Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

Post surgical Fem-Pop Bypass nerve damage

I was diagnosed with PAD in 2003. I have had 2 unsuccessful femoral & iliac stent surgeries, an aortobifemoral bypass w/14xmm hemoshield graft in 2004. On 1/4/2008 an unsuccessful Rotational Artherectomy, left leg, femoral artery.

On Nov. 18 2009 I had surgery preformed on the left femoral to above knee popliteal artery bypass with saphenous vein graft. It was called Fem-Pop.

Recovery has been slow and very painful. I called the Doctor's office and spoke to one of his assistants who had very little information on post surgical pain except to suggest nerve damage resulting from the surgery. I am experiencing severe pain, a burning sensation, foot and leg cramps which have eased some what. After 2 weeks I was given a 30 day prescription for Elavil which had little effect. I get minimal relief from Naproxen. The front and calf of the leg is painful when touched or rubbed and the back of the knee is painful as well. I have been able to increase the length of time I can stand and walk although it has been a slow process.

Are these damaged nerves going to heal? If so what would be the average time for that to heal? Could the damage be permanent? Should I have tests to check for nerve damage? Is there anything that can be done to encourage the healing process?

Thanking you in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 20th, 2009
Have you had any helpful information on tihs condition as my father has very similar symptoms after the same procedures (stent followed by bypass)
|
Did you find this post helpful?