Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

post appendectomy infection

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
About 8 days after surgery I started having pus and then blood leaking out of incision. It was open incision not laparascopic and one of the surgeons told me immediately after surgery that he knew it would get infected. How did he know I wonder? So the first follow-up appointment I was proud because I was not infected but I could not take the antibiotics prescribed. The surgeon said "OK - don't take anything then" and so I didn't. Now I am afraid to take the 2nd antibiotic prescribed when I read the sheet. This Cipro is too risky for me with my health history. Is there an alternate way I can get rid of this infection?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 3rd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
The wound drainage of pus and/or blood can be due to incision site infection or due to intraabdomianl abscess formed after appendectomy.
I guess your surgeon knew that you may develop this, if you've had an appendix rupture at the time of surgery.
Patients with ruptured appendix at the time of surgery, are at risk for abscess formation (ball of pus) within the abdominal cavity some two weeks or so after the appendectomy.
In both cases, you need to take strong antibiotics.
Talk with your surgeon to find an antibiotic as a replace for Cipro.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied July 21st, 2009
Surgeon and hospital staff deny any rupture or leakage and said I would be much sicker if that were the case. Now I am a month out, the incision is healing with no more leakage but the abdominal pain (upper in stomach area) is unbelievable. It does not seem to matter if I eat or not. I was allergic to all antibiotics so surgeon returned me to hospital but I guess the health plan would not pay for me to have the hospital IV antibiotics. So I tried OTC grapefruit seed extract - huge amounts every hour. It knocked out the infection but I wonder if it created or contributed to this stomach problem. I was in so much pain that the stomach problem was not isolated until the infection was knocked out. Probiotic, cranberry juice, whole fresh aloe vera leaf - none of it is stopping this thing in my stomach which creates gas and bloating as well. I wondered if perhaps I have a tapeworm which was made rabid by the surgery? At this point I am just astounded that the surgeon continually plays clueless and the amount of suffering I am experiencing is phenomenal. How could they not know what it is?
|

User Profile
replied July 22nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Your upper abdominal pain in the area of stomach, or just below the breast bone, is probably due to gastritis, or inflammation and/or irritation of the stomach lining membrane (mucosa).
Pain due to gastritis is usually described as burning, aching, gnawing, or sore, and can be sharp, stabbing, or cutting like.
It may also feel as going right straight through a person as it travels from the belly to the back.
Belching, nausea, vomiting, feeling fullness, bloating, loss of appetite are additional symptoms of gastritis.
Use of non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs, or pain killers as ibuprofen during the recovery period after appendectomy, and stress during the surgery, are two possible causes for your case of gastritis.
This condition is effectively treated with medications.

Consult your physician!
Marija
|

replied July 24th, 2009
It feels gnawing - like a huge snake in there has teeth and is eating me from the inside out. Then there is flatulence and bloated entire abdomen. It is doubled over debilitating.

I did not use NSAID's, Ibuprofen or even the Rx painkiller as I have bad reaction to that too! Most likely I will have bad reaction to the medications you say are used for gastritis as well. I will have to seek natural alternative. For now we bought that "Activia" as advertised on TV since probiotics seem to be doing nothing. I don't normally have dairy as I have problems from that too - sheesh!
|

replied March 2nd, 2012
i had an appendectomy about 5 months ago i just now got a staph infection right on one of the wounds they gave me antibiotics (bactrim) and now ive been running a fever for 3 days lymphnodes are swollen headache and my face has been bright red what does this mean and how should i got about treating it
|

replied March 2nd, 2012
i had an appendectomy about 5 months ago i just now got a staph infection right on one of the wounds they gave me antibiotics (bactrim) and now ive been running a fever for 3 days lymphnodes are swollen headache and my face has been bright red what does this mean and how should i got about treating it
|

replied September 27th, 2013
Internal infection post appendectomy
Not sure if anyone can help. I had my appendix out after a mild tummy ache. Had a laparoscopic op and all went well. Or so I thought. About 6 days later started getting severe pains in my right hand side and was admitted back to hospital after 24 hours, and X-ray and a ct scan I was informed I had a "collection" which had become infected and had also caused my lymph nodes to become inflamed. I was treated with Iv antibiotics and told the pain would ease. Is this common? And what would cause the infection? I am concerned on the hygiene at the said hospital
|