Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

popping in chest

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
Here is the back ground on this. When I was a little girl, around 6 yrs old, I had a pain in my chest. My mother did not and would not take me to have this checked out. The pain started suddenly, and only hurt when I would inhale or exhale normally. I sat for a long time doing rapid shallow breathing. Each time I would try to take a normal breath I would feel the pain. I don't know what made me do it, but I finally took a very deep breath and exhaled until I could not force any more air from my lungs, I felt a "pop" in my chest, heart, or muscles around the heart, then the pain went away. I have had these attacks pretty much my whole life. I have gone to the hospital a few times for it, but I still have no answer for this. I am almost 38 yrs old now and these attacks are happening more frequently. And my 17 yr old son just called me (lives with his father in another town) and told me he is having the same thing happening to him. I would love to find out this is so that he and I can find help in stopping this. Does ANYONE know what this is??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2008
Doctor
Could you tell me what medical investigations you have requested and completed at this point?
|

replied August 9th, 2011
hey doc nikola im 23 years old i have nf1 but with no health problems. i ahve been have weird heart pain for years and have been to doc and nothing! just about 10 mins ago i had a bad pain in my left side by my heart then i took a deep breath and it felt like something in my heart poped and now that side my my heart hearts.
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I have had the exact same problem for years.

I have had testing due to other issues and my heart is fine. I always thought it was a muscular thing. I usually get it when I am laying down.
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2008
Community Volunteer
You can try going to a chiropractor...that might be an easy fix for the problem. Since it has to do with the contractions of your lungs and not the beating of your heart, I think it might be your rib cage more than anything else.
|

replied November 13th, 2010
It could possibly be Mitral Valve Prolapse. I have been diagnosed with this and the symptons are similar. I can't hear it pop as much as I can feel it pop, and it is a sharp and quick pain that leaves you breathless for a second or two. Have your doctor check for this disorder.
|