Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Possible symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
From about 5-6 months on in my last pregnancy I experienced pronounced numbness and swelling starting in one hand then both, eventually moving down my arms. My ob said it was pregnancy induced carpal tunnel and it would resolve after I gave birth. It did resolve shortly after. My baby is now almost 3 1/2 months old and for the past weeks some symptoms have surfaced. My right hand goes numb when I am in a reclined position. Today I noticed that the area around my thumb on my palm was blue and I could see the veins in the lower middle palm bulging. Once circulation returned the bulging veins and blue disappeared. What is this??

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2010
Neurological Disorders Answer A8991
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know the cause of numbness, swelling, livid skin and bulging veins.

Circulation problems in the arms may appear due to the following reasons: vascular contraction, inflammation and thrombosis (clotting) of small and medium arteries and veins of the hands and feet such as in Buerger's disease, or pressure over veins and nerves such as in carpal tunnel syndrome. During pregnancy there is an excess of water in the body which is characterized with edema usually on the hands and feet. There are several known spots where muscles of the arms may press over nerves and blood vessels.

According to the data that you described, it is likely that you may be experiencing circulation problems due to pressure over veins and nerves, which explains numbness, swelling, livid skin and bulging veins. You may consider seeing a plastic surgeon to rule out or confirm carpal tunnel syndrome. If you experience serious discomfort, you may consider having a surgery.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as a plastic surgeon for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.