I found out this weekend I was pregnant. Hoping to see my doctor first thing Monday to verify. I have taken 3 pregnancy tests and I have missed my period for almost two months now. My boyfriend was told he couldn't have children. My main question is the debate over women diagnosed with bi polar having children and being able to be good parents. I am not on medication, infact the last medications I took made me suicidal. I also quit smoking marijiuana. Which has helped me. I have always been able to work and my boyfriend or (shall I say fiance,we were planning on getting married before I found out I was pregnant) are very happy together. I know he will make a wonderful father. He is 47 and i am 26 this November. The best man I have ever known. He has never been married and has no kids. He is very excited. He will also be a great provider, he has been at the same job for 14 yrs. now and makes great money and has helped me go back to school. He also supports me seeing a psychiatrist. The only problem is I have no insurance. My Mother warned me about the Postpardum depression and the mood swings. She adviced I consider my options and see a doctor regulary. Is there help out there? 70% of a poll I looked at said, YES, women with bi polar can make great parents, even better parents than others. Should I be concerned about the other 30% saying that a woman with bi polar is unfit? Secondly, I also have legg calve perthes disease. Will this make my pregnancy difficult or even impossible? I have always worked, I ofcourse quit all pain killers. I tried to look on line about this subject, but seemed to find no help. Thank you for your time.
Relationship wise, it sounds to me like you're in a good spot. Having a guy who loves & supports you through your difficulties and whom you know will be a good father * provider for your child is a blessing!
With regard to the bi-polar disorder, have to exhausted all efforts in terms of medication? Your mother may be right about you being more susceptible to postpartum depression. Seeing a doctor and trying to find a drug that works (if at least for after the delivery) may be a good option to have or keep in mind.
with regard to the legg calve perthes disease, do you have a doctor for this? Ask your doctor how it will affect your pregnancy (if at all) and your OB GYN too. I'm sure they can find a good solution/compromise for you.