Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Post-Op Appendectomy Pain in belly that feels like knot

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
About 6 weeks post-op, my belly button started to feel tender and it progressed in several days, and the rim of my belly button got "hard" and I could feel like a small knot that was VERY tender and painful to the touch if I pressed down. Went to doc...he said most likely incisional hernia, but give it some time. One week passed, my belly button got better, but the "knot" and same pain migrated over to the right side of my belly button...and this time you could really feel an area that was hard. Returned to Doc - this time he felt it and said he never felt something like that after laproscopic surgery. But, he again said, seems like an incarcerated incisioinal hernia - since it is incarcerated it will hurt and that it will either reduce swelling and feel better or will be strangulated and die off - since its just fat, he said that is OK.

Well, 5 days pass since then...that area fells totally fine and the pain and knot are now BELOW my belly button.

I'm totally confused. How is this pain and this :"knot" keep moving. Does a hernia move? My wife thinks it just the fat that is protruding through the hernia is moving spots. But, how can that be? i have not been able to find anything that describes a hernia in that manner.

I'm sorta freaked out and thinking that something was left inside of me??? Is that possible? How can this "knot" and pain keep moving?

I asked doc if he could give me an ultrasound to confirm hernia and he said he could only do that with a CT Scan. I don't buy that ... is that true?

Next week I plan on finding a different surgeon for another opinion.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 8th, 2010
6 week appendectomy pain
Really glad to see this post..I had lap. appy on feb 26th I am almost 6 weeks post op..I too over the last week have devoped a hard painful/tender knot right above my belly button and now the pain is increasing, having nausea and it is now also moving toward the right side of my belly button..although I still feel the knot where it was..it just seems like it is getting bigger..i have an appt. w/ my surgeon today so we will see.
|

replied April 8th, 2010
Let me know what he/she says.

I never got a second opinion (at least not yet) because my "knot" ended up moving to under my belly button, then slowly just went away. Last 3 days the pain has gone away and I can feel it if I really press down on it. Now, I just have some unrelated pain on my right side, like a pulilng from my abodoment to my groin area. I've been told this is probably an "adhesion" that should eventually go away.

When I saw my doc last, he said to resume normal activites. So, I've been doing yard work etc....even straining myself...and I resumed jogging - I almost think that this exercise actually helped things.

I was really upset (and still) am at the thought that this might be an incisional hernia. I really hope its not..and if it is, hopefully it remains a small one that won't require surgery. I am happy that I've been able to resume activities without new pain and without having to restrain myself.
|

replied April 25th, 2010
I had an umbilical hernia after my laproscopic appendectomy, my surgeon told me that it would go away as well. After living with occasional pain for 6 months I had a ct which showed the hernia which at that time was the size of a baseball. Needless to say I would agree with the ct. There is a way to find out if it is still there. lay on your bed press your hand firmly against your belly button and cough, if your not jumps then I would see a Gastro. mine saved my life. Smile
|