Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

Post Mammogram Breast Pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I had my mammogram on the 22nd and here it is the 31st and my right breast continues to feel like I have a deep bruise and to take a deep breath, raise my arm up or reach and the pain bring tears to my eyes.

Technician probably squeezed me too hard. And to think I have to be squeezed again next week along with an ultrasound.

I have tried ice packs, heat, NASIDs, Ibuprofen with very little relief...and massage is definately out of the question.

Has anybody else experienced this and was it due to too much pressure during the mammogram? What did you do for relief and how long did it take to get relief?

~Zig
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 3rd, 2008
Experienced User
Wow. That sounds painful. My mammogram wasn't that painful afterwards. I'd suggest that you talk with the technician or even file a complaint at the clinic...or call and see what they would suggest. I'm sorry you're going through it. Is the pain better after the weekend?
|

User Profile
replied November 4th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Today being 4 Nov and the pain has decreased quite a bit but if I make a wrong move and I don't know what move that would be until I feel that pain once more.

I get squeezed again tomorrow afternoon and trust me I will speak and they will listen.
|

User Profile
Supporter
HI Girlfriend!
Zig, I wish I lived near you, I'd go with you..............now you wanna talk about breast pain? I just got my "new set" this past Wed. Actually I went from a 38D to a 38 B after the mastectomy...........sounds to me like the tech pinched a muscle or nerve in yours. You got any flexeril? These are miracle pills for me! Why are you going for ultrasound? I also had to do this when they found the "unidentified" spot. Plese pm me and keep me posted! Wish I could wave this wand and be there with you! POOF! HUGS!
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Wow, time sure does fly. I didn't realize it was that time already. How are you doing?

Dense breasts and my right one needs further evaluation. ..insurance protocols that I must jump through. I would rather just go right for the test that is most effective.

We've only a state away...however quite a few miles...

~Zig
|

User Profile
replied November 5th, 2008
Supporter
Thinking about you
Deb, Just a GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE and hope you know I am wihth you in spirit this morning. I do know and understand EXACTLY what you are having to go through today....but hey, you're gonna be JUST GRAND! Hide and See! PM me or send me email.you have my address! FGM
|
Users who thank Fairy Godmother for this post: zigemyster 

User Profile
replied November 6th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Update
I had a 2nd mammogram followed by an ultrasound yesterday and this evening I am beginning to feel the pain once more but not as intense.

I am scheduled to see a surgeon on Monday as I have two suspicious abnormalities in my right breast and biopsies are required.

What I find truly strange is the pain that I now feel in that breast is where these two unknowns lie.

You see, I have extremely dense breasts, and when I shower each and everyday I figured I should have noticed them however they are hidden very well and I've always felt as if mine were bumpy and found nothing unusual.

Summary Findings: 10 o'clock position of the breast is an ill-defined area of partially circumscribed hypoechogenicity measuring 7 x 6 x approx 9 mm in size. Demostrates internal vascularity. 12 o'clock position, immediatey supraareolar. This is more well defined and more strikingly hypoechoic with internal hypervascularity...

I prepare for the worst and expect the best. Fairy GodMother, you're an Earth Angel...Thank You.

~Zig
|
Users who thank zigemyster for this post: Fairy Godmother