Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Post Lithotripsy pain (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I had this procedure done last Friday on my right kidney. 2 days later, I started experiencing a constant cramp-like pain up and down my leg starting near my right buttock and ending in front of my lower leg. It is especially worse at night while lying in bed. My doctor (a top urologist at a local hospital I might add) says it had nothing to do with the procedure but may be due to back problems. I have NEVER had ANY back problems or pain in my lifetime! I find it extremely hard to believe this is a coincidence and feel it is a direct result of the procedure. Any thoughts on this and can I expect this pain to go away with time?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper allybryn1
|

replied February 3rd, 2009
Lithotripsy Pain
I practice Emergency Medicine, but I suffer from renal stones and in fact had lithotripsy myself today.

My advice to you would be to go to the ER and and have a physician look at you. Post operative pain is not uncommon- I am having some now- but the way you describe the pain is not really consistent with neuropathic pain associated with back problems. THe pain will subside as the stones pass to the bladder, but the ureters could spasm for a few days beyond clearing the stones. Could it be coming from your back? Yes, it is possible. That determination cannot really be made without an examination and further history taking.

If you have any fever, nausea, or vomiting, I would go to the ER and let them check you out. Believe me, I am the last person who would encourage you to go the ER for no reason, we have enough of that as it is.

Hope that helps.
|

replied July 27th, 2011
Kidney stone, ER, and Lipotripsy
I am sure you are a good ER doctor, BUT I would not follow your advice because I was severely mistreated by an ER doctor at a local hospital ER for a kidney stone. I had a prescription from my Rheumatologist for one vicodin 5mg TID which disclosed on my admitance form and interview with ER personel. The ER doctor wanted to know what I was doing taking a NARCOTIC (not vicodin, I guess she couldn't pronounce it) Don't have enough space to tell you all of the stuff she spewed out, but I will never go back to that ER again, EVER. If you think that one 5 mg vicodin three times a day for a kidney stone attack, you went to the wrong medical school. Sorry if this seems somewhat sarcastic, but I am still mad! Filed a complaint with the hospital, but they say they have no control over ER doctors.
|

replied July 27th, 2011
Kidney stone, ER, and Lipotripsy
I am sure you are a good ER doctor, BUT I would not follow your advice because I was severely mistreated by an ER doctor at a local hospital ER for a kidney stone. I had a prescription from my Rheumatologist for one vicodin 5mg TID which disclosed on my admitance form and interview with ER personel. The ER doctor wanted to know what I was doing taking a NARCOTIC (not vicodin, I guess she couldn't pronounce it) Don't have enough space to tell you all of the stuff she spewed out, but I will never go back to that ER again, EVER. If you think that one 5 mg vicodin three times a day for a kidney stone attack, you went to the wrong medical school. Sorry if this seems somewhat sarcastic, but I am still mad! Filed a complaint with the hospital, but they say they have no control over ER doctors.
|

replied February 4th, 2009
Post Lithotripsy Pain
This is a followup to my original post on 01/23/09. My internist prescribed a short term dose of prednisone (steroid) over 6 days. By the 6th day the pain was gone and, thankfully, has not returned. I now have my fingers crossed that it will not return when I have another lithotripsy procedure again on the right kidney (there is one stone remaining) and then on the left kidney the following month. Thanks for the response!
|

replied February 21st, 2009
post lithrotripsy
I had lithro done 3 days ago i have been in mild pain but really nauseated and dizzy the whole from of my stomach is sore and i really dont know what to do???If anyone has any suggestions please help!
|

replied February 23rd, 2009
Severe pain
I had lithotripsy done on my right kidney last Thursday (2/19/09). I have been in extreme pain ever since. I cannot lay in bed and have been taking pain medication around the clock with little relief. My urologist sent me to the ER yesterday and even the IV pain meds did little to help. They did a CAT scan and found that the stones were broken up. The only answers I got were that my kidney and the surrounding area is bruised and I may have had some blockage when the pain becomes extremely severe. Does anyone else have any advice or have had a similiar reaction?
|

replied August 7th, 2013
I HAVE BEEN GOING THRU SAME EXACT THING HAD TOGO BACK TO ER AFTER THEY SENT ME HOME WITH STENT DUE TO I GOT AN INFECTION RIGHT AWAY AFTER NOT EVEN THE DILODID DRIP TOOK THE PAIN AWAY MASSIVE STONES THAT WHERE BROKEN UP HURT LIKE HECKK!!! I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!EVEN AT HOME NOW I'M GOING THRU IT WORSE PAIN EVER!!! I FOUND RELEIF IN HOT SHOWERS HITTING THE HURT AREAS LOTS OF PAIN MEDS LAY ON SIDE THAT HURTS PRAY LET IT HEAL !!! REST !! TAKE CARE GOD BLESS!! LEMONS AFTER YOU HEAL TO PREVENT FROM EVER GOING THRU THIS AGAIN AND I JUST BOUGHT A JUICER TO START MAKING DRINKS!!!
|

User Profile
replied February 1st, 2014
I'm relieved to have read your story and others, finding it most helpful. I am sitting here, crying from the pain, which is so much worse than the 6 weeks I endured prior to the Lithotripsy, which I had yesterday morning (about 24 hours ago.) It feels like shards of glass are stuck down there (general pelvic area - I am a woman, and it feels most like the worst menstrual cramping of my life - long over now, but so much worse - like I was kicked in both kidneys. The stone was only in the right kidney and I'm having severe pain on both sides, unlike prior to the surgery, which was only on the right. And now, I feel the urge to pee, but very little trickles out. Small amount of blood visible. I understand this is common and to be expected? Any feedback from anyone would be most appreciated.
|

replied March 30th, 2009
I had laser surgery Friday.
Since then all I can do is lay flat on my back with my left arm over my head and take pain meds. I hope my doctor either takes my pain serious and figures out what to do to fix it or gives me pain meds until he can figure it out.
|

replied December 18th, 2009
Pain after Lithipripsy
I just had mine done yesterday morning. I barely made it through the night. My stone is on the left side and I feel it back around my kidney to around front of my stomach. The only thing that got me through the night was a heating pad right on my back, the pain pills the doctor gave me and my Ambien.

This first night was a rough one. Let's hope the rest go better.
|

replied January 20th, 2010
I had my 3rd lithotripsy done yesterday. This is the first one that is keeping me up all night. I am ready to call my doc to see if I should increase my pain medicine.(Hydromorphone HCL 2mg) I also feel it up, down, in and around my kidney to the front of my stomach. I have been on the heating pad all day and night. No relief. Been drinking lots of water. I have fragments left in both kidneys. I am at my wits end with these stones and the pain that goes along with them. The medical profession needs to find a newer and better way to get those fragments out that are left over post surgery!
|

replied September 17th, 2010
im having my Lithotripsy done in about 3 hrs im wondering what to expect after what kind of pain or how long it last
|

replied October 21st, 2010
Lithotripsy
U shud b using Torradol aka ketorolac. Works wonders for this pain. I haven't found any other pain med that helps like Torradol
I had litho 3 days ago for a 7mm stone. A small piece passed abt 2-3 hrs after
3 days later i just passed a chunk abt 3-4mm. I still have residual left flank pain. I am not sure if it's still irritated nerves (stone been trying to pass via ureter but too big for about 3 weeks) or post litho soreness. A lot of the stone was blasted into pieces that are smaller than gold flakes
|

replied October 31st, 2010
pain after lithotripsy
I am sorry to hear of all your pain...but also so very glad to hear I am not the only one! I have been told by all my friends and family that I have such a high pain tolerance and need to pay attention to things before they get so bad...but I am totally a baby with this. I know I have a high threshold of pain tolerance...I have had over 20 surgeries/operations in my lifetime and I have come home the same day of half of them and my family have MADE me stay down as I was up and running like nothing had happened. This time around tho I am in incruciating pain!! After the lithotripsy, cystoscopy, and insertion of a stent I thought I had been beaten with a baseball bat. The painb meds they gave me DID NOT work...they gave me injection of something in recovery that they had to watch me an hour for, and repeatedly had to remind me to breathe. But it only took the pain from a 10 to an 8. I think they did not believe me, but the fact that I couldn't/wouldn't talk, blood pressure stayed sky high, and fought vomiting the whole time would have clued them in. I told them I was hurting and they thought it was bladder spasms. I then told them where it hurt and my upper left back side is definitely not my bladder! The next day (I was taking 3 vicodan every 2-3 hours) my boyfriend called the dr back and said besides the fact that I was taking the meds with not much relief, I was now itching from head to foot and actually making sores as I couldn't stop. They switched me to torridal (sp)? it helped me better, but have never been without pain. I bleed every time I go to the bathroom, it hurts to stand, walk, sit, etc. I am TIRED of it hurting, and of feeling it (stent) inside of me. there are times I have such excruciating pain that comes on suddenley ( a spasm, possibly?) that knocks me to my knees and I am instantly nauseated. And the PAIN you feel when you have to go to the bathroom...like your kidney is going to explode. I pray I never have a stone again, because I would not have this procedure done again. I have had 3 10 pound babies with no medication what so ever, and NEVER said a work during my labor/childbirth. But I moaned and groaned for 4 days and lived on a few popsicles and saltine crackers. Good grief there has got to be a better solution to this problem!! Thank you for letting me vent... I somehow feel a little better : ) And hang in there all of you who have posted ahead of me... I feel for you and KNOW YOUR PAIN!!!
|

User Profile
replied February 15th, 2011
I have had numerous surgeries for kidney stones which form in my right kidney.Recently the urologist tried to get them with a laser.One of the stones was in a bad position to be reached by laser so I was sent for EWSL.I read a report that was enclosed with the CT scan CD I took to the hospital.The report said I have Renal Cysts.After the EWSL which was 45 minutes and 3000 pulses I was sent home with a good report.About 5 days later I got a sharp pain in the lower abdomen and went to the washroom.I almost didnt pass what looked like a cyst.It was a blood clot surrounded by skin.A week later a smaller cyst passed.I Had the stent out last friday and asked the urologist about what I had passed but he just said to make an appointment to see him in a few weeks as a follow up.I will continue to read on my own about Renal Cysts.
|

replied June 29th, 2011
Post-Lithotripsy
I read most of these posts the night before my own lithotripsy was scheduled and have to admit that I was quite frightened after hearing everyone's stories. However, the actual experience was not that bad at all. In fact, after being home, the most pain I have felt is in my hand where they inserted the IV. I have had mild cramping and discomfort, but not so bad as having to take any of the pain pills I was prescribed. I have a small bruise on my back from the procedure and my left side is definitely sore. I cannot lay on that side at all yet. I have been passing the fragments with no problem at all, some of them quite big (I had a 7 mm stone in my left kidney), but no pain. In all, I would say not to worry. The pain and discomfort I have experienced after the lithotripsy has been quite minimal.
|

replied July 9th, 2011
lithotripsy 7-8-2011
I had a lithotripsy done yesterday. I woke up in the recovery room in a lot of pain. I have a bruise on my right butt cheek the size of a cantaloupe with a burn on top of it which they gave me some litocane ointment for which doesn't help much. Later that afternoon I was sitting on the couch felt really nauseated so I laid back and my mother said my eyes rolled back in my head I started choking and I started to shake. Back to the ER I went. They said I had a syncope episode. They looked at my burn on my buttocks and said that is not normal. I hope you all have better luck than I had. I am still in a lot of pain and the pain meds do little to help.
|

replied July 10th, 2011
I had a lithotripsy in nov of 2010 i had 4 stones in my left and 3 in my right . My procedure took 2 1/2 hours i also had bad bruises on my back they were pretty big but no burns . I had alot of pain afterwards until i passed all of the stones and the day after my whole body was sore.
|

replied July 24th, 2012
Hi, where are you from? I am from Romania. I had also lithotripsy in 2010, but my procedures took only 30 minutes and the pain after was acceptable... why did your procedure last so long 2 1/2 hours?

I can say I was lucky to find dr urologist Mirciulescu Victor from a private clinic. I found my kidney stones through a conventional ultrasound, without experiencing any pain at that time. At that moment I had ahead of me the surgery option. But to avoid surgery, we used the same treatment for me as for you, green1pen: the lithotripsy.
We conducted two painless sessions, after which I felt ok, not perfect, but with the pain killers was well... I have already recommended the clinic to several other people. And how are you now? Feeling ok? Take care
|

replied July 27th, 2011
I had an attempted lipotripsy on 6/8/11 the Dr couldn't do it because a bone was in the way so he had to do a cystoscope and break it up manually. Didn't seem to hurt that bad until I had to pee(that was bad). I had blood all over me down to my knees and when I urinated it was mostly blood with severe pain in my left side. I was taking 20 mg Norco every 4 hrs. Got the stent out 6 days later, that hurt but they forgot to tell me I might still be in pain after removal. I would like to say I have no pain now, but I do in my left kidney. Hoping it will be better eventually'
|

replied August 16th, 2011
I've been reading and I have to admit that the nurses and doctors don't say much about at home care, my husband just removed his stent tonight he only had to keep it in 3-4 days (he actually pulled it out a day early) and he said it was kinda painful almost like it was scratching him the whole way out cause it has the curled ends.

So now he's laying in bed and has been for 2 hours (finally asleep though) saying there was a weird pain that was worse and unlike his previous pain. Said it was starting at his back down to his hip to his leg and back up between his sack and butt. Has anyone ever experienced that??

Not sure what to do we're calling the doctor this morning but my main question is and I've seen it a few times does anyone know to the true effects of lithotripsy? Because everything I've read seems that there's A LOT that the doctors don't mention...
|

replied September 29th, 2011
I just had lithotripsy done on a 20mm by 25mm kidney stone lodged in my left kidney on Tuesday 9/27. I know, HUGE stone. Didn't know it was a stone til I went to urgent care a week before where they xrayed me.I thought I had just had chronic back pain! Anyway,at the hospital on day of surgery, The only pain I felt was the IV (I hate needles). Otherwise, this is how the day went. Checked in at 7a for a 9a procedure. I got all comfy after the IV by nurses covering me with warm blankets and putting hospital socks on my feet. They wheeled me into OR and quickly got drowsy from anesthisiologist (sp?), who was very very nice and had previously introduced himself to me. He told me what he was doing every second of the medicine insertion to the IV. I remember being gently sleepy then I fell asleep. Woke up 90 min later in the recovery room to a very sweet nurse who was asking me about my kids and how I felt. I felt fine! Drowsy but fine. Was given my prescription for antibiotics and percocet (thank goodness) and husband took me home. Walking was a little hard and heavy duty pain meds prob masked the pain but I truly felt fine. I was wondering when I'd pass these stone fragments. Around 9p that night, I started to get back pain on the left side that shot down my bladder...not terrible but enough to make me cry a little from pain and being VERY uncomfy. Some little sand pieces came out. Went to bed and next morning, I woke up with the most sore body I've ever had. Everything from my lymphnodes to my shoulders, chest, back and pelvis hurt. WORST DAY EVER WAS PRE OP DAY 1. I'm just gonna tell you. Be prepared for sore body. I think it's from that shock wave machine basically kicking the crap out of your kidney to pulverize the stone. Anyway, I later on had just about the most pain I've ever had as my body was trying to contract the fragments out. It hurt like back labor (delivery pain), severe UTI, knives in my back and even 2 percocets and an ibuprofen 600 mg didn't do a THING. I kept feeling like I had to pee and nothing but a couple drops would come out. Tried to take a bath but it was too painful to sit on a hard tub floor. My husband tried to stroke my hair and calm me but his touch was too painful. My body was going through something FIERCE. Went pee and all of a sudden, an explosion of itty bitty rocks shot out of my pee pee hole an little blood. It was DISGUSTING but that is why the pain was so bad....I was expelling a ton of fragment at a time. They were all coming down my ureter at the same frikkin time. Usually, this doesn't happen....they come out casually and not so many at a time. After that, I was INSTANTLY pain free. Little cramping and light bladder spasms on and off have happened and then teensy sand has come out. once I pee and they come out, I am better. I've prob passed about 1/3 of the stone in 2 days all together and I HOPE and PRAY I don't have a bunch come out at the same time again. That was pure torture.
|

replied January 2nd, 2012
kideny lipotripsey
have kidney stones size of lima beans in both kidneys and some little ones too. Did the lipotripsey thing first on right kideny also had stent put in. bleed so much afterwards, peed out sand and clots for 4 weeks. The pain of feeling someone has punched my kidney is still there. Did the left kidney this time I was not doing the stent as stent on right and its removal was hellish. Didn't matter if stent or not on left, same pain same amount of blood cept the sand was blackish brownish gravel looking not white sandish like the right. Now this is my question, I have now two burning spots on each side at the angle where the ureters are or my stomach? intestine. the spots are almost the same on both sides. I get an intense burn feeling, like someone is pouring acid, then it goes away, then comes back n an hour or so.. again and again... has anyone had this ???
|

replied June 25th, 2012
Are you saying you have been having the bruising pain in your back for FOUR weeks now? Because I had my blast surgery over a week ago, ten days now, and am still having pain in my upper middle back.... I went from having to take 2 percocets every 4 hours on schedule for the kidney stone pain before the surgery, to then about 8 a day, to about 3-4 a day, but when is this pain going to stop entirely? I have ulcerative colitis too, so the pain killers did a number on me with the constipation. I have been looking all over the Internet to see if anyone else is still having pain in their back from the surgery and how long I can expect this to last? Does ANYONE know? Or is it different for everyone. From reading everyone's post, I am glad I didn't have stent put in!
|

replied January 5th, 2012
Had a Lithotripsy procedure done on left kidney 2 days ago. No post operative pain, thank the Lord! Dr says they smashed it to powder. Haven't passed anything of any size so I guess it's true. Saw my post-op Xrays, and there's nothing there, so I guess it's true. Had many people praying for me [and the Doctors too] and I believe that helped immensely.
|

replied February 25th, 2012
I had my eighth lithotripsy yesterday and I feel fine. The only pain I had throughout all the procedures was caused by stents, which was not nearly as painful as trying to pass a stone. I am finally stone-free. I imagine I will have to have more in the future due to the fact that I produce stones, but I am not afraid. The doctors and nurses are wonderful.
|

replied April 16th, 2012
I am having lithotripsy this Thursday. After reading these I am scared to death!!!! Anyone have anything comforting to report? PLEASE!
|

replied April 16th, 2012
There's nothing to it. They will either give you enough sedatives so that you feel nothing, or put you out completely. Make sure to ask for pain killers for a few days so it's easier to pass the tiny pieces of stone. I will pray for you to be calm and peaceful.
|

replied April 16th, 2012
randbmo,
Thank you so much for your reply. I am more scared of passing the pieces after the procedure then anything. It sounds extremely painful for allot of the people that have posted on here. I appreciate the prayers!!! I'm so anxious.
|
12 >>