Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Possible Hernia - I've already had mesh surgery

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
I had mesh surgery 5 years ago for an inguinal hernia. No major side effects. 2 days ago I was exercising and felt an uncomfortable ache above my right groin exactly where the surgery took place. It feels like a pulling feeling and sometimes a slight strain further down in the groin. It is relieved by lying down. Worse when sitting in a chair.

It feels the same as when I originally had the Inguinal Hernia (I never had much pain) but this time no bulge. The pain is not great but annoying and worrying. Could this be something else (sports hernia) or the start of an inguinal hernia again?

Should I leave it alone and see what happens?

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2011
Unfortunately, chronic pain occurs in about 3 to 5 percent of patients following inguinal hernia repair.

Patients experiencing chronic pain following hernia surgery must first be evaluated by a surgeon to rule out a recurrent hernia. If no recurrence is identified, then treatment of chronic pain can include restrictions on physical activity, oral anti-inflammatory medications (such as ibuprofen), injection of steroid and local anesthetic medications into the hernia repair scar, and (rarely) repeat surgery to surgically remove any sensory nerves that might have become entrapped within the mesh or scar.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race"

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.