Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

post colonoscopy diarrhea

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
June 11 2009 I had a colonoscopy and about 3 days after the procedure I started having diarrhea 6-7 times a day. Every time I eat something I get diarrhea. My bowles are very noisy after eating, and I also have abdominal pain with and without palpation.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper gaviotagal
|

replied July 10th, 2009
talk with your doctor and let him/her know thats going on to me it sounds like it would be normal due to this being an exit only area it may have upset the area but i dont think it should last more then a few days
|

replied March 1st, 2011
diarrhea after colonoscopy
After a google search it seems this is not all that uncommon. I had a colonoscopy a week ago (no cancer or polyps, but a large internal hemorrhoid). I am still have diarrhea--about 3 or 4 times a day. I returned to my normal high fiber (35g./day) diet so skipped the Citrucel the DR. suggested after the procedure. Now, I am trying it. Enough is enough. Apparently many of us get our intestinal flora all screwed up by this procedure. We are now like babies. We need to go back to a very bland diet and re-introduce everything I guess--and take the Citrucel. And just watch and see. I am taking Pepto for the diarrhea--but I am upset. I was just fine before this disgusting experience. Now I am tired all the time, can't sleep well, get dizzy, a little nausea. Just not my usual healthy and energetic self. I should never have done this to myself.
|

replied October 11th, 2011
post colonoscopy diarrhea
I had my first colonoscopy in March (7 months ago)and still have diarrhea 9-10 x per day most days. Bentyl stopped the gas pains accompanying it and I've tried probiotics and Benefiber but it still seems like everything should have resolved by now. I have a feeling these symptoms are underreported. If anyone has a solution can you post it? Thank you
|

replied February 22nd, 2012
Mogs, i am dealing with this problem now. did you ever find a solution? my colonoscopy was 9 months ago!! i am going through tests with my PCP. i agree; this has to be happening and is under reported. i think that solution you have to drink must totally wipe out the colon.
|

replied October 11th, 2011
Diarrhea after colonoscopy
I can--I stopped all my supplements for months. After 4 months I finally stopped the Melatonin (3 mg) I had been taking almost daily. I never suspected it. I took Echinacea 4 times a day for a 9 days. Then stopped everything, including the Melatonin. The diarrhea lasted another week, even worse than before. (I think the Echinacea caused that.) Then I developed severe chills, wrapped up in a blanket with the heating pad and went to bed. The next day it was over. My belief is a) Melatonin caused it--now if I take even 1 pill, I get diarrhea the next day; OR, b) a nasty virus that lasted for months and was finally beaten by the echinacea cleaning me out. I have read that Melatonin should not be taken in doses over .3 mg, and never for more than occasional help, and NEVER by children. It affects other brain hormones, including those that regulate temperature, and there is also melatonin produced in our gut to regulate digestion. So now I think that was it. Back to normal finally after about 4 months. I will NEVER get another colonoscopy though. Doctors just don't even try to help.
|

replied April 5th, 2012
colonoscopy diarrhea and adverse med effects
At 58 years of age, I considered myself very healthy. After years of saying no to my MD's multiple chidings to get a colonoscopy, I finally relented and had a colonoscopy done three days ago. No polyps were found. Now, ever since the procedure I have not been myself. Two problems: First,I had a reaction to the IV propofol: I woke up from the procedure screaming and very anxious. The staff did not want to be bothered by my unusual reaction and discharged me within one hour of the procedure. I could not sleep that evening and the next day it was as if someone had given me a stimulant. I walked around the house like a mad person, unable to calm down. I spoke with the anesthesiologist who assisted in the procedure and he down played my reaction. Finally later in the day after no sleep for two nights, I notified my MD. She diagnosed a reaction to the propofol and prescribed a sedative. Finally I slept. Then just as I started to feel better emotionally, yesterday evening I had horrific diarrhea: as bad a the bowel prep 4 days ago.
This morning my stomach is gurgling like no tomorrow.
I will wait to see if this continues and notify my MD again. I was a healthy person before this procedure and now, I feel all messed up in my gut and in my psyche. I will never again give into my MD's request to have a repeat colonoscopy in 5 to 7 years. Enough is enough!
|

replied April 21st, 2012
Bowel Changes after Colonoscopy
I had a colonoscopy 2 days ago. It went well and I felt great afterwards---enough to eat a chicken sandwich and fries (my MD said I could return to a general diet).
Yesterday, I ate as usual. My stomach churned, was bloated with a feeling of fullness. I felt like I had to have a BM but couldn't. It kept me awake much of the night. Today, I've had strange diarrhea-like stools ALL day: 10-15 small loose stools. I have IBS, but this is much worse(my IBS flare-ups occur occasionally and usually last for only 3-4 stools). It stopped for a few hours; however, I ate dinner and now I have the full-feeling, bloated stomach and the loose stools have begun again, albeit fewer (at least for now). This does appear to be common. If this continues, I plan to call my GI's office on Monday morning. UPDATE: I was awakened with abdominal pain, sweating and mild nausea. Is this normal????? Help!
|

replied September 17th, 2012
Hi guys,

I don't know of anyone still reads this post but I'm hoping some one will and can help me.

Dorrimax- like you I woke up mid procedure in extreme pain, screaming. It has now been 5 days since the procedure and I am still feeling bloated, getting abdo pain and feeling very drained (which I am putting down to being on the loo 3-4 times a day) I'm trying to keep drinking water to reduce dehydration risk as I keep getting a terrible headache, but I know that water softens your stools.

Has anyone got any advice, I'm 21 and have been off work a week now and starting to worry!

Thanks in advance!
|

replied January 2nd, 2013
I went to dr. says it removed all the good bacteria so I myself started eating yogurt to replenish good bacteria. also if can afford get colon health probiotics capsules fro store
|

replied September 17th, 2012
Hi guys,

I don't know of anyone still reads this post but I'm hoping some one will and can help me.

Dorrimax- like you I woke up mid procedure in extreme pain, screaming. It has now been 5 days since the procedure and I am still feeling bloated, getting abdo pain and feeling very drained (which I am putting down to being on the loo 3-4 times a day) I'm trying to keep drinking water to reduce dehydration risk as I keep getting a terrible headache, but I know that water softens your stools.

Has anyone got any advice, I'm 21 and have been off work a week now and starting to worry!

Thanks in advance!
|

replied September 26th, 2012
Hi:
Sorry to hear that you are still not feeling well after your colonoscopy. I had my colonoscopy only 2 days ago (third one in 11 years). I still have a grumbling/gurgling bowel 2 days after the procedure and I also woke up mid-procedure in extreme pain.

From my experience I would say that you need to take some probiotics to get your bowel flora back to normal. That is what I intend to do. I live in Ontario and have taken Biobest yogurt for bowel issues after having been messed up in the past by antiobiotics for a bout of pneumonia. The yogurt will put the good bacteria back in your bowel and help you feel better. Also you have to keep your hydration up and insure you have your electrolytes in balance (sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium etc.) so be sure to incorporate foods that contain these in your diet. Most of the bowel preps are infused with electrolytes to help avoid an inbalance when preparing for the colonoscopy, but I had a nurse tell me just last Monday (when I had my colonoscopy) that most people arriving for their colonoscopy are not properly hydrated (i.e. they do not drink enough water/fluids in addition to also taking their prep the day before the colonoscopy procedure). So hope this helps and you get feeling better.
|

replied November 28th, 2012
Gas and diarhea after colonoscopy
I have had atleast 8 colonoscopies in this life time and was happy to read your article, because I never had experienced these symptoms as everyone is talking about! To this day....12 days after the procedure I am still bloated and afraid to go anywhere with the same issues. I used moviprep and could it be that anyone else used the same, and it is from it? I used a different prep in past.
|

replied November 18th, 2012
I had a colonoscopy because I was having diarrhea- She removed 4 polyps (non-cancerous) and said I have diverticulosis. My problem is , I have since had diarrhea more than before! And , now I have cramping and bloating along with it. I take 1 Immodium now at night and it sometimes helps but I on occasion have to take another in the morning. I haven't lost a pound, have a good appetite, have tons of energy and I'm 65!
I don't know that I will ever have another colonoscopy but would love to know if someone else has had this same reaction?
My colonoscopy was two years ago! I have also had e-coli from spinach years ago when it was re-called. That is when the diarrhea first started.
|

replied January 1st, 2013
I had a colonoscopy first week of December & have had chronic sometimes severe upper left abdominal pain along with excessive diarrhea, indigestion & loud bowl sounds. I am miserable & wonder if anyone else found out what is the cause. I take probiotics & pantoprazole. I also have recently taken Imodium & Pepto.
|

replied June 6th, 2013
I've just had a Colonoscopy feel very nausea ,tired as well as bloated it said"should be back to normal in 24hrs" . Seem to forgot what normal is had diarrhoea for months hence the reason for having this done to find out the problem? Still none the wiser.

Maria
|

replied June 7th, 2013
I had an aborted colonoscopy 13 hours ago and was discharged from the hospital 11 hours ago. The reason it was aborted being that the prep procedure (which I followed carefully to the letter) proved inadequate for fully evacuating the colon, despite the continuous diarrhoea that it created well into the morning. Amazing! And I fail to understand why an enema cannot be used for the task of bowel evacuation, in place of the harsh purging which doctors seem to like to inflict on their patients.

To make matters worse, although I felt quite well at first, had a large lunch, and also a large dinner, it has been disconcerting to experience ongoing but intermittent diarrohea, tummy cramps, feeling unwell and tummy gurgling right through the day and well into the night. I hope that I am not now going to be subjected to an experience matching the horror stories reported above.
|

replied July 11th, 2013
So nobody has posted back about this being resolved? My stomach is messed up for 4 days since procedure. Been taking probiotic pills, probiotic juice, and eating yoghurt and it seems to be helping slowly. Also occasional antacid and gas-x. All-in-all relief has been slow but does feel a bit better than first day when cramping and was sevre. Think the air introduced has finally gone out, but not sure why an issue with intestinal bacteria would make the stomach feel so badly. Have had problems with gastritis my whole life so think the prep and fasti ngitself both added to discomfort. So any reports of relief?
|

replied December 30th, 2013
8 1/2 month after colonoscopy.....
Got my colonoscopy on April 17th and today, 8 1/2 months later, am still suffering from constant diarrhea every day. Been taking probiotics on the Doctors recommendation, but no relief. Will NEVER have that procedure again-I had zero diarrhea for 67 years prior and now am miserable. Comments welcomed
|

replied March 29th, 2014
I am shocked at what you are going through and for the length of time you have been suffering. I am three weeks post my second colonoscopy. Both were just for screenings, no issues. Doctor found a small polyp and removed it and it came back totally benign but I have had terrible diarrhea several times a day ever since and I never have this problem. I don't know what to do about it. I finally took two Immodium on Wednesday because it was so bad I didn't think I could drive an hour and a half to someplace I needed to be. It stopped the problem immediately and I had two regular movements over the next three days but then the issue returned even worse.

I have read that the problem is the total removal of flora in the gut and that I should have been advised to begin probiotics prior to the procedure and need them now for at least a couple of months. But i also read that most probiotics are actually killed in the processing. What would help? I doubt that my doctor would be of any help. I have always found online forums such as this one to be much more helpful. For example, following my husband's colostomy I was having trouble with the care of his stoma and found great advise, specific things to do and they worked like a charm. I also received great support.

Can anyone help me to get on the "right track"? Maybe the probiotic advise from others will help you too bduck1. I wish you healing. I am just a little older than you and know that you have much better things to do with your life. I would be angry if I were you. Heck, I'm angry too.
|

replied March 30th, 2014
stilll having problems after 11 months....
After going to 4 different gastro doctors in my immediate area, I decided to venture out of this area (Bradenton, Florida), to St Petersburg, where the first thing the new gastro doc did was do a test for lactose tolerance. I had considered that could be a problem, but it came back negative, so I can continue with milk in my morning coffee. He said he could do nothing else without a colonoscopy, so I finally gave in and will have another one year to the date of my original one. Stay tuned-I will update via this board as to the results........
|
Quick Reply