Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

popping under left rib cage (Page 1)

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Whats up guys!?

I have this "thing.." I dont know what to call it, or what it is.. its kind of like this soft part of something that moves under the bottom of the left rib cage when I am sitting, or bending over to my left. I can take my hand and push it against the bottom part of the rib cage.. and it does this popping against that rib.

I can somewhat feel it under the rib cage, but its only now that im thinking about it.

It isnt really painful, but it is noticeable when I am feeling around for it. It always has a "pop" of it against the bottom rib. I cant feel a mass or anything though.. just the bubbly thing that slightly pops out from under/behind the rib cage.

The area above the skin is becoming somewhat sensative. In that, if I have a seatbelt over top of it, I think that I can feel "it.." however, I dont know how that is possible, because I cant feel it outside of that area.. it just feels like "something is there when Im sitting.."

Any idea? I have no pain! No symptoms... but I do have horrid gas recently that smells like no other... but I attribute that to drinking 2 pots of coffee a day..

If anyone has an idea, please let me know!!! Im 24, back in college, and have NO MONEY and no health insurance!!!!!!

Also, could this thing be a bleb? I dont really understand the concept of a bleb, but someone told me that if I was coughing violently, than it can cause them....
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper JohnDoeRayMe2011
|

User Profile
replied September 17th, 2008
Supporter
I urge you to seek medical help. Often, university campuses will have a sliding scale medical clinic. What college do you attend?
|

replied September 17th, 2008
a mere community college. Anne Arundel in a matter of fact.

They dont have anything medical...aside from their medical program, but its all in labs, and we dont have a hospital...just a dinky health room to await the ambulences..whence its to late.

=p

This isnt a cancer tumor is it? I mean, they are supposed to cause all sorts of symptoms correct?
|

User Profile
replied September 18th, 2008
Supporter
http://www.aacc.edu/healthservices/wellnes s.cfm

http://www.aahealth.org/App_pdfs/Directory _Services.pdf

I'm really not sure what your symptoms point to. If you can't get treatment at the clinic itself, I suggest that you check out the resources listed above. You need to take care of this immediately, as it might be a problem with an internal organ.
|

replied September 21st, 2008
Hey, thank you for going out of your way to find me some help.

I did not realize there was anything available like that at my school... than again I had' not looked either, but you gave me a heads up..

thats awesome
|

User Profile
replied September 22nd, 2008
Supporter
Wink You're welcome and good luck!
|

replied March 18th, 2009
i have this too!
oh my goodness! i have this too, exactly the symptoms you have described (minus the gas)... i'm currently searching for a reason online before taking it to the doctors, it's been causing discomfort but no pain! very hard to describe to people, like a knocking/popping against my bottom left ribs when i move in a certain way - especially when i move forwards/backwards in my chair at work, and when stretching up/bending downwards. can't actually feel anything there, i keep trying as i'm sure there must be something there!! and no pain which is the most bizarre thing!
|

replied November 8th, 2011
I have the same thing. Almost like something is in the way there. Usually sit leaning to my left to avoid the awardness. Did you find out what it was?
|

replied March 23rd, 2009
reply to yr feeling.
I am 50 years of age. I was happy that somebody expressed the similar feeling under the left rib cage. I was not able to express it to the doctor. I do not have any pain / troble. I walk at least 5 kms in the morning walk -5 times atleast. Do not feel any tiredness. However doctor put me thru ECG, 2D-Echo/ Stress test and now tomorrow CT scan of the heart -similar to angiography. CT scan has been planned as 2D-echo and stress test revealed that I have LBBB. This also not a problem but for my satisfaction I will be doing that also.
|

replied April 9th, 2009
Have the same thing!
I have had the same thing for years. With NO ability to describe it to others. I however, can feel the "pop" and even adjust it to get it back to a comfortable position.

Note: I don't know if it's related but as of the last 3 months I have begun to experience pain that gets worse after I eat. This is why I'm online now trying to figure this out...
|

replied April 13th, 2009
Hello There
You may have H. Pylori if you get pains after eating. I had the same pains after eating and still have the weird popping bubble ribcage feeling. They had me take 2 weeks of antibiotics called prevpak and i still take prevacid daily. I had an endoscopy and all the other work done to rule out cancer. Everything was fine in that respect, but I still feel the discomfort of the ribcage popping and pain. I am over weight and have been searching forever on this - hence finding this site.
|

replied October 9th, 2012
I just took a blood test recently and have H. Pylori. I also experience this "popping" underneath my right rib cage. I don't know if they are related but when I saw this post it definitely grabbed my attention!!! If you have this problem I would def take a blood test to rule out any infections of the stomach.
|

replied April 22nd, 2009
To meowlet
I have the same things as you - the popping and clicking... I can also get it to go back into place by pressing on it. This has happened for over a year for me.

I am also starting to feel pain after eating. It feels like a muscle spasm kind of pain, kind of stabbing-like. Also in my left rib cage. My friends are telling me I need to see the Dr. about it, and I think I will eventually.

One night recently my husband was rubbing my shoulders, and I was lying on the floor on my stomach, and the pressure on my ribs made it hurt so badly that I couldn't sleep that night for the pain. That's what's made me consider seeing a Dr more heavily.

I will definately come back to this site after I have been to the Dr
|

replied May 5th, 2009
Me too!
I have the same sensation, a popping when i press right below my left rib cage. I was worried it was an enlarged spleen but I just went to the doctor today and he said that it wasn't my spleen and so long as it doesn't change (which it hasn't in the last 3 yrs or so when I first noticed it) its not a tumor or anything like that. He is running a blood count test just to ease my nerves but said it isn't anything to worry about. Anyone else who has been diagnosed otherwise please post!
|

replied May 25th, 2009
popping under rib
I have this too, Goint for endoscope next week, anyone figure out what causes it
|

replied May 28th, 2009
popping feeling under left rib cage
I'm 30 yrs old and went to the doctor about two years ago. I have pain under my left rib cage.MRI was normal, but the pain is worse and I feel the area has extended towards my mid abdomen. It's like if you were to push on a jar lid back and forth, I feel alot of activity in that area. Since then I have had alopecia and a positve ana panel, sent me to a RA doctor they say I have fibromyalgia??? Maybe, early signs of lupus??? Hard to walk on my left foot, feet are giving me problems pain in back... I am a young woman who used to love to dance and have fun!!! I AM GIVING UP,NOW.The docs make me feel like I'm making this up. I am not one to see docs...Help??? Also, within the past year I have noticed I'm not using my left arm like I normally would.I have had finger spasms, and I've noticed its hard for me to do certain things like buttoning a button.
|

replied June 15th, 2009
i have the same problem there i bulging discomfort in the left side of my rib cage i thought it was a emlarged spleen but i dont know what these symptoms are. its very disturbing that all of the post suggest that i am not the only one with this problem and i want to know whats going on.
|

replied June 17th, 2009
Same thing here! Its when I lay on my left side and kind of bend upward i can feel it with my hand and it pops. not a mass though. it has also caused some discomfort and a dull ache sometimes. if anyone finds anything out please reply!
|

replied November 21st, 2011
i have the exact same effects that you have?! any thing change for you?
|

little bubble under my left ribs no pain but awkwardness? help?
i have the exact same effects that you have?! any thing change for you?
|

i have the same effects you do? any luck finding something
|

replied July 7th, 2009
I have this as well. I've had it for years so I am pretty sure it will not kill you. I have a pretty small rib cage and I am starting to assume that my rib is rubbing against a tendon or muscle. Since I've been doing crunches I've noticed it more than before. I don't think it is a major illness but stretching may be a first step or a chiropractor. My chiropractor says I have a very tight muscle there as well that leads around my waist to the front. I do not notice swelling in the organs or internally. I've always had IBS and stomach issues though.

It may be a M. transversus abdominis muscle that is swollen or injured. Your rib cage it hitting it when you move. There are no vital organs right there..so I know it cannot be that. It is on the outside of the muscle lining..not the inside. If an organ was swollen I doubt you would just feel it in one tiny place. It would be a larger area.

On the opposite side of my abdomen I have a herniated transversus muscle that healed herniated. This may be causing the left side to compensate and cause irritation and uneven use of the muscles.
|

replied July 7th, 2009
I feel something very similar to what you are describing. I first started noticing it when I was doing dead lifts and squats. It was a popping that was very painful for a brief second and whenever I moved into that same position or did another lift I could feel it again.

I hadn't felt it in a couple of weeks but today when I was running I felt it again whenever I tried running up straight and taking a deep breathe. I have very tight upper abs and my lower abs are pretty weak.

I think that it has something to do with arching my back straight. Perfect form dead lifts and squats require that you arch your back and maintain posture. I believe that since my upper abs are so much more dominant than my lower abs, they are bearing most of the strain to keep my back in perfect posture. This may cause the muscle to strain.

I fracture my L5 years ago and believe that I have some serious misalignment problems but I cannot go to the doctor at this time because I do not have medical insurance. I have also suffered from GERD and acid reflux for a long time and believe that all of this is interconnected.

Does anyone else feel this when they arch their back straight and move into a certain position? Has anyone else had a stress fracture on one of their vertebrae or suffered from GERD or acid reflux?
|

replied July 14th, 2009
After having this occur on some days more than others..I have come to the conclusion that it is either gas or an ulcer. I have had it happen for years. Yesterday I had not eaten for hours and was very hungry. I drank a milkshake which did not agree with me. Suddenly I had horrible gas pains and the popping came back. After I 'ahem' expelled the gas it went away.
|

replied July 19th, 2009
Popping in right rib cage
My 8 year old has a popping feeling in her right rib cage. I noticed it
several years ago when i put her in Bed and i rubbed her belly over her rib cage. I noticed that if i place my hand on her chest and she takes a deep breath you can fell it when she inhales and exhales just like pushing on a jar top that has been opened. I asked the pediatrician and they were not worried. She still has it but says that it does not hurt. I am curious and i do not even know what test would be able to see that.
|
Quick Reply