Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

Possible goiter or nodule ?

thanks for opening.

my mother seems to think she has a thyroid problem. maybe you can help me out.
she has already gotten the tests where they draw liquid out, but nothing bad came out of it.
she feels that her throat is really tense and there is pain when she turns her head to the left.
could this be a goiter, nodule or what? thank you guys.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper shoegaze
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2009
Advanced Support Team
What was the name of the test, do you remember?

Did she have a biopsy where they take tissue samples out with a long needle?

Is she having difficulty swallowing?

Shortness of breath?

Difficulty in speaking?

A goiter is typically an enlargement of the thyroid itself. A goiter can be caused by lack of iodine in the diet. Do you live in a landlocked place far from the sea? Is the salt where you live enriched with iodine?

Nodules are any abnormal growths on the thyroid. Sometimes they show no symptoms other than changes to thyroid levels.

Her best bet would be to get her thyroid hormone levels checked.
|

replied February 2nd, 2009
yea she's had a biopsy. the results were normal but now she is having pain right there. should i tell her to get the levels checked?
|

replied April 27th, 2009
Problem in goiter or nodular?
Hi
My niece is 21 years old and she had a liquid nodule in left side of her neck 2 years ago(4cm) and her physician did FNA and the result was not cancer! and she took drug and the nodul is 2.5 cm now, but in sonoghraphy , another nodul was showed in the left side 0.6 mm and the previouse got solid , we are so worry and I want to know it may be dangreous or cancer !!?
Thanks alot
|

User Profile
replied April 28th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Sorry to disagree with the above poster, but thyroid nodules often DON'T change the levels of thyroid hormones. Mine didn't.

If there is pain or any discomfort, she needs to see an ENT (ear, nose, and throat doctor). An endocrinologist is only useful if her hormones are off. If she needs other treatment, she'll be referred to an ENT anyway.

Shohreh: I know you're worried, but if it is cancer, the likelihood that it is treatable are ridiculously high. They say that if you have to pick a cancer, this is the type to go with. It is usually removed with surgery and then she would be treated with what is called radioactive iodine treatment (which is nothing like chemotherapy or radiation, it's a 100 times easier).

The good news is that multi-nodules are more likely to be benign than if she only had a single one that was growing. She should continue to have sonograms and biopsies to make sure they continue to be benign.

My advice for you and your family is to do a ton of research into the topic so you can ask the doctor informed questions. Personally, I was less scared after they found mine when I understood what was going on and really participate in making informed decisions about what to do. There are a lot of resources out there.

More good news: if she does have to have her thyroid removed, either because it is something or as a precaution, she can live completely normally on hormone supplements.

If you have any more questions, feel free to post again.
|

replied November 1st, 2012
hi i'm arlene carpio,i want to ask about my mother condition.year ago my mother feeled about her throat.sbi nya hrap syang lumulon ng pagkain at prang lgi may nkabara sa lalamunan nya.but nung nagpchecked sya sa ent sbi ng doc. clear nman dw.but lately npansin nmin na namamaga ung dibdib nya at ung bandang leeg nya.i dont know kung anu un.can you help me?thanks
|