Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

pregnancy at 48 ?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
what are the chances of getting pregnant at 48
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 9th, 2009
Especially eHealthy
If you haven't gone through menopause, you could still get pregnant at that age. I don't know how healthy it would be for a mother or the child... And socially it would be very awkward to have a 53 year old mother taking you to school. Then at graduation the mother would be 66. Paying for college and trying to retire would be incredibly difficult - not to mention all the energy it takes raising a kid.

But possible? Yes.
|

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2009
Supporter
It is possible and women are having babies in their 50s but personally I don't think it is fair to the child. At 48 you may still feel young but think about the child who will possibly lose their parent at such a young age when they need them the most: graduating from high school, going to college, getting married and everything else that comes with life. There is also a big possibility of having a child with downs syndrome at 48.
|

replied October 17th, 2010
Older mums - go for it!
I see lots of grandparents (age 55 and over) doing the school run now and childminding because the parents who are in their twenties or thirties are too busy with their careers to care for their own kids and so dump them on grandparents. Older mothers (and I am one) have more money, have done the career thing and want to spend quality time with their much wanted kids. Young parents can die too. If you want and can have a child in your forties you are probably very healthy in the first place and taking care of yourself.
|