Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

posterior mediastinal tumor

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
Last Friday, I went in for a cardiac catheter procedure. I have hypertensive cardiomyopathy and 2nd degree AV block type 2. The procedure was to assess the state of my arteries before determining the need for a pacemaker. At that time, the cardiologist found a "mass" located directly behind my heart. I was immediately sent for an MRI the same day. The cardiologist there concluded that I have a posterior mediastinal tumor approximately 4.5cm in size directly behind the heart. Both main arteries run to this "very vascular" tumor. I am being referred to a thoracic surgeon Monday. Has anyone else had experience with this? I am relatively sure it is a neurogenic tumor of some kind which tend to be benign, but considering it is tied into my arteries and I have had loads of symptoms (back pain, chest pain, bradycardia, tachycardia, fatigue, dizziness, etc) I am slightly concerned. I am also not sure how it can be operated on considering its location. Any advice would be appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|