Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Possible Kidney failure

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
So I am almost 33 years old. I have uncontrolled high blood pressure since I was 21. When I say High I mean 196/132 HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE!

I have been on every kind of blood pressure medicine possible! Nothing seems to help because it is usually caused by anxiety or stress. With this being said now my Dr has mentioned he wants to check me for Kidney failure.

I am very worried because I have many of the symptoms I am extremly fatigue (I sleep almost 16 hours a day and still feel tired), I am retaining fluid in my hands, legs and feet, I sweat for unknown reasons, I have INCREASED urination ONLY at night time, I cant sleep so I have to take a sleep aid to fall asleep, weight gain and NO appetite! I barely eat while I will admit my diet is not healthy when I do eat but I am never HUNGRY! My 6 yr old eats 3 times more that I do and she is very small for her age. Not to mention I hate water and never drink water. So I know first off I should change my diet and drink lots of water.....I am very scared that my kidneys may already be damaged.

My doctor just done blood work today to check my Thyroid (because I have a goiter and hyperthyroidism), liver and kidneys. I should have my results soon, but I have not even told my doctor of the other problems I mentioned above because I had no idea it was related.

Now I just have to sit and wait to see if it all comes back good Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 28th, 2017
Welcome to e health forum.

For your information, Kidney disease usually affects both kidneys. If the kidneys' ability to filter the blood is seriously damaged by disease, wastes and excess fluid may build up in the body.

Although many forms of kidney disease do not produce symptoms until late in the course of the disease, there are six warning signs of kidney disease:

1. High blood pressure.

2. Blood and/or protein in the urine.

3. A creatinine and Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN) blood test, outside the normal range. (BUN and creatinine are waste that build up in your blood when your kidney function is reduced).

4. A glomerular filtration rate (GFR) less than 60. GFR is a measure of kidney function.

5. More frequent urination, particularly at night; difficult or painful urination.

6. Puffiness around eyes, swelling of hands and feet.

If you have the above findings, then it is more likely that you may need to get evaluated for kidney diseases.

The treatment of CKD depends on the underlying condition, and the presence of issues and severity of proteinuria, hypertension, etc.

Only in severe conditions, where the kidney disease is progressing rapidly, does the life expectancy is reduced.

Even in such cases, regular dialysis and procedures like renal transplantation can help to prolong life.

Life span after kidney transplant might last for 15 -20 years, depending on the need for immmunosuppression and if ‎there are no rejections.

Almost everyone feels that they have a better quality of life after the transplant. For those who receive a close ‎match, up to 90% are still alive after 1 year, and more than 70% are alive after 5 years. ‎

You might consult with a nephrologist along with all the medical reports and he may be able to review them and explain you in specific details about your current status and further management.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.