Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Pounding heart at night and arrhythmia

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I'm 24 and male and last year I had a panic attack and pyschotic episode following a few months of prolongued stress. In my psychosis I downed some whiskey, not a huge amount, maybe half a tumbler, after taking a sleeping pill (zopiclone). I was put on anti-psychotics (risperidone) which I had a bad reaction to - couldn't eat, drink, high blood sugar then low blood sugar. While on risperidone I took a stelazine tablet (another anti-psychotic) prescribed by my doctor which left me constipated for almost three weeks - that's right nearly three weeks without a poo! After a couple of months on risperidone I was switched to olanzapine. On olanzapine I often suffered from arrhythmia. I reduced my dosage over four months and came off the medication against the wishes of my doctors.

I feel fine mentally, back to my usual self. However I've become aware of changes in my health, particularly my heart. I have terrible pounding heart at night which keeps me awake for hours on end although my pulse often hangs around the 60-90 range. I don't believe it's related to anxiety as I don't feel anxious at all. I still get daily arrhythmias, as well as occasional pain in my chest, right in my heart, when I exercise. Does anyone think I might have a medical condition?

I suffered from none of these symptoms before my panic attack and before I took all those meds. To anyone who thinks they might be having a panic attack or a pyschotic episode I advise you to avoid anti-pyschotic medications if you can. I recently read that El Lilly commpany - who manufacture olanzapine, have paid out a total of $500million following lawsuits against them from people who had taken olanzapine and then developed diabetes.
Did you find this post helpful?
|