saliva. I have been in semi upright position on sofa resting; and cannot move my tongue and cannot swallow pooling saliva. It takes seveeral minutes of panic and taking deep breaths and retrying unsuccessfully. Eventually I can regain swallowing. Each episode the inability to swallow seems to lengthen in time. I take several meds; some of them say do not crush or chew. I follow every med to the tee on instructions. I have a new med; Marinol; which states do not crush or chew. I am real careful to not do so. I take Neurontin, Hydrocodone,Zanaflex,Marinol, for spinal injury and pain management also involving sciatica. I also take hydrocortisone daily for adrenal insufficiency. The difficulty swallowing does not apply to swallowing meds or food; never has occured then. Only after bed meds which includes all except the hydrocortisone and metformin. It only involves difficulty moving tongue noticed when trying to swallow collecting saliva. This then causes a sense of panic. During episode I can speak a little as I called out to my husband. Speech seems kinda sluggish? Or kind of like if you pinch and hold your tongue and try to speak. It then resolves after 5-10 minutes. These episodes are increasing in frequency and frightening. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated. Blessings to all! and Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper caduceusntx
|

replied March 10th, 2009
I have the same thing!
I don't know if you will get this??? I have the same thing that has happened to me now several times within the past week. I thought it was stress/anxiety, but it may have to do with having a vitamin B 12 deficiency or being anemic. Do you have either of these???
|

replied March 11th, 2009
difficulty swallowing
Hi Sorry; I don't have either of those problems; but my doctor believes these episodes to be small strokes. I am 36? He said it's unusual but happens. I also did have a blood clot in leg before; but was in a minor vessel. He also believes that I now have mini seizures; never had an issue with them before. AM not sure what to do with the TIA (TRansient ischemic attacks)or mini strokes or mini seizures. I have had an mri of brain this week; and am due for an EEG soon also. Maybe look into this for yourself?
|

replied April 17th, 2009
Difficulty Swallowing saliva
Hi,

I seem to have the same problem for the past 1 week. I can't swallow my saliva !! The situation seems to be worse during the night when I go to bed compared to the day. I have trouble sleeping and have to say some nights are worse than the other. I'm a smoker (smoke about 6/7 cigis a night). Could it be indigestion. Also I'm 35. Are you guys are in the same age group. I'm a bit stressed at this stage of my life. Could this be a reason?

Any suggestions welcome.
|

replied January 21st, 2010
problems swallowing
I to have the same problem. I'm 39 years old with type 1 diabetes. I thought it had something to do with diabetes, but my doctor thinks it is stress. I noticed that I can't swallow when I am thinking of something stressful or about to be in a stressfull situation. I have decided to start meditating to see if this will help. I'll let you know.
|

replied August 14th, 2010
I have the same problem, but unlike the rest of you im only 15. I tend to have difficulty swollowing my saliva during the day, but mostly at night and I tend to start panicing and start having trouble breathing. I constantly have to remind myself to take deep breaths and try to relax. This problem usually keeps me up at night, and i have to remain in a sitting position on the sofa, should i consult a doctor?
|

replied October 25th, 2011
Im having the same problem right now its creaking me out...like extremely I'm scared I'm only 13 Nd I'm terrified
|

replied October 20th, 2010
swallowing difficulty
Last night I suddenly started having trouble swallowing. It was very weird, and I am still having these problems at this minute. At first I thought I was about to vomit, because I started to swallow and it just would not go down. It was like my throat muscles just would not work. I began shaking and realized I was having a panic attack which I have had since I was 15. But I have never had this swallowing problem. Even after the panic attack and even right now, I am still having the same problem.Every time I try to swallow, it feels like my thriat muscles wont work and I have to force it down. here id the part that is even more strange. If I take a drink of water, it goes down just fine, it only occurs if I am trying to swallow my own salava. I have been thru six bottles of water since 10pm last nite. Ayone else have this problem?? what releives it?? does it ever go away?? I mean this thing just happened with no notice or warning. One minute I was fine, the next I was having this issue.
|

replied October 28th, 2010
Difficulty swallowing saliva at night..
I am 36 and I have the same problem. This started in the last 6 months. Every month it gets worse. I cant lie back and sleep. If i do, i get in to panic because maybe a spoonful of saliva gets accumulated and i cant swallow. Somehow i feel that the epiglottis is not under my control. Is it sleep apnia? I am scared and until i saw this forum i thought i was the only one with this problem and dint know how to explain this to a dr. I had strep couple of times and i though it was strep that triggered this for me. I know its not drooling since my saliva ends up near the epiglottis and not outisde my mouth. I use listerine everyday. Any body else? Any remedy? Anyone else who had this same pattern? thanks
|

replied January 11th, 2011
Maybe I have the same problem
I have the same problem I think. I just cannot swallow my own saliva, no problem with water and other things. I do not smoke and do not have any special disease. This is happening to me for almost 5 days, and it is really annoying. I am having so much stress these days, I hope stress is the reason, and nothing else!
It seems like my saliva just does not go down! it remains in the middle of my throat and I can feel it. It seems something stops it in the middle of my throat. Is it the same problem that you have? I am 24.
|

replied January 16th, 2011
I'm 17 and within the past few weeks I have been struggling to swallow my saliva it seems to have worsend within the past few nights I can't breath and I start to physically shake and my heart rate is going up. It feels like my throat is closing up its really scary.
|

replied March 6th, 2012
heyy jus wonderin hav u gotten better? im kinda goin thru da same thing..trouble swallowin my saliva...ill preciate if u reply back..thxz jayy
|

replied March 14th, 2011
dysphagia
hi, I also have this problem swallowing saliva, & it seems to "pool" within
the esophagus,to where i fight for my breath, yes indeed frightening! this
also happens when swallowing liquids, i notice that liquid has to "slide"
way down into my throat before i can swallow
I also have violent, & sustaining spasms in the muscles & tendons,muscle
pain, progressive weakness, living with this condition for many years w/out diagnosis>
has been truly disheartening>
finally I am sent to the Wesley clinic in Memphis, & the Neurologist assigned
to me here was the ONLY one to do a diff. set of tests. I cannot stand &
walk
on my heals, nor tip toes, cannot walk a straight line heal to toe, w/out
losing all balance,
he discovered thru a muscle conduction, there is abnormality in the thigh &
upper arm muscles, tho he cannot as of yet diagnose, due to the multitude of symptoms,
my quality of life is going fast, (unimaginable pain) I am really fearful,
I SO wish for a suggestion to present my physician> (he is ruling) out motor
neuron at this time)
|

replied April 13th, 2011
I have the same problem. It occurs when I am anxious about something. I try to swallow and it feels like my tongue goes numb and I cant swallow. I instantly panic and I cant use my tongue to swallow. At first I was terrified thinking i was going to choke on my tongue or something and I wont be able to breathe. My therapist told me it was from stress and she is right. **As soon as I get that feeling now, I just open my mouth and start to breathe from my mouth, take a deep breath and relax my facial and mouth muscles and take a sip of water.. It automatically goes away. Its help sooo much for me.. Smile I always keep a bottle with me always.. Smile Smile
|

replied July 4th, 2011
Cricopharyngeus Spasm you tube it. I too have the same sysmptom
|

replied September 29th, 2011
I have trouble swallowing
I am so glad I am not the only one. You dont even know. I sometimes cannot swallow period and that includes my own saliva. It feels like my tounge wont work. It is frightening. For people who dont understand, just imagine yourself choking and grasping for breath. Try thinking what it would feel like if that every time you ate, if this would be the time you would choke and believe me, I have chocked before. THANK GOD I was near a foucet with water, because if I didnt, I would have died. I had to scrap the food out of my throat with my finger. I thought I was going to die. This IS NO JOKE. I am always afraid that some day I will be in a place with no water is available. This is NOT made up in my mind. If my MIND is causing me my throat to close up and my tounge not to work, then that is some serious sh*t. Its like someone telling you that your mind is causing you cancer. You would think that was crazy right? Well just imagine how we feel. This is nuts. I NEVER thought somthing like this would happen to me. I didnt even know that this was even possible. I wish a doctor could tell us what the f**k is going on. They dont know, thats what they say. Whens enough, enough? I am so for being angry, but someone has got to do SOMETHING to HELP us! PLEASE!
|

replied August 9th, 2012
Do you believe in God the father and Jesus his son our savior? Even if you didn't and I want to share my testimony, back in 2001,when i was,21 years of age was a lost soul, who was abused as a child sexually, physically, mentally and neglected and rejected and abandoned!! From my own mom and family sounds sick huh, I'm standing strong for my husband and 4 beautiful children, anyway in 2001 I was severely sick with horific pain Dr.s couldn't give a diagnosis, my aunt and uncle was Christians and they were carasmatic awesome people would always show the love and power of God thru their works, they tried to speak to me about Jesus who died on the cross for me for my sins he also took our diseases which made no sense at the time i ignored him years prior, until I got sick no one to turn to, i remembered my aunts testimony, well in other words her story how she became a Christian on her dying bed she had 3 days to live and her child she had just given birth to she and baby had full blown AIDS also she was strung out on drugs, she told me a pastor came to visit to pray for her and she accepted Jesus into her life and made him the lord of her life and he prayed for her healing which sounded crazy she couldn't see was blind from sickness couldn't really walk her days were over so she thought, the very next day in the hospital she could see, the everyday in hospital she got better until one day they tested her a AIDS/HIS test were negative a few months later every month they were negative! That's all i kept remebering so i seen my uncle riding his bike invited me to church i agreed and accepted Jesus, as the sicker i got the more i believed God can heal, until one day the bishop from my church, ask if anyone needs healing in their bodies i went up believing he said he would pray for us without laying his hands on us so i stood their and felt a hot sensation go thru top of my dad to my feet got weak and dropped to the floor but didn't hurt myself my body felt on fire in the inside, so i got up and realized God just touched me and healed me yay, next day I was surely healed Till this day those symptoms are gone whatever it was its gone God healed me if he can heal me he can heal you nothing is to hard for God !!!! God is love and wants us well. I hope you're encouraged. I will pray for your healing...God loves you!
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied October 29th, 2011
DIFFICULTY SWALLOWING AFTER METFORMIN HCL
I'm only on ONE drug, and I've noticed my trouble swallowing starts after I take my METFORMIN for Type II Diabetes. Trouble swallowing is a documented rare side effect of Metformin HCL. I take only 500 mg each morning. That's enough to cause me problems swallowing even saliva. Hope this info. helps someone. I'm off of it until I see my doctor. Will just cut carbs from my diet until then.
|

replied October 29th, 2011
DIFFICULTY SWALLOWING AFTER METFORMIN HCL
I'm only on ONE drug, and I've noticed my trouble swallowing starts after I take my METFORMIN for Type II Diabetes. Trouble swallowing is a documented rare side effect of Metformin HCL. I take only 500 mg each morning. That's enough to cause me problems swallowing even saliva. Hope this info. helps someone. I'm off of it until I see my doctor. Will just cut carbs from my diet until then.
|

replied February 18th, 2012
hi mines not quite the same, i've had the problem of swallowing for a few days now on and off. my tounge moves just fine its just that theres a pooling of saliva that wont budge anywhere. i've had a bad chesty cough thats dying down and im not on any meds at all. just thankful im not the only one. wish i could know what causes it!
|

replied March 6th, 2012
heyy mines started like 6-7 months ago..itll come n go..like i had da feelin like i couldnt swallow my saliva...n jus 2 weeks ago it came back n it hast breakin out..so i went to get it checked out..i went to an e.n.t an they said it looked fine jus a lil redness....i got endoscopy done n they said i had esophagitis n gastritis..i get da real results in 2 days to find out wats really wrong..i do be havin alota gas in my stomach..but i dnt kno if thats da cause of my problem swallowin saliva...but at times wen im not thinkin or stressin it kinda goes away..i dnt kno if is cuz im stressed or it can be cuz am of my anxiety.....anyone wit similar problem? i wil really apreciate da help thxz jayy
|

replied July 2nd, 2012
I'm 16, and i have trouble swallowing roughly 1 time every 2 or 3 months, I have Anxiety and that's what I belive it to be related to. I have been tested for eniemia and I do not have it. My Harry has been checked, and I'm really healthy, I sick maybe 1 time every winter. So trouble swallowing is kind of new, but I think its fine. I have 3-4 seconds of panic and then I can swallow my saliva agin.
|

User Profile
replied October 14th, 2012
Hi, I'm 13 and I also have been having the same problem, I don't know why it happens but I just keep having a hard time swallowing basically anything! During the day i'm fine but as soon as night strikes I suddenly start to feeling very dizzy and out of breath, but usually whenever I try to swallow my saliva, my eyes start to blur and it feels as if someones squeezing the inside of my neck...This is probably down to me having really bad anxiety and due to iron deficiency which is also a problem, because not being able to swallow for weeks I can't manage to take my pills as much as I used to. Usually I ends up chocking it back up before I actually swallow the darn thing! but I really hope someone knows why this happens to us and what can help to ease it more...
|

replied October 16th, 2012
inability to swallow saliva
This seems to be more common than I thought . I just spent 5 days in the hospital because I finally became so panicked and it was my 3rd trip in 3 week. There seems to be a list of causes ,one being nexium, I have a hiatal hernia ,allergic asthma, and a genetic disease called Ehlers-Danlos so I was blaming one or all. I have tried benadryl atrovent inhaler, beconase nasal spray and on and on. I have now taken to saying out loud "I swallow easily" OK I know it sounds nuts but that's the point I'm at, I'll try anything. I am also back to meditation. A hot cup of coffee helps. A doc I called said 1/2 tsp salt to 1/2 C water spray every hour or 2 in ea. nostril . That has helped. {after I thought about it I boiled the water 1/2tsp salt+1 cup water till its down to 1/2 C plus boiled sprayer in another pan. Better safe than sorry as the sinuses connect to the brain!}
|
12 >>
Quick Reply