Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Post Operative Hernia Success?

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
Hi,
Reading a lot of these posts is very scary. I am 23 and I recently discovered I had a hernia, and the doctor has confirmed it and recommended surgery. The hernia is very small, and has only popped out very few times, I can feel it wants to come out when I cough hard sometimes. It is not painful and has had no effect on my life. However, I plan on applying to the Peace Corps and they will not accept me with an inguinal hernia. This has been one of my dreams for a long time, which is why I plan on having the surgery. The other reasons is that my doctor says I am young and active, and will most likely need it repaired sooner or later as hernias do not improve on their own. Moreover, I am under a family insurance plan, so it will be of no cost to me.

So with that said, I want to know about the success stories. How many people have had hernia repair surgery and experience no chronic pain after their surgery? Were you able to resume an active lifestyle? I understand that many of the people on this forum have chronic pain, and I sympathize greatly with you; I can't imagine living with the pain some of you described, which is why I am so apprehensive about getting the surgery when the hernia is not bothering me at all at this point in my life.
Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 15th, 2012
Hiatal hernia surgery questions
I look forward to responses to your question. I HOPE a doctor weighs in on this. Unfortunately, people that have great success stories generally do not take the time to post their successes on the net. They go back to living their full lives. Those who have issues post far more often, therefore it seems like the failure rate is very high.

If a doctor does reply, PLEASE let us know;

The success rate,

Can full activities be resumed after recovery time is allowed, such as lifting weights, paddling a canoe

Where are the top surgical centers (we cannot all afford the Mayo clinic)

What is the average cost of the procedure (laproscopic) or, what is the range of costs.

Hoping to get back to life,
jpek
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied February 20th, 2012
Hi,
There is a site that I found that may be able to help answer your questions. I think it is a great resource.
Regards,
Miles
|

replied February 23rd, 2012
Experienced User
Miles,

That website you gave offers very little to no information of value for hernia sufferers; and when you try to get information about the doctors on staff or pricing for hernia surgery, the website forces you to register by asking tons of personal information. This is not a free flow of information website that people can go to for to the point information. The more I look at this website, it seems like a website just to collect you information to pedal it to someone else so that they can call you or write you to try and get your business. When websites make you register to simply read about hernias, repairs, doctors and costs, there is something not right about them.
|

Experienced User
Okay, I just called that website - hernianetwork - and there is definitely something not right. The person answering the phone had NO information to give me - nothing on cost, nothing on the doctors performing the surgery, NOTHING. She wanted a bunch of personal information just to have someone return my call - my date of birth, my insurance carrier, my last name. I declined and told her I wanted someone to call me to answer my simple questions. BE CAREFUL with this website. There is just something strange about it that doesn't sit right with me.
|

Experienced User
Be VERY careful with that website above - hernianetwork

I spoke to a rep and they wouldn't tell me any doctors names or pricing unless I registered and gave out a lot of personal information (full name, address, ph. #, etc). They act like some sore of booking/referral service to doctors and try to orchestrate everything for you. When I asked again how many doctors names I would be given to contact, I was told that they don't do that. I don't feel comfortable letting someone else choose the surgeon for me and that is what it sounded like. I asked for pricing again and I got no definitive answer. There is something VERY suspicious about that website.
|