Medical Questions > Parenting > Preteens Forum

PreTeen Menstruation

Hello
I have an 11 1/2 year old daughter who physically just began to have early signs of puberty....breast buds, very small amount of secondary hair etc. She is petite but not under weight.
She had her physical two months ago and the NP told us she was at least a year away from menstruation because of her weight, and lack of any real body hair.
She woke up yesterday with what appears to be her period. Bright red blood and enough to need a pad. She has not had one other symtom.....
Should I feel assured this is menstruation and not something else?
All of my sisters and myself were late bloomers (15-16) so I am bit perplexed.

K
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile deteragram
|

User Profile
replied April 13th, 2009
Supporter
I don't know why you would think it was anything but menstruation. Plus, the age of family members has nothing to do with the age of the daughter. I'm the youngest of five girls. I got my first period the earliest of all of us, at the age of eleven. But one of my older sisters didn't get her first one until she was sixteen.
|

replied April 14th, 2009
Actually the age at which a persons mother menstruates is very relevant....it is not a true indicator but one of many.The age at which your mother and female family members enter menopause is the same....
The only reason I questioned it was her pediatrician seemed pretty firm that she was "no where near her period"....
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2009
Supporter
Is she still bleeding or did it stop? If she's still bleeding, and it's a significant amount, then I don't see how it couild be anything but her period.
To clarify my earlier comment, I didn't mean to say that the age a person's mother first menstruated was not relevant, just that is was not an exact measure of when a daughter would start- as I showed in the varying times my sisters and I first menstruated.
|

User Profile
replied August 11th, 2009
you get a period anywhere from 8 to 18, so 11 1/2 is out of the ordanary.
|

User Profile
replied August 11th, 2009
Experienced User
My older sister had her period earlier then me. I'm a late bloomer myself. Got it when I was 16. So, no worries there.
|

replied November 11th, 2009
How much did she weigh at the time? Does her weight go up afterward? My daughter will turn 11 next month. So far, she is around 70 lbs. I heard that girls normally menstruate when they reach approx. 90 lbs.
|

replied December 5th, 2009
chemicals/hormones
i actually read that environmental and lifestyle factors are very relavent, particularly in adolescent girls who consumed non-organic dairy through out their entire lifetime. the girls in the recent generations are exposed to many chemicals, hormones, and toxins in our food, plastics, drinking water, and so on which the previous generations were not. Therefore, the onset of earlier menstruation than that of previous generations is now the norm. In nj, the public school system teaches girls in 5th grade health/PE about menstruation bc 11-12 years old is quite typical and much more common that age 13-14.
|

replied April 16th, 2011
Everyone is different so it doesnt matter when someone gets it its just if you are 10 or younger you have to worry. tell her to have a shower when she is on her period and to change her pad b4 she goes to bed. thats all i can recemend. i got my period in december and every month after december.
|