Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

5 pregnancy test have been taken, negitive, but no period.?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Hello, I am 4 days late for my period I have taken multiple pregnancy test which were negitive. I have just had my son in december of 2011. I am really stressed, I have upper abdomn pain, discharge, it burns when I pee, and when I cough or yawn my belly hurts really bad like it is being stretched to far. Also the discharge had an odd smell, one I have never had before. I don't know what's going on I am so afraid.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 15th, 2012
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If you are not on any form of regular birth control measures and have been sexually active around ovulation time, chances of pregnancy are possible. If you suspect chances of pregnancy, look out for development of any new symptoms suggestive of pregnancy. Urine pregnancy test kits usually start showing positive results after about 20 days post-conception (roughly corresponding to about 1 week after your missed/altered periods). The test should always be done on early morning first urine sample to get accurate results (pregnancy hormone HCG is believed to be in highest concentration in this sample, and you should avoid lot of fluid intake and caffeinated beverages in the night before taking the test). The altered vaginal discharge and foul smell could also indicate possibility of infection (stress and infection can also delay your periods). Visit your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination (to confirm pregnancy related changes/signs in body) and blood/serum HCG level test (to confirm/rule out pregnancy accurately) if periods do not start within 10 days of expected period dates. If pregnancy gets ruled out, further evaluation would be done to rule out infective causes. Get started on treatment as appropriate. Consider being in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.