Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Pregnancy symptoms but NOT pregnant, what is wrong with me? (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Hi,
After many negative urine results I have now had a blood test which has also come back negative. I am so confused and scared. For the past 8 weeks I have felt nausea for most of the day with severe vomitting in the morning. My breasts ache, I get headaches, am exhausted and have bad dizzy spells, resulting in passing out on the street on one occassion. I have now lost 24lbs in weight due to lack of food.
I put up with it under the belief that I was pregnant. Indeed my GP and nurse where convinced of the same and told me to be patient waiting for positive result. Now I know I am definately not pregnant I am very worried as to what could be wrong. Some people have suggested fybroids or ovarian cysts, but other than slight occasional cramping I am not in any pain.
Do you have any suggestions as to poss conditions that can cause pregnancy symptoms?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper aasy57
|

User Profile
replied January 15th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Get a 2nd opinion...it could be a number of things...it would be best if you are seen by a gynecologist...our bodies are a tad bit more complicated than mens...

Zig
|

replied June 25th, 2011
Hello all,

For anyone who might come across this from google the majority of these symptoms sound exactly like ovarian cysts or uterine fibroids. Ovarian cysts are known to cause "pregnancy" like symptoms. I actually experienced this myself, although I did have an iud so I thought was unlikely I was pregnant. Like many of you, I took at least two pregnancy tests, then when I went to the doctor I had a urine as well as a blood tests performed which to my relief came back negative. The way I discovered my cyst is because I had been having pelvic pain, however, it was not caused by the cyst. The dr I saw thought immediately that I had PID, which I felt as if it was something else even though PID is common for an iud user. He ran tests all came back negative but he still wanted to put me on antibiotics but I refused and asked for an ultrasound. The results come back and low and behold I had a cyst what I'd thought the whole time! Turns out it was a complex ovarian cyst about five inches across. I had every early pregnancy symptom you could think of by the way. This is how I knew it was a cyst because the only other time I had this symptoms when not caused by pregnancy is when my hormones were high or on birth control. Later, I did find that most of my pelvic pain was caused by my iud which my body had been trying to expel for months. My periods were also very weird sometimes I didn't have one and sometimes I had spotting sometimes just plain heavy and long. For those of you who are wondering I did not have the mirena I had paragard which is supposed to make periods heavier at first but when I first got it I had no change to my period so it wasn't normal for my period to be the way it was. I hoped I have possibly helped someone with my incredibly long story.
|
Users who thank aasy57 for this post: ahzzborn 

replied October 30th, 2011
thank you for this posting. i was having the same problems and i had an IUD also. my doctor did find a cyst but did not inform me of the systems that can come with them. i am still waiting to pass it and having pregnancy systems and all tests came back negative. now everything makes since for me, thanks again. (i don't feel like i am going crazy anymore!) Smile
|

replied May 8th, 2012
PCOS - No cure, but does get better
Thank you for posting this for others. I had similar issues. The key is telling the doctor that you are trying to become pregnant. Suddenly, the doctor will do every test imaginable, i.e. blood, urine, ultrasounds. Prior to me mentioning that my husband and I were considering having kids, doctors simply waved off my concerns and pushed for me to use the Pill to regulate my period. I wanted to know what was causing the problem. Long story short-my doctor asked for an ultrasound. She found a golf ball size cyst on one of my ovaries. She suggested surgery in case it was cancer. I said no way! and asked for a second ultrasound within a month. I changed my diet cutting out processed foods, excess sugar, etc. and altered my lifestyle by reducing my stress levels. Either it was this or it ruptured as others here suggest. The second ultrasound came back clear. I have kept up with the healthy fresh food diet, exercise, and drink a lot of water. I lost enough weight that I went from a size 18 back to a 12. I have not had any more issues for the past 3 years. I am very thankful and focus more on appreciating everyday rather than stressing about what more can I do today. It is amazing what stress can lead to - bad food choices, bad habits such as smoking, and putting off exercise with 'oh, I do not have enough time today, etc'. PCOS does not go away; however, it is manageable and controllable through life choices.
|

replied February 19th, 2013
and u get pregnant after that?? Smile
|

replied August 28th, 2013
Thank you! I was relieved to find your posting. I've been on a manhunt for something reassuring regarding my recent encounter with my Mirena IUD and an ovarian cyst. I went to the gyno yesterday - I've gone there for years and went through one pregnancy with them with no problems. However, yesterday seemed to leave me confused and asking many more questions today.

I started having pregnancy symptoms earlier this month, right after my period - which was an unusual period with large clots and darkened spotting.

I dismissed this as a bad ovulation time due to stress. I've encountered this once before last year. Soon, I became worried after my breast tenderness seem to mimic that of my last pregnancy. This is not a normal occurrence for me. I also found myself doubled over one night after waking up (I've been falling asleep where ever I end up sitting - another preggo symptom) on the couch. The pain was immensely sharp and caused nausea. I laid in bed writhing with a heat pad and 800mg of Ibuprofen. Woke up in the morning completely pain free.

I became worried as our last pregnancy was on the Nuva Ring, so I don't exactly trust my body with b/c. Took a test - negative. Great, trusted it was a bad ovulation time. A week later my breasts were still giving me problems, pregnancy symptoms remained. I was also experiencing new symptoms such as a pressure and tingling in the vaginal area.

Went to the gyno yesterday and talked about my worries. Did an exam but she seemed to get very quiet and the exam was different, not the norm. Asked me when I took a pregnancy test - told her a week ago. She informed me that she was going to look at my cervix and then stated she could not locate my IUD.

This has never happened after 3 1/2 years since its insertion. Ordered an immediate u/s. I was kind of shocked by her demeanor and asked her if I could be pregnant jokingly - in a serious response she stated it was probably still too early to tell but let's find out if the IUD is still in place.

The u/s tech did a trans vaginal u/s. I asked her if I was pregnant, could she see it? Her response was the same, it would be too early. She took her time and I tried to banter to keep it light but she became very focused on it and the uncomfortable silence took over. She did an audio monitoring - which scared me. Nothing but my pulse was heard.

Afterwards, she informed me that I had a cyst and that I needed to come back in six weeks and that they are very common. I had to ask her about the IUD and she said she found it and it was in the right position. I left with many more questions than I had originally came with. All of which have been googled to death. I guess my worry is that this "cyst" is the beginning of a gestational sac. That my IUD strings are lost due to uterus being bloated and that they didn't really offer any reassurance of the pregnancy questions other than it is too early to tell.

The whole thing left me upset and confused. The more I read though - it seems the greater conclusion is that this is a normal cyst from ovulation that will dissipate and that in a week's time I should see a period. I would be stunned if the doctor allowed me to walk around with a possible pregnancy without informing me because of my IUD. What really doesn't make sense though is that I have missing strings and they have not offered to try and retrieve the strings, as most sites say should done in this occurrence.
|

replied October 27th, 2011
Hi everyone, the above helped a lot. I've been googling for days trying to find out what was wrong with me. I have pcos and endometriosis but for the last week I have been having terrible cramps and as of the last few days nausea and vomiting, my boobs are sore and nipples are changing, as I have an iud in and havent had sex in 9 weeks my first thought was period, but didnt get one (which didnt suprise me since I havent had one since my iud was put in 5 months ago). So then i took two home pregnancy tests (both negative) and had a full battery of blood tests done at the docs, they callel to tell me I definately wasn't pregnant so now they think its a virus. I really dont believe that though as i have already had a child i no what pregnancy feels like so I was looking for something that fits in with my symptoms and medical hystory. The above post seems to fit perfectly. Tomorrow when I go back to the docs I am definately going to ask for an ultrasound to check on my cysts and iud.
|

replied November 7th, 2011
I wanted to share my experience as I have had a year of thinking I was losing my mind ( and my doctor agreeing) and when I finally insisted on an ultrasound I found I have Polycystic Ovaries (PCOS) i.e lots of tiny cysts on my ovaries.
I had had what I thought were periods that were at the end of cycles that were a bit long, between 5 and 7 weeks but apparently those were false periods so DON'T believe your doctor if he/she tells you you must be ovulating if you're having a bleed every cycle, like mine did, these are known as false periods and normal with PCOS. Ovulation kits are apparently useless for people with PCOS as the hormone levels do not give proper results.
The cysts mimiced every pregnancy symptoms you can think of, sore breasts, feeling of fullness in lower abdomen, getting up more at night to go to the toilet, very strong sense of smell, twinges in uterus, swollen uterus so you actually look a little pregnant, nausea, dizziness, headaches, round ligament pain, pelvic pain, they even changed and progressed week on week in the same way they would have if I was pregnant.
Most women who have this tend to be overweight with possibly extra hair growth as there is too much male hormone present but I am the other type, not overweight but with an imbalance in my luteinising hormone which regulates your luteal phase of your cycle, and therefore the length of my cycle. My cycles were always 5 weeks instead of 4 and went to 7 after I came off the pill.
If you have any suspicion you may have this, check the symptoms on the net, go to your doctor and insist on an ultrasound, blood tests will tell you nothing unless you get a few done over the cycle onthe correct days.
I have cut sugar and white bread/rice/pasta out of my diet and feel much better, no more sharp pains and my other symptoms are very reduced, diet is the main way to help yourselves, google PCOS diet and you'll find what to do. Hopefully I'll be able to conceive naturally with the help of acupuncture and a herb called Agnus Castus which regulates your luteining hormone.
Hopefully this saves someone else from feeling crazy like I did. Please note, some people get no symptoms at all with PCOS and only realise when they have problems conceiving.
|

replied November 19th, 2011
Just a follow up to my post above, the blood tests all came back completely normal and the dr tried telling me that I was just depressed and needed to speek to a councilor. I told him I wanted an ultrasound coz he was wrong about me being depressed, he sent me for an ultrasound and it showed a 5cm cyst on my left ovary. Just goes to show that doctors don't know everything and that you should listen to your own body. The cyst ruptured a few days after the ultrasound and everything is fine now Smile
|
Users who thank samrob16 for this post: pancakess001 

replied January 23rd, 2012
The most common pregnancy symptoms are described here: http://saymommy.com/pregnancy-symptoms/
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied March 31st, 2012
Pregnancy like symptoms
Thank you for this post. I came across this page looking for some answer of why I have pregnancy like symptoms yet my preg tests came out negative ( I took approx 7 PT 3 diff brands) I just got my IUD taken out 2 months ago doc found 2 cysts in the left and right ovaries. Apparently IUD was the one that caused it so I decided to take it out. Month after we tried to conceived. 4 days after I woke up with bad lower back and abdominal cramps, followed by headaches, being hungry a lot, dizziness, and all that pregnancy symptoms. I am a day away from my period and preg tests came out negative. I think it's my cysts that causes all these symptoms. It probably grew or multiplied. P.S if the doc found out that you have a cyst, if you experience a severe abdominal pain that you couldn't walk well it means your cysts raptured. I had that pain and I was taken to the ER and had a ct scan and was told that it raptured but I have another two new ones in my left and right cyst. I will visit my doc in few days and will insist for an ultrasound.
|

replied April 4th, 2012
well i have had pregancy symptoms for the past 3 months and i have also not had a period for the past three months. i have taken three at home pregnancy tests they came back negative and just last week i took a blood test and it also came back negative im curious as to whats causing me to have these syptoms. can any one tell me what they think or if they have had similar expeirences. i have had an ovarion cyst in the past but it did not cause me to have pregnancy symptoms at all. im freaking out because i dont understand whats going on whith my body.
|

replied April 24th, 2012
Not going insane after all!
Wow.. I am so glad to have found this post! I have been having all these pregnancy symptoms for a while now, including the morning sickness, tender breasts, back ache, the lot! I had a 3 day period last month and so far no period this month!!!! However I have been getting sharp stabbing pains in my right lower side! I really thought I was pregnant but ive taken 3 tests including one at the drs and they are ALL negative! Having blood tests to confirm monday but the Dr is SURE I am not! I will now be requesting a scan of my overies! Not going mental after all!
|

replied July 13th, 2012
pregnancy symptoms not pregnant and freaking out
ive been having pregnancy symptoms for the last 2-3 months ive taken 2 at home test and my doc gave me a blood test im not pregnant i was on depo and ive not had a period in 2yrs for some reason so i do not know when im gonna ovulate im not menapuasal i just turned 31 here are my symptoms exactly every morning puking my boobs hurt im tired alot no energy peeing more back sore leg cramps oh and im leaking from certain parts i shouldnt be the sight and smell of foods make the nausea worse and headaches and light headed and dizzy alot please help me
sincerely tiffany
|

replied December 6th, 2012
Pregnancy symptoms, negative results. I am so confused.
I have had pregnancy symptoms for the past 3 weeks and every home pregnancy test I have taken said negative. I have had my tubes tied nearly 10 years ago but I was told that it is possible that I could get pregnant. However, I had been told my doctor that I was not. I am hoping that I don't have anything seriously wrong with me. If I am pregnant, my husband and I will be happy. However, if something is really wrong, I am going to petrified.
|

replied February 10th, 2013
Hi I am a teen and I have a baby bump and my breast hurt lower back pain feeling sick every time I eat headache heartburn sometimes took 3 pregnancy test per week all negative mom dose not know need some advice please help me thank you
|

replied February 10th, 2013
Hi I am a teen and I have a baby bump and all the symptoms took a 3 test each week all negative what should I do please give me some advice thanks youn
|

replied February 15th, 2013
Negative tests, no period? And still think I'm pregnant ?
Hey lasey,

I also don't know what going on with me. It's sad your going through this at such a young age but just to reassure you, you will be fine. I am also experiencing a lot of pregnancy symptoms, such as, super sensitive nose, and can smell things from a mile a way. I'm fatigue and get tired quite easy, after doing not much work at all. Lower back pains, going to the toilet more often, it's been two weeks and I haven't had a full sleep, I can tell you it's getting a tad annoying. I get very light headed and dizzy at times, sometimes I feel very hot all of a sudden and then goes away. I have had experienced food cravings and do not really enjoy the taste of foods that I know I love anymore. My stomach grumbles at me all the time especially at night time, and I'm not hungry, also sometimes I feel bloated and I am experiencing constipation (sorry) and I am a bit more gassier and little burp/hiccups. I had been thinking I was pregnant even before I was expecting my period, but when my period was due, it did not come, and I am quite regular because I take the pill. Instead I had spotting for a couple of days, not even enough blood to wear a panty liner did not come out. Until my partner and I had intercourse and it became a little heavier but still not enough for a period,
I wanted to know what this was I was going through, and if anyone could tell me if this is a pregnancy or not??
I had a urine and blood test done a few days ago, when the bleeding became heavier (but not enough for even a light period) and both came out negative.
Any advice? Was it too early?
|

replied March 16th, 2013
I have pretty much the same issues....did you find anything helpful out?
|

replied March 16th, 2013
I have pretty much the same issues....did you find anything helpful out?
|

replied March 9th, 2013
Join the club. We have cookies.
I have been experiencing all of the same symptoms as pregnancy. Headaches, swollen breasts, swelling abdomen, etc. I am on birth control and am highly paranoid about pregnancy so I have taken several tests. One in January, one last month and one this month. All negative. The first two were done at the Dr. office. I'm fairly sure I'm not going to spawn. However, I do have PCOS and have recently been flagged for cervical cancer cells. I believe that my symptoms are stemming from the PCOS. It is quite possible that my cysts are re-occuring, seeing as I had these symptoms when my cysts were bad (while I was with a woman, assuring there was no chance of pregnancy). I will wait a while longer, retest, and hope for the best. Though I'm sure they would have found something on the first round of biopsies done in my cervix. Gotta re-do the biopsies in a week and a half. So we'll see then.
|

replied March 10th, 2013
Oh no Jade, i really hope you are okay and all is well with you.
I'll just give you an update on how i am going. It has been two months now without a period, last month was a little spotting this month when i was to expect my period, nothing, it has been 4 days. My partner and i are going to go to the doctor on Tuesday to see if i could get an ultrasound, because i haven't yet received a positive hpt. Fingers crossed. Feeling quite anxious.
|

replied March 14th, 2013
I'm also a teenager, and have been having the same symptoms. Lower back ache, nausea vomiting, dizziness while getting up,head aches, cramping in my stomach, sore nipples (before my period) and my stomach feels sore or numb when I wake-up in the mornings .I took a home test and it said "not pregnant " I've gotten all my periods. I went to the doctor and they didn't do anything!! My boyfriend doesn't think I'm pregnant, we haven't had sex in like 3 months. I'm still freaking out cause my sister think I might be.
|

replied March 14th, 2013
I'm also a teenager, and have been having the same symptoms. Lower back ache, nausea vomiting, dizziness while getting up,head aches, cramping in my stomach, sore nipples (before my period) .I took a home test and it said "not pregnant " I've gotten all my periods. I went to the doctor and they didn't do anything!! My boyfriend doesn't think I'm pregnant, we haven't had sex in like 3 months. I'm still freaking out cause my sister think I might be.
|
12 >>