Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Post Lithotripsy

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
I had lithotripsy two weeks ago on a 5mm kidney stone in my left ureter and after four days of horrific urge to urinate I passed the stone. There was no stent and it was lodged in my ureter for weeks preceding. I had mild hydronephrosis but post stone CT Scan the urologist said not anymore. The trouble is that ever since three days after the ESWL I began having a dull discomfort on the left side that feels like a constant tug or pull. Sometimes it is left abdomen but mostly on the side. It is almost crampy at times and is much worse sitting as opposed to standing or even lying down. Waking up is its best and seems like after a big meal its worst although I'm not sure. It is pretty constant and worrisome. No fever, no vomit, a little diarrhea here and there, no UTI. Any ideas? I'm on no meds.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 14th, 2017
Welcome to e health forum.

ESWL is a well-established, safe and effective therapeutic alternative to surgical treatment for urolithiasis. Complications of ESWL do occur in a small number of patients, and when they do, they typically involve the kidney.

Lithotripsy attempts to break up the stone with minimal collateral damage through the use of an externally applied, focused, and high-intensity acoustic pulse. The successive shock wave pressure pulse results in direct shearing forces, as well as cavitation bubbles surrounding the stone, and this fragments the stones into smaller pieces that can then easily pass through the ureter.

Because it is a noninvasive and safe treatment, complications of ESWL occur in only 3% to 7% of the patients who undergo this procedure. the complications are usually mild, and life-threatening complications are extremely rare .

Most of the complications include transient gross hematuria, flank pain, and urinary tract infection that can usually be treated with conservative management.

You might consult with your doctor and ask for better pain medications which might help you manage your pain better.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Diarrhea
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.