Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Recovery & Post-Op Forum

post op- about 25 red raised itchy areas that burn?

User Profile
I had shoulder surgery on aug 5th. on Monday this week, i noticed about 7 areas on my operative arm, starting at my shoulder and following down a line to about 3 inches above elbow, that were red and raised. by wed morning there were about 25 or so. they are now itching and my skin around them and the bumps themselves burn and i get prickly hot needle feelings inside my skin. i have severe pain, but also had surgery. My surgeon said to expect the pain for a long time and was unsure of what the bumps were. i have applied cortisone 7 times and have taken benedryl with no relief. I put the polar ice on my arm last night, over the top of my long sleeve shirt, as i have always done, and when i woke up there were no bumps. immediately after my shower, they were back with a vengence. please help me

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 23rd, 2011
Recovery & Post-Op Answer A26243

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. From the symptoms that these rashes come and go, the possibility of hives is there. Hives (medically known as urticaria) are red, raised areas of skin that appear in varying shapes and sizes. They have a tendency to change size rapidly and to move around, disappearing in one place and reappearing in other places, often in a matter of hours.

Allergic reaction to the drugs, medications or metallic implants (if used in your shoulder surgery) can be the cause of these itchy bumps. I suggest you to get these bumps examined from a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis.

Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin after consulting your doctor and also get prescribed some mild steroid cream.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Recovery & Post-Op , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.