Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Possible Hernia after Gallbladder Removal

Late in the fall I had my gallbladder removed about 3-4 days after it , I was trying to get into bed and got a sharp pain in my stomach area ( felt like a pulled muscle) a few days later I noticed when get up from bed and getting up from sitting a large bulge in center of my belly ( at that time it also felt like a pulled muscle and very sore) at the time I thought it was related directly to my surgery and it went away accept the large bulge , now a few month later it has come back , in some ways in feel like a got something stuck in the center of my gut , sometimes makes me feel like i'm gonna gag , sometimes after sitting long periods of time it gets real sore.

Things I have done : Tried to see gall bladder surgeon ( VERY) hard to get in to see him and have had 2 appointment cancelled due to emergencies , 1 doctors says like like muscle reaction to surgery Shocked , my main doctor said should have it looked at ASAP , looks like a pretty bad hernia and the fix is worse than gall bladder removal..

Anyone got any ideas / suggestion or same experiences?

Thank you in advance
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2010
Based upon the information that you have provided, you probably have a hernia involving one or more of your surgical incisions. The repair of such hernias involves using sutures or/and mesh, and can often be done laparoscopically. This type of hernia repair is quite routine, and most patients go home on the same day as their surgery.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
Users who thank Dr. Robert Wascher for this post: looking4help2009 

replied February 18th, 2010
Added a updated topic in abdominal pain section..this was decided it was NOT a hernia , back 2 sqaure one.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.