Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Positive Pregnancy Test after Medical Abortion

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
I went for my medical abortion on April 23. I did everything as instructed and passed large clots. I just stopped completely bleeding yesterday. I took a pregnancy test this morning and it still said pregnant. I have read on numerous websites that the pregnancy hormone stays in your system for a while, and I'm guessing this is probably the case but still it is nerve wracking. Also, I am still very nauseated almost everyday which adds to the worrying. Yes, I do understand the importance of my follow up and will be attending it on May 6fh. I guess the only thing that worries me is the fact I had a previous medical abortion last year and the pregnancy test after came back negative after only one week.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper DRJ121583
|

replied May 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
USUALLY the test does not come back neg for 3 weeks, so maybe you just got a less sensitive test last time.

It is normal.

ALTHOUGH medical abortion is not as good as surgical, because surgical takes everything away 'right then'. Medical abortion does fail more often than surgical abortion.
|

replied August 6th, 2009
Hey I'm having the same issue. I'm curious to know what happened in your case? I had a medical abortion 3 weeks ago and my pregnancy test still says positive. I also still have some of the symptoms.
|

replied August 20th, 2009
Still Pregnant after a Medical Abortion 5 weeks ago...
I am having similar situation, I had a Medical Abortion on July 16th, and it is now August 20th, and I took a test yesterday and it says Positive. I have not had my period, and I had had sex with my husband since, but we have been pretty careful (although you cant be 100%) we tried. Im super nervous I'm super nervous Im pregnant again, and We just moved to another state and I do not have insurance at the moment, so I cant really go to the doctor. Is there a chance the hormone is still in my body, or am I pregnant??
|

replied January 6th, 2010
i had a medical abortion and took a pregnancy test came out posi
I had the same situation i had my medical abortion december 18 , and its now january 6, its going to be three weeks tommorow !
whats going on ?
im really nervous , my follow up is jan 8.
|

replied January 8th, 2010
I'm in the same boat, although I had my medical abortion on Dec 31 (happy new year!). I passed fairly large clots and had what seemed like a fairly normal period. At this point, it's mostly spotting, so I decided to take a pregnancy test and it still reads positive. I know the follow up is important, but I'm wondering if I can go to another doctor because the physicians at my clinic have limited hours for follow ups that don't work with my schedule. Anyone ever do anything like this?
|

replied April 15th, 2012
positive pregnancy test 6 weeks after MTOP
I'm having similar problem, I had MTOP on 8 March and I'm sure I passed the foetus, I bleed for around 5 days then it stopped. it's now 15 April and I took 2 tests after passing blood clots today and both had a faint positive line... I'm. Worried that all the tissue has not passed and this is causing the + on the tests, and I may get an infection.

i was on depo every 2 months as I had fallen pregnant on it before having it at the recommended 3 month cycles, I then had implanon put in as 2 monthly dr appt were very inconvenient and found out I had fallen pregnant around the time I had implanon inserted (which was also inserted deep into my arm and is very hard to find) I was 6 weeks pregnant by the ultrasound at the clinic. I have been assured by my physicians that the Depo is what would have failed not the Implanon.

I hope this is right and this is not a new pregnancy in the early stages, I will be calling the dr at the clinic tomorrow to see where I go from here
|