Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Am I Pregnant Forum

Possibly pregnant on implanon? Confused

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
hello. i am so confused right now and desperate for some kind of advice.

i currently have 4 children, and i had the implanon inserted about 18months ago.
my periods have been regular whilst i have been on it. up until last month, i got all the period pains, and all signs of coming on, yet it never started. i didn't think much of it at first, until the first of this month came about. then that's when i thought, this isn't normal.
since then, i have been having pregnancy symptoms. on top of that, i just FEEL pregnant! i am convinced i am! i knew i was pregnant with my 2 youngest because i just felt pregnant.
i have had 2 HPT and a u/s taken at doctors, which all came back neg. but i still FEEL pregnant, and still have preg symptoms??
i am being patient, and waiting to see if my period comes this month or not. it is killing me waiting. i have ordered some preg tests online and am currently (impatiently) waiting for their arrival!

my symptoms have been:
nausea, vomited once, very hungry and eating alot more (unusual as i am anorexic), i have been very, very emotional, some days i have been so moody to the point nobody could speak to me without me creating an argument out of what they said. then other days i have been so full of beans it was odd lol. not saying i'm miserable, but i have been over the top happy lol. my legs have been achy, my upper back has been achy, my hips have been awful some days. my stomach keeps getting achy also.

now i know the implanon can create pregnancy like symptoms. i understand that. but this is my 2nd implant. the first one i had in for the full three years. i never had any problems what so ever with it.
if anything, it had been good for my periods, as it made me regular. obviously, with me being anorexic, sometimes (not often) my periods play up. but they never have on the implant.
also, if i was going to get any pregnant like symptoms, surely they would have started at the start of the implant, rather than a year and a half later.

just to add, my anorexia is quite stable (i am very small - and small framed), so it doesn't affect my periods much at all. especially at the minute since my weight has increased lately (ANOTHER SIGN!)

do you think it's possible that i am, and just tested too early - or even have false-positives?

any input would be greatly appreciated

thanx Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 12th, 2011
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The symptoms that you describe could be suggestive of possibility of pregnancy. Sometimes tests done early in pregnancy can show false negative results. Urine pregnancy test (UPT) kits usually start showing positive results after about 20 days post-conception (roughly corresponding to about a week after your missed periods). The UPT kits are calibrated ones, so unless the hormone levels in urine reach a certain level, they do not show positive results. Blood/serum HCG level estimation is accurate. UPT should always be done on early morning first urine sample as the concentration of pregnancy hormone HCG is believed to be highest in this sample. Look out for development of any other new symptoms suggestive of early pregnancy if pregnancy is suspected. Consider visiting your gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination (to confirm pregnancy related changes/signs in body) and blood/serum HCG level test (to confirm/rule out pregnancy accurately). You can also consider getting repeat ultrasound scan done. Take adequate rest. Drink plenty of water. Maintain healthy diet. Be in regular follow-up and monitoring of your treating gynecologist/obstetrician and report any unusual/abnormal/new symptoms immediately.
Take care.

|

replied September 14th, 2011
thank you very much for your reply.
i ordered 25 one step pregnancy tests from amazon. they are still all coming up negative.

i am now in the week of where my period is due to start. tomorrow would be exact (if i've got my cycle correct). so in the morning, i will be testing again.

if, of course by the end of this month i still haven't turned. then i will be going to the doctors for further testing.

my symptoms have calmed down a bit. although i am still suffering from an achy stomach on a daily basis. i have noticed though that when i am laying down, it seems like i can feel movement! i am starting to think though, maybe i am psychologically creating pregnancy symptoms lol. my partner thinks i am going insane haha.
the other symptoms ive now got are the little hairs going down my belly button that i have got during all of my previous pregnancies. that has to be the scariest symptoms, as it has only happened during pregnancies. not randomly. hmmm i guess by the end of this month i will know one way or another.

patience ...if only i had some!

thanx again for the reply. i will let you know either way Smile
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Am I Pregnant , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.