Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

Problem staying still

Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
User Profile
i have a problem with staying still. when i am talking with someone i tend to rock back and forth on my feet i sometimes twitch elbows out cause my pitts are uncomfortable when i know i cant move around alot my body goes nutts and i cant stay still my legs get an uncomfortable feeling in the back not a tingling just uncomfortable i cant stand to sit or stand in one place to long i dont like big crowds i am not scared just anti social my mother i believe had me tested when i was young to see why i was so hyperactive and they claimed it might be ADHD could this be it is there anyother possible diagnoses i have heard of restless leg but i dont get the feeling all the time just when i know i gotta be still i sometimes shake the whole bed because i rock my legs back and forth just to be moving and it puts me to sleep drives my girlfriend mad when she is tryin to get to sleep the only thing that fully calms me is when i watch a movie i wont move for hours with that

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2010
ADD and ADHD Answer A11150
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You have made a mention of past diagnosis of ADHD along with antisocial behaviour which is known to be associated with ADHD.
Some experts believe RLS (Restless Legs Syndrome) and periodic limb movement disorder are strongly associated with ADHD in some children. Once started RLS can continue to adult life or it may start any time late in life as well. Dopamine appears to be a factor in both conditions. In addition, many types of medication for the treatment of both conditions affect dopamine levels in the brain. Restless legs syndrome (RLS), also known as Wittmaack-Ekbom's syndrome or Jimmy Legs is a condition that is characterized by an irresistible urge to move one's body to stop uncomfortable or odd sensations. It most commonly affects the legs, but can also affect the arms or torso. Movement will usually bring immediate relief; however, this relief will often be only temporary and partial. Any type of inactivity involving sitting or lying down: reading a book, a plane ride, watching TV or a movie, or taking a nap can trigger the sensations and urge to move. This depends on several factors: the severity of the person’s RLS, the degree of restfulness, the duration of the inactivity, etc. But the variability exists from person to person. The diagnosis is a difficult one but you can consider an appointment with your doctor who may assess your case and decide upon the therapy if it is required for ADHD and associated RLS etc. as definitive diagnosis cannot be made online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our ADD and ADHD , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.