Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Possible sleep paralysis?

Ok, I do see several topics here that are similar to my experience, but none that exactly like mine, so I wanted to see what others thought.

I have been having this problem for years, since I was fairly young. Every once in awhile, usually around once or month, I have these 'episodes' when I am sleeping, or trying to fall asleep.

Generally, it happens if I am very tired, but cannot fall asleep right away. What happens is, when I finally fall asleep, I suddenly start feeling these waves of energy going through me, like an electrical current. At the same time, I HEAR a weird sound, like a WHOOSH, or rumbling sound, that keeps repeating itself. At this point I am aware of what is going on, and try to wake myself up, but cant wake up. Sometimes I will hear voices during this period, they are usually evil voices, like I almost feel like it is Satan himself doing this to me.

Once I am finally able to wake myself up, I have to turn the TV on, or do something to keep myself from falling asleep, otherwise I will continue to hear the whoosh sound and feel the shocks the second I fall back asleep.

I have yet to read about anyone hearing the sound and feeling electrical waves going through their body while not being able to wake up. I know it is all a dream, but what CAUSES it? It cant belack of sleep, or too much either, I get around 6-7 hours per night. Any ideas you guys have would be very helpful! Thanks (Sorry this was so long_
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile grungeisdead
|

User Profile
replied September 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Welcome to EHEALTH forum!
What you have experienced is really sleep paralysis, transient partial or total paralysis of skeletal muscles that occurs upon awakening from sleep or less often while falling asleep.
Symptoms of sleep paralysis are paralysis of the body (you can't move, you can't speak) and hallucinations (images or speaking that appear during the paralysis).
The most frequent sound hallucinations, like humming, roaring, hissing, rushing and buzzing noises, are accompanied with sleep paralysis.
Also, sleep paralysis, can be accompanied with other phenomena like feeling of being crushed or suffocated, electric ‘tingles’ or ‘vibrations’.

Do you practice regular sleep schedule?
Do you often sleep with your face upwards?
Are you going through a stressful period in your life?
|

replied September 10th, 2008
Thanks for the reply. Actually, this happens mostly when I am sleeping on my side. In fact, it just happeded again last night. I was dreaming that I woke up and my TV was facing the opposite direction, so I was wondering why that was, and then I looked at the clock and it was blinking 12:00 as if the power had gone off. Then the weird "rushing" sensation start happening and I realized I was dreaming. This time it wasnt hard to wake myself up, and when I looked at the clock it was 2:30.

I have a regular sleep pattern, but the weekend is very sporadic. Since I dont have to wake up early, I often stay up until 4 or 5am on the weekend and sleep until noon. Do you think this could be playing a roll in these dreams reocurring?
|

User Profile
replied September 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Having a dream in which you are aware that you are dreaming while the dream is in progress, is known as having a lucid dream.
A lucid dream can immediately precede the episode of sleep paralysis, or a sleep paralysis attack can easily turn in a lucid dreaming.
Sleep in, or taking naps during the day are also found like triggers for sleep paralysis attacks.
Strong emotions, even good ones, like falling in love or experiencing sexual pleasure, can lead to having sleep paralysis attack.
Major lifestyle changes can do the same.

Sleep paralysis has been related to different hallucination states and experiences, including the lucid dreaming.
These attacks can go on their own after certain period of time.
When you have them just try not to panic.

How often do you get them in one week?
For how long you are a sleep paralysis sufferer?
|

replied September 11th, 2008
Experienced User
I experienced electrical shock up my spine a few times when I went into sleep paralysis. Not every time, and it has been 5 years since my last attack. I think I finally got rid of it, I make sure to sleep as much as possible not to get sleep depervated.
|

replied February 11th, 2009
sleep paralysis
I experience the same thing all the time. I normally can't move. But i know when this is coming because i start to hear the wavelike (sinusoidal) sounds getting louder and louder. Maybe this is a transition phase from non paralysis to paralysis and that sound is just some miswiring in the brain that we are otherwise not supposed to hear. I just had the same thing last night, but i am beginnning to experiment. I also experience lucid dreaming frequently. One thing i did last night was let the waves get louder to see what happens and seems like the frequency is increasing. What i did was once i was in full state of paralysis i opened my eyes and looked around but could not move. i then closed my eyes and thought about it and woke up. So i will try the next phase tomorrow to see what happens.
|

replied May 26th, 2012
YES, I experience, this paralysis attacks more complicated of every person. this situation time person go to death, and that time consult the doctor.
|

replied July 24th, 2009
I experienced something similar the other night. I was out of town visiting my sister. We were scheduled to leave that morning. My sleep pattern was messed up and I was anxious about leaving and the long drive home. I awoke at 3 am while having a dream about someone wire tapping the room I was staying in. I was completely paralysised, had electric shock sensation throughout my body, and a loud buzzing in my ear. It lasted about 30 sec., then I was able to turn my head and it stopped. I was completely freaked out (and still am) I have had major anxiety since. I went to the doctor who checked me over, ordered blood test, ordered an MRI, and gave me anxiety medicine. My blood test came back normal, and the MRI was yesterday so I am waiting on the results from that.
|

replied December 9th, 2009
Sleep like paralysis
I experienced something similiar and had more episodes when I was younger after trying to stay up all night watching tv. These episodes usually happen after only having minimal amounts of sleep; I would fall asleep for a brief period of time and awake to the paraylis where I can't even scream. when I finally break the paralysis I became extremely fatigued which lasted took 30-min to an hour to regain full strength. All the while I am praying in my head and rebuking things (Its a christian thing). I don't have pain but this last time I was moving my mouth as if I were chewing something and I also heard some strange noises (like rain falling against a window

|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2010
The original post on this thread describes almost exactly what has been happening to me since I was in my early teens. I've done some research over the years, and there doesn't seem to be anything other than sleep paralysis that even begins to describe it. I've never been satisfied with the sleep paralysis explanation, though. Every description of sleep paralysis that I've read mentions this electric buzzing sensation only as an afterthought, when in my experience, there is nothing more prominent about it than the sensation of painless, electric buzzing.

I'll fall asleep, but not always be aware of the fact that I actually fell asleep. Sometimes I'll believe that I'm still awake, but in recent years I'm usually very frighteningly aware of the fact that I'm trapped in a sleep state while still conscious. I'm realistically aware of my surroundings, for example, if there's a shirt hanging on the wall in my view, it is there during the experience. The buzzing usually starts as I become aware of the fact that I can't move. If I try to lift my head, or move my arm, or open my eyes (my eyes are sometimes open and sometimes not, like my body can't decide in such a state whether or not my eyes should be open), the buzzing gets more intense. As the experience progresses, it's as though someone is turning up a dial on an electric current running through my body, starting in the core of my brain. The longer I remain in this state of paralysis, the more intense this very physical buzzing sensation becomes. I sometimes find myself having trouble breathing, and the buzzing becomes so intense that I'm afraid my brain will just shut down completely before I have a chance to wake and catch my breath. There's no pressure, though. No one comes and sits on my chest. It just feels like I miss a few breaths sometimes (I don't think sleep apnea has anything to do with it, although it is in my family's medical history). Sometimes, though rarely, I'll be floated against my will during this whole experience. While frozen in the position I fell asleep in, while this terrible buzzing courses through my body, becoming more and more intense, I'll float up off the surface I'm sleeping on, and then start floating in a direction not-of-my-choosing, very much against my will, as I try to wake myself from this semi-conscious, semi-hallucinatory state of who-knows-what. I should probably note that there are a bunch of false awakenings sometimes. I'll think I've woke myself just to have the buzzing start all over again. This can occur many, many times during one experience. Like someone else had mentioned, I too cannot go right back to sleep once I do finally wake from this experience. If I lay back down and close my eyes, the experience will just start all over again. I have to get up and do something for a bit, and maybe try laying down somewhere else.

This is a recurring experience that comes in pockets of frequency. There'll be periods of time when this occurs frequently, and then large gaps of time during which it doesn't happen at all. I was in my early teens when it started happening, and I'm in my mid twenties now. This has just started happening to me again recently, so I've been doing some more research.

When I was younger, I used to wonder if I was having seizures during the night or something. The realism of this experience is pretty horrifying.

Anyway, I wonder why this buzzing sensation is only noted as an afterthought when people talk about sleep paralysis. Honestly, it's the buzzing I've been trying to escape. Being paralysed wouldn't be so bad if it didn't feel like something was trying to rock my brain into oblivion.

Cheers to the guy who posted the original thread. He's the only guy I've heard describe anything similar to my own experiences.
|

replied August 10th, 2013
We are kindred spirits. You described exactly, exactly what I feel. It's happened since I was maybe 10-12 years old and still happens now (32) but less frequently. Much more common during the day, but otherwise I can't tell the triggers.
|

replied August 23rd, 2014
Your experience is exactly like mine.
I have been having these experiences since a teenager and now I am in my thirties. However, the episodes have increased in intensity over the years which makes me somewhat scared, will they continue to worsen as I age. I can feel when i am goig into the paralysis and I stay very much awake through the whole experience. I use to always panic and start what felt like yelling, but really no sound was coming out. I have now learned to stay calm and focus on trying to move my little finger and when I finally do I usually wake up gradually from there. I is quite a terrifying experience and when I lived at home i would have to get my mom to come sleep with me after I woke up. Id tell her what happened and ask her to wake me if she heard even a little whimper, but she would never hear anything even though I thought I was yelling so loud. And now I tell my husband to wake me but he never hears anything either. I do know sleep deprivation brings on my episodes so I now try to get sufficient sleep each night.

Thank you grungeisdead your experience made me realize I am not alone with my type of episodes.
|

replied July 7th, 2010
Electric shock or seizures during sleep paralysis
I have been having as simaliar experience as grungeisdead. It is really freaking me out. I have never had this happen to me before. I am 27 now. This has happened to me 5 times in the last 45 days. It is kind of hard to explain. I also don't know what is revalant. In the past 4 months I have had bad anxiety attacks at night. This started when I was 20 or so but has went underground for a couple of years but it started up again about April. For those of you that struggle with the same thing you know what the symptoms are. For the ones that have never had anxiety attacks there are similar to a heart attack. You get the pounding chest left arm pain in the overall feeling that are going to drop dead right then and there of a heart attack. Needless to say I am up all night, well at least till about three or 4:00 AM checking my pulse and trying to monitor my vital signs. For the ones that suffer from this I really empathize for you it is no joke. I usually the wake up around 8:30 or 9:00 a.m. during the week and 11:00 on the weekend. Needless to say I am tired. Now that you know the background let me go into what is happening. Like I said earlier this has happened to me 5 times in the last 45 days. Before that it has never happened to me before. Due to the fact that I have been having anxiety I usually watch TV to keep me occupied all night. Because of that the TV is left on when I fall asleep. Last night I fell asleep at 2:15 A.M. After that the timeline is a little bit blurry. Once I fell asleep I got the feeling that I was shaking and/or an electrical shock sensation. In my mind it feels like what a seizure would feel like. I have never had one so I can't tell you for sure. In my mind this went on for a minute to a minute and 1/2. I was sleeping on my stomach and I push myself up and held there for about 15 seconds. I then myself down and went back to sleep (I think.) In my mind about a minute later I was having a dream and the sensation started to happen again. I was dreaming that I was skydiving. I again woke up the same way (by pushing myself up for a brief period of time and the sensation seemed to stop.) I then went back to sleep for a 3rd time or so I thought. This time it was a different dream but I don't remember it. Then it started to happen again this time for a little bit longer. During this time I realized that I was a sleep during this time I couldn't push myself up. The sensation got more intense and I was dreaming anything. I just lied there and was trying to get myself up. It just wasn�t happening. Finally, I jumped out of bed and turned the light on. When I got up this time I stayed up because the whole thing freaked me out. I was sweating and the back of my head hurt. I glanced over at the clock and it was 3:00 A.M. I have been asleep for about 30-45 minutes. I then started to recall what really happened. The more I thought about it the more confused I got. I didn't know if I actually woke up the 2 prior times or if I was asleep the whole time. Like I said earlier the TV was on. I have a DVR in my room so I rewound it and started to watch the last 45 minutes. When I was watching it I got the feeling that I knew what was on. The programs matched what I felt was on when I woke up briefly. I stayed up for about 2 hours (till 5 a.m.) and fell back asleep without further incident. The previous 4 times happen just like that. The dreams are different and the amount of times I wake up briefly are different. But pretty much it's all the same way and every time I wake up I feel fully aware of my surroundings during the episodes. My dreams also always match the feeling. For example one time I was dreaming that an alien was shocking me. Now I am not saying that an alien was actually shocking me. I know it was a dream and a dream alone. However, the sensations I feel are real. I don't know what they are but if anybody has any insight please let me know.
Thanks
|

replied October 3rd, 2010
to the first poster and all who reads
To the first poster and all who reads, I have had all experiances even rushing feeling going doen my spine. I woke up in a panic trying to scream but wasn't then realized I was paralyzed, Finaly with a jolt, I really woke myself up. The sounds, the electricity feeling it's all so unbeliveable and outragous sounding to everyone who trys to listen. The strongest amount of energy I have ever felt was the las time it happened maybe 3 weeks ago when i had the surges up and down my spine along with roaring and waves of energy.It was so scary like ie "impending doom" but at the same time was ecstacy, the surges of energy felt amazinf like i was being massaged in all the right spots, but somehow felt like if i gave into it something terrible would happen. I have had one obe, but am too scared to take it further when it actually happens again, zi try and give myself a peptalk an say ok we r jus gonna get through it an not panic an see ehat happens. we will c! I couldn't make up mind but got freaked out so finslly shook out of it. Was very very intense.to all that doesn't know read any and all about mr robert monroe. smart man that experinced this and wrote about it. all are fast reads because if it happing to you u wanna learn as much as you can. Good luck to all. and try and get some good sleep!!
|

replied January 14th, 2011
sleep paralysis
Thanks for all the posts about sleep paralysis, etc. I've had a few scary experiences in my youth related to sleep. They are as follows: suffered sleep terrors as a child, as a teenager a couple of times maybe three that I can remember, I woke up with my left arm half raised and I felt paralysed. When I was 19, a woke up in the middle of the night, and felt a buzzing and roaring through my body, and could not wake up to stop it. I felt like perhaps I was having a seisure but was aware of it while it was happening and my eyes were open. I do not have a history of seizures although my father has grand mal epilepsy but it is not hereditary. I've been really stressed out lately and last night, (now age 55) again having a very hard time falling asleep but I kept hearing fast whooshing sounds almost like an electrical charge...it was very weird to say the least...and I'm happy to hear someone else describe it. I often have lucid dreams. Sometimes I talk in my sleep; other times I'm not even in the dream; it's like I'm watching a movie with no television or movie screen; once I dreamed in cartoon style. At first with the major episode at age 19, I thought I had an LSD flashback because I had experimented with LSD about three times as a young teenager. I am 55 now, and never take drugs and barely drink alcohol. Do you think anxiety could be a factor - in one day, my husband's car broke down, my daughter (age 17) was in a first car crash - she's not hurt, and my step-son (age 19) was arrested for a DUI and crashed his vehicle - again, nobody hurt...thank God! Oh, and last night, I found out my son (age 19) was in jail for about 13 hours after being booked for petty theft. We are moving back to our home after taking care of my elderly in-laws for over a year...am fearful of not being able to make mortgage and lose our home. So, needless to say, I do have a lot of anxiety.
|

replied January 17th, 2011
That's exactly what my sleep paralysis is like these days. In the past the experiences were a lot more intense. I used to wake up, unable to move, and then suddenly I hear a dog growling angrily in the dark somewhere.

The first time I heard the dog growling I almost pooped my pants, but you can learn to control your hallucinations and make them a lot less scary.
|

replied April 18th, 2011
I hear the same Dog growling...it's scary but I usually make myself wake up eventually.
|

replied May 14th, 2012
hello
I have had the same problems time and time again. They started when i was about 12. I am now 29 that noise waving backward and forwards over and over getting louder and louder like something out of a sifi film. Being stuck on my back staring at the door frame on my room. Wife next to me and unable to speak. My son in the other room I panic is he ok ? Still cant move. push my self up harder and harded still cant move. Eyes open feeling the air on them, nowing they shouldnt be try to close them and back comes the noise. Getting louder and louder again. Think omg i cant belive it can get this loud. The vibrasions shaking at the back of my head now. I keep my eyes shut and fight the noise the static rummble and the high pitched whoosing. Shut my eyes tight and fight on. Nope I can win open your eyes quick its going to kill you if you dont. Oh no why did i open my eyes now im stuck again. Then after fighting for a while to get up I awaken. Wifes still a sleep. Check my son yep hes fine. Ok just a very faint ringing in my ears now. I know if i lay back down it will start all over again it does evey time. Best make a cuppa and say hello to the xbox.
This is me most nights. I work. I play One thing i hate to do is try and sleep. I would rather wake up with the letters qwerty inprinted on my forhead after falling asleep working.

Any one who has this problem im sorry i dont know how to fix this but you are by no means alone.

Jason Fuller
England
|

replied July 9th, 2012
Sleep paralysis
I've been trying to research my dreams and this sleep paralysis comes close to describing a lot of my feelings. I start off by dreaming about something random and then gradually I am back I my room lying on my back in my bed. This is when the electric sensations begin, going through my whole body. This feeling sometimes turns into a sensation of wind blowing like a gale up over my body while I am still trapped lying down on my back. Usually I feel so groggy while this is happening and when I try to lift myself up to wake myself i can't. At this point I usually get angry and start trying to shout. last night I heard voices whispering, but nothing is moving in my room.

I wake up and feel very unsettled/disturbed and I know that if I drop off again it will happen again. I think it is the tactile sensation of wind which I find strange. I've also had the sensation that something is pulling my feet before that invisible hands have lifted my head and rolled it around and placed dead flowers under my pillow and that clothes have fallen on me from a hatch in the ceiling above my bed - all experienced at the same time as the buzzing/wind and paralysis sensation.

Dreamerlondon
|

replied June 29th, 2013
This same thing happened to me twice. I was at a house that was having paranormal (demonic) problems. First time it was sleep paralysis then the shock from the back of my brain. The second time I was wide awake praying because I felt a intense energy in my room that frightened me. I became paralyzed, shock and felt like someone was on my chest. Then I left my body for about 3 seconds. I slammed back down. Got up and went in the other room. I was looking in the room where I was at and I saw a dark figure hovering over my wife. Behind me was light and two beings were telling me to come with them. I said I am not leaving my wife with this thing and they went away. During these episodes the only thing that stopped it from happening was saying the name of Yahova and Yeshua (Jesus) I couldn't speak so I called out to them in my head. After that I cleansed the house in the name of Yeshua and the house never had any more problems after that. It was not my house it was my parents house. My mom reported before the cleansing, shadow figures running through her room at night. My grandma reported things that looked like people arguing and yelling at her. My aunt said there were people beating on her door saying they were going to kill her. We did an exorcism on my aunt because she was exhibiting strange behavior. If you need more advice message me.
|

replied August 5th, 2013
Sleep paralysis has something more in it than you think.
Being paralyzed while asleep and seeing and hearing scary images is not just something that you can scientifically explain. I know there's something more about it and I know it's caused by the evil elements and spirits. I know that for sure because all the time I thought it they were only dreams but one morning when I was alone half asleep I saw this figure of a man with a white shirt, really tall man who from a standing position got into the bed and laid down with me and embrace my hips.omg, I told my mother in law about it and she gave me a blessed rosary.i never really totally beIieved my dreams were real until I saw that man. We live in Japan at an Air Force base and our house has so many tall and old trees beside it. Idk, but everytime I awaken and can't move then I see scary figures even laughing and with my ears buzzing louder and louder, I try to call up God thru my thinking since I can't move or speak, then it slowly disappears.and then it happens again for the second time in the same morning going to the third, then I grab my rosary and wear in it my hands then it never repeats itself again.i guess there's just some things we really can't explain , and I guess the evil ones just know how to manipulate us for us to at least never consider who the culprits really are.
|