Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

Prilosec and heart issues

Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...
User Profile
At least, that's what it feels like. I started Prilosec for 4 days on doctors orders when I was feeling sick. It turned out at the time my depression meds were off, which was causing flu like symptoms. Since fixing the meds I've felt better, but the Prilosec caused new issues. I've never heart problems in my life, but I woke up on day 4 of the treatment with a racing heartbeat, like I was having a heart attack. I went to the ER, and they gave me a Halter monitor to wear for 48 hours. I left the ER with the diagnosis of "tachycardia" which my folks told me is basically a fast heartbeat.

While I was certainly scared that this happened, (since it never happened before) I kind of shrugged it off and hoped I could get to sleep. I slept fine the next night, but I woke up with a strange feeling in my chest. My chest felt pressured, then felt light, it was very strange. Even as I type this, I am up because it's bothering me so much I can't sleep. My heart rate does all these weird things like dipping and jumping and it feels like sometimes it stops and starts again, just really crazy feelings I've never had before.

I stopped the Prilosec on the 5th day after a doctor on the doctors exchange told me stopping was probably best. But ever since, I've had strange chest pains, pressuring feelings, ringing ears, every now and then terrible left arm pain, dizziness, worse than before heart burn, and it's just all really scaring me.

I've had GERD for about 5 years, and it's been untreated for the past 3. I was on Nexium 3 years ago, and it seemed to work okay, and I didn't have this kind of reaction, but it still wasn't worth the money so I stopped. I haven't changed my diet, and I am overweight by some deal. But I am truly worried something major is wrong, and my folks can't seem to convince me otherwise. Having OCD, depression and anxiety doesn't help the mix, either.

So right now I'm just wondering, could it be the Prilosec, the missed doses of my anti anxiety medications, (Luvox and Seroqeul) or something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am truly scared right now and could use some help or reassurance. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Tachycardia or a rapid heart beat is a potentially serious side effect of Prilosec, that appears infrequently and must be reported immediately to your physician.
Ringing in the ears, dizziness, insomnia, are also side effects that occur in less than 1 percent of people (rare side effects) that are taking the drug.
You should talk with your physician to change your therapy for treating acid reflux.
If you continue to experience the same symptoms after cutting off the Prilosec, you should be treated for your mental issues.
it is well known that acid reflux and anxiety have close relation (people with anxiety usually suffer from acid reflux, and on the other side anxiety intensifies the perception of acid reflux symptoms).
Also, less common symptoms of acid reflux are chest pain and discomfort, with upper abdominal pain.
Most of the acid reflux sufferers experience their symptoms during night sleep.
Stress, anxiety, and depression can lead to tinnitus or ear ringing.
Anxiety can be manifested as a panic attack during night sleep, waking up with sensation of chest pain, dizziness, heart pounding, fear of death.
It seems like you have more conditions contributing to your symptoms, but, you should start with stopping the Prilosec.

Best wishes!
Marija
|
Did you find this post helpful?