Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Pressure Headaches

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Hi, I am a 34 year old woman who had a baby on 4-07-08. I did have complications with my pregnancy and even had to take hormonal medicine (17P) to decrease dilation. I started exercising about 3-4 weeks after delivery. I started back being sexually active around 5 weeks after delivery. I didn't notice any physical changes until after I had my first menstrual cycle. I was intimate a day later after my cycle had gone off which is when I had my first experience of an extreme headache. It didn't last long maybe 10-15 minutes. But I have had sex on three other occassions since then and have also had extreme headaches during the act. I thought it might be a sinus pressure headache so I took Tylenol sinus pressure medicine but I also experienced an extreme headache today during my morning workout. Could this be a sign that something serious is wrong?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Does the headache during sexual activity start as a dull ache on both sides of the head and intensifies as sexual excitement increases, or it appear suddenly during orgasm like pulsing, throbbing pain, around or behind your eyes, or like a sudden blow to the head?
|

replied June 19th, 2008
It starts just before the orgasm and it is pulse like and throbbing on one side.
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are experiencing sexual headaches, that aren't so common, but, can happen and be quite distressing for those who have experienced them.
This type of headache can be accepted as an "exertion" headache.
During vigorous physical activity, body releases certain chemicals that can act as a trigger on the blood vessels in susceptible persons, or the chemicals can act on certain sensitive areas of the brain and trigger a headache.

Both, exercise and sexual headaches are exertional headaches, due to activities that increase intracranial pressure.
Most of the times, sexual headaches are benign, and after several attacks go away and never return again.
That counts for exercise-induced headache, too.
Anyway, it will be a good choice to visit your doctor to exclude some organic pathologies (some neurological problems get apparent with increased intracranial pressure).

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied July 1st, 2008
Thanks for the input. I have actually seen a doctor about the headaches and has requested me to do blood pressure checks each day to determine if this may be a sign of high blood pressure. The headaches are slightly better now. I have to go back in a week to see the doctor so I will let you know what happens. Thanks
|

User Profile
replied July 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You did the right thing visiting your doctor!
I won't feel good if I don't inform you, that in very rare situations, exertion headaches, may raise concern over the possibility of increased intracranial pressure or subarachnoid hemorrhage (brain bleeding)
I don't wanna cause you worries, but, if you noticed that the pain gets more intensive, lasts longer and it's accompanied with other symptoms like neck stiffness, nausea, vomiting, visual disturbances, don't hesitate to visit your doctor and ask for CT of the brain.

If this is only a case of benign exertion headache, I'll suggest you to take anti-inflammmatory drug like indomethacin, 50 or 75 mg, one or two hours prior the activity.
When you start to experience sexual headache, take it slowly.
"Active" partner is more likely to have this headache than the "passive" one.

Enjoy your activities!

Marija wave
|