Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cystic Fibrosis Forum

Pregnant mom with cystic fibrosis

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
A friend of mine is 7 months pregnant and was told she has cystic fibrosis. 2 test including the new blood test confirm it. She has 2 children from a previous marraige healthy. She had a son that died at 2 mo told from sids and she is pregnant again. Both children from her new husband... She is seriously upset. We look on all kinds of sites and it says average life span in the 30's but can you have the gene and it changes to cf..the doctor told her it mutatied...is that possible...she just found out today her husband's mother has cf too...what should she ask to be done next? She is 33 years old and in the last year has had mild breathing problems...please someone respond..she is devastated
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 16th, 2010
The CF average life-span is 40-45 years old. I am 16 with CF && i have lived with it since i was 3 weeks old. Its hard at times && when the child gets to its teenage years you will have SEVERAL problems trying to get him/her to do their treatments. Eventually, they will learn on their own. You pretty much live a normal life. && when you have CF, if you take care of yourself good enough, you could live the normal life-span. so dont worry(: everything will be fne! (: best of luck!!
|

replied November 27th, 2010
33 years old and just found out ... that is a good sign ... means that she obviously has a very mild case... I have 2 Daughters w/cf one passed away at age 27 yrs in 2008 after receiving 2 lung transplants... she had a 6 yr old daughter... she was very sick all of her life... and the other one is 25 yrs old and doing GREAT!!! Try and stay POSITIVE mentally it will HELP to stay healthier... be grateful that you were able to have kids ... many with CF cannot... DON'T PANIC. Contact the CF foundation for current info and treatments...

Try and keep the faith!!! Peace to you and God bless.
|