Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

post fusion pain and weather changes

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I underwent a two level (L5-L6 L6 S1 -yes I have 6 lumbar vertebrae!) spinal fusion eight months ago. When the weather is warm, I feel great, but when there are changes, I am in serious pain. I live in Denver and am afraid that the winter is going to be miserable. Any one else ahve this problem? Any advice?? write
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
It is not uncommon to have increased pain with weather changes, storms coming in, big temp changes, cold weather, humid weather etc.

It isn't the weather itself that creates the problem as much as it is the change in the barometric pressure that makes you feel increased pain.

Once the weather change stablizes, and stays the same, the pain should decrease.

You may find that the cold weather will bother you more, until you get used to it again, and it may not bother you at all.

If you find the cold does bother you, you could try applying moist heat to your spine for about 15 minutes before you go outside. The moist heat will loosen up the muscles for you before you go out and you should also do some core exercises before you go out as well.

Fran
|

replied May 4th, 2010
old fusion
Hello in 1983 i had bone fusion The doctor placed 10mm rod bent in to a square wired in to my spine,2007 i was assualted now my back just acks in the cold and very sore i can not stop complaining to my wife i have a another doctor look at it and give me endone it still not strong enough i am really going crazy as i am only 47 years of age.people look at me like i am lazy because i have done 20 years of concreting and now can''t work i wish i had a new body
|

replied June 30th, 2010
Summer back pain
I have had ankylosing spondylitis (arthritis of spine) for nearly 30 years, and every single time hot humid weather arrives, I have chronic pain/neck pain till autumn.
I have tried everything under the sun, and spent big money on novelty cures, but nothing works.
Nearest thing to get relief is a packet of frozen peas placed at the bottom of my spine.
The Anti TNF injections don't work, so my last hope will be cannabis...sadly I don't smoke.
Any suggestions??
|