Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

post operation side effect on abdominal muscles

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
i had inguinal hernia surgery last year.it was successful until recently when i had a flu and started coughing and sneezing repeatedly.then i started having pain above the hernia scar whenever i stand or whenever i have a movement to thd lower abdomen ie when the lower abdominal muscles enter in action.i have no pain at all while sitting or sleeping.i went to the surgeon who operated me and he told me the hernia surgery is excellent and the symptoms i am having are duf to a muscle strain or pull to the groin.he gave me antiinflammatories and muscle relaxants but i am still having pain whenever i stand or move my abdominal muscles.
can someone help?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 8th, 2011
Experienced User
yeah, go get another opinion by two other surgeons that SPECIALIZE in hernia repairs. trust me, you - like many of us here, will get NO straight answer from the surgeon that did the original surgery. an overwhelming 85% or more of doctors that do the initial surgery will NEVER admit that there is a problem with your repair. NEVER!! and to be fair, there truly may be nothing wrong with your repair, but when you have 85% of the surgeons not being honest with you, you have to wonder. i will share with you, from my research, that there are patients that suffer muscle atrophy in the surrounding areas of a hernia repair after it is done. i won't go into a long-winded explanation why that is, but do some googling on "hernias and muscle atrophy" and i'm sure you will find the articles that I found. but do see a different doctor to get that second and third opinion.
|

replied October 10th, 2011
yes this is what i will do ..thank you for the reply
|