Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Possible food tampering ?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
So, I am completely incapable of putting food in the garbage. I have gotten sick so many times from eating expired food, just because I can't waste it. I think, this time, I might have done something really stupid. I made some waffles this morning, and grabbed a cup of yogurt to put on them. I noticed that the yogurt was a little crusty at one point along the rim, indicating that it had been slightly open. I didn't think about it before I poured half of it on my waffles, assuming that I had opened it slightly when I grabbed it yesterday and then put it back, opting for a different flavor. Then, I thought that maybe someone had tampered with the yogurt. However, I couldn't just waste the waffles. Thinking about it more, I would have been better if I had been safe than sorry. What is the likelihood that my yogurt was tampered with? I feel like I'm being silly, but I heard this story when I was a kid about someone with AIDS putting HIV-infected needles on the seats in movie theatres so that others would suffer with him.

Stupid waffles.

I just need some reassurance that I'm being absolutely ridiculous for thinking that, just because my yogurt was slightly open, I now have some fatal infectious disease.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2009
Supporter
I think you are being paranoid. Chances are greater that the food itself has expired and may cause you intestinal problems. According to everything I have read, HIV is not a food- borne illness and cannot live long outside of the body. So I think you are safe. I think chances are very slim that your yogurt was tampered with. But since you know that the container was open, you should simply throw it away and avoid the drama and uncertainty.
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I agree, the risk that someone put something in the yogurt is very low, but you really shouldn't eat anything that isn't sealed. The seal is both to prevent tampering and to keep the food fresh.

You really need to stop eating spoiled food. You've said you've been sick so many time, why don't you stop? I know you think it's wasteful, but there are alternatives: buy less at a time, buy things that don't spoil so easily, freeze things you aren't going to eat right away, etc.

You've recovered so far, but you can make yourself seriously ill from spoiled food, not just throwing up. I'm talking seriously poisoned from bacteria and fungi. The toxins that many of those make cannot be cooked away.

If the inability to throw away spoiled food seems out of your control, you may want to go to your doctor. You may have a form of OCD.

Regardless of the reason, you need to stop this before something really bad happens. Also, you aren't feeding this food to anyone else, are you?
|