Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

possible nerve problem in neck

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I have some disc problems in my neck redently i have been getting a electrical feeling like a zap over my shoulder blade could a disc be pushing on my spinal cord .
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
mictim,

The electrical sensation is from a nerve being compressed or irritated. However, it is probably not from the cord being compressed, but rather a nerve (nerve root) being compressed as it exits the spinal column.

When the nerves exit they bony spinal canal, they run through the neural foramina, which are holes that allow the nerve roots to exit. Sometimes, a disc herniation will narrow the foramen and put pressure on the root.

The patient will then have symptoms in the part of the body which that nerve supplies.

Good luck.
|

replied July 27th, 2011
Electrical feeling over shoulder blade
Hello, Thank you for your reply. i just started having that sensation and am concerned because the last MRI i had showed worsening i have a partial congenital fusion,2 spurs and a disc bulgewith worseningof disc space desiccation with narrowing of the canal and foramina and worsening of spondylosis one of the spurs was contacting the ventral part of thr cord with slight flattening also the disc space was moderately degenerated also the disc space desiccation had worsened that was done in 2008 !i think i had another MRI since then but not sure !! anyway do you think i should get another MRI ? Thank you again and take care !
|

replied July 27th, 2011
Electrical feeling over shoulder blade
Hello, Thank you for your reply. i just started having that sensation and am concerned because the last MRI i had showed worsening i have a partial congenital fusion,2 spurs and a disc bulgewith worseningof disc space desiccation with narrowing of the canal and foramina and worsening of spondylosis one of the spurs was contacting the ventral part of thr cord with slight flattening also the disc space was moderately degenerated also the disc space desiccation had worsened that was done in 2008 !i think i had another MRI since then but not sure !! anyway do you think i should get another MRI ? Thank you again and take care !
|
Tags: neck
Quick Reply