Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Positive RNP result ?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
HI,
I have resently got test results from my doctor after first having a positive ANA result. According to them I have a positive anti-RNP antibody result. Does anyone know what this is and what is means, I can't seem to find much information on it. Please help, Im getting more and more worried.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 17th, 2009
Supporter
Test: anti-RNP - Antibody to the Ribonucleoprotein

What test is for: The RNP antigen is similar to the Smith antigen, but has a different job in the cell.

What a positive test means: A positive test occurs in some patients with lupus but also in other related diseases. It helps to classify a patient but it is not usually useful to make a specific diagnosis nor to follow for worsening or recovery.

What a negative test means: A negative test excludes a related disease, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease.
http://www.hss.edu/conditions_14346.asp#an ti-RNP_-_Antibody_to_the_Ribonucleoprotein
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply