Medical Questions > Cancer > Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Forum

precancerous cells laser treatment

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
User Profile
since the age of 21(16 years) i have had a several abnormal smear tests, 3 or 4 times i have had laser treatment to remove the precancerous cells from my cervix,i have always had and continue to have annual tests. just before christmas i was told that the precancerous cells had spread to my vagina. i have had laser treatment for this and have been told to go back for a repeat test in 6months.i had quite a large area removed. i just want to know am i more likely to get cancer due to previously having precancerous cells and now that they have started to spread.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 12th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
That is a great question, Cassie. I do not know the answer to that but I wanted to respond so you wouldn't think you were being ignored.

What does your doctor say about it?
|

User Profile
replied April 12th, 2008
thnx for replying ingi :)
ol @ answering my question so i didnt feel ignored.thats really sweet of you thanks. tlhe problem is i suffer from depression and anxiety, and have a history of abuse so when i go to the doctors (especially for womens problems) i become very withdrawn and find it impossible to ask questions.i was just hoping someone might have experienced the same (not that id wish that on anyone)or just have some knowledge on the subject. i have trawled the internet and found loads of stuff on precancerous cells but nothing about them spreading.once again thanks for being so thoughtful.take care
|

User Profile
replied April 15th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, casieuk!
Having a Pap smear that showed precancerous cells is a certain risk factor to undergo a Pap smear annually, as in your cases. Having a larger area of precancerous cells is a indication to have Pap smear earlier, because sometimes it takes shorter period than a year for precancerous cells to develop into cancerous.
This does not mean you have cervical cancer. It means that some of the cells were abnormal and that if they were left untreated, they could go on to develop into cervical cancer.
What was the exact diagnosis from the biopsy?
Is the lesion identified as low-grade or high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion?
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2008
hi mandms.thanks for taking the time to reply.i booked an appointment to be seen at the hospital and they saw me today,basically they told me what you have told me, that as long as i keep up with the treatment and regular check ups then im not likely to develop cancer. the changes were CIN III. the other thing i was worried about was that i didnt think my appointment was for another 5 months but when i was at the hospital today they said they had sent out a letter for a check up early next month. thanks for your help. take care
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Cassieuk
Glad that you have encouraging and good news on your results. We just have to have a head's up attitude and take care of our health young lady.

Take care.

Roberta
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Casseieuk I understand about finding it difficult to talk to doctors about female problems. I have had a few doctors and their personalities make a difference in how comfortable I feel talking with them about these issues. Try to look for a doctor you feel comfortable talking with. This kind of doctor is really one you must have good chemistry with because it about delicate subject. It looks to me from what you have written that you most likely have high risk strain of hpv and you will have to keep in check with pap smears the rest of life. You won't ever have cancer so as long as you keep your checks on schedule. Also important for you will be to have a low stress life and eat healthy and I advice take folic acid supplements. The stronger your inmune system the better for you. You will be fine!
|

User Profile
replied April 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome, cassieuk!
CIN 3, sometimes, is known as cancer in situ and involves only the surface cells and has not spread into deeper tissue. Some of the cells look cancerous, but they are all contained within the skin covering the cervix.
As long as the affected area is removed, cancer can be prevented.
Smoking and immunodeficiency are considered contributing factors for cervical cells changes.

Best wishes!
Marija
|