Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

pressure on the left side more intense after food

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
I feel some kind of pressure on the left side of my abdomen just under the ribs.it becomes more intense after food though not painfull but it makes me uncomfortable while sitting down.and i notice that i always have alot of gas.pls advice

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 26th, 2012
Abdominal Pain Answer A37428
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

Pressure underneath the lower ribs can be probably due to-
1.Peptic ulcer disease: Diagnosis can be confirmed by upper GI endoscopy. Try raising the head of your bed about four inches. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods. Also take some antacid as Rantac in morning for five days but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors.

2.Gall bladder disease- can be stones or cholecystitis. An examination by ultrasound scan will help in diagnosis.

3. Hepatitis- liver problems may manifest this way. A simple blood test - liver function tests will help in diagnosing the problem.

4.Bloating due to excessive gas.

The simple measures that are likely to help you are-
1.Certain foods, such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts and legumes (beans) may worsen bloating and gassiness.

2.Dietary fiber may lessen symptoms.You should drink plenty of water, and avoid soda, which may cause gas and abdominal discomfort.

3.You can use some over the counter drugs like pepto bismol.

4.Restrict alcohol intake and drink lots of water.

If the symptoms persist consider visiting a Physician for evaluation.

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.