Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Popping feeling under ribs.

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Lately whenever im laying on my right side if i press on the right side of my abs right below my ribs i can feel something pop in and out kind of like a snappke cap. It doesnt really hurt but i was just wonering what it could be. Anybody know?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 22nd, 2009
Riderz Information: Intrigues me
I read the post by riderz and I am glad there is a name for what is going on with me. I have had this weird popping sensation for many years on my right side at the base of my ribs - a little pain after it happens sometimes. I have a few questions that I hope can be answered or explained: I recently had an abdominal ultrasound because of possible hiatal hernia and other gastro problems and the clinician couldn't find my gall bladder easily - she finally told me it was slipping around. Why would it do that and what does it mean? This is the second ultrasound in the past three years and they told me this before. By the way - both ultrasounds came up "normal". Could the slipping gall bladder and popping be related? Also, why should these results be "viewed with some caution, as clinicians may not be as forthcoming in reporting failed case reports and case series". I guess I don't quite understand what is meant by that. Thanks for any input!
|

replied October 26th, 2009
Same Issue
i have the same problem! LIKE EXACTLY. where can i find the post by "riderz"?
|

replied May 12th, 2011
I have the exact same thing...it looks to me like my second abdominal down (6 pack) on the right side is like sliding off the rib when I press in on my stomach in that area, and it makes the strangest POP like sound/feeling/sensation. I'm 20 years old and in perfect health i found it about 4 months ago and was concerned at first but there was never any agonizing associated pain so I never sought medical advice. I am in able to make the POP when I flex my abs...I believe this is because flexing keeps the abdominalmuscles stay and place subsequently making it unable to "slide" off the rib.

Hope this helps
|

replied May 17th, 2012
Popping sound under ribs
The above maladies sound like they could possibly be "COSTROCONDRITIS", which is essentially costrocond=rib cartilage, itis=inflammation.
The cartilage under the right side usually gets inflamed and will pop when it gets caught on a rib.
I had this very badly when pregnant because I have such a short torso, little room for big baby to move, and it still bothers me, especially now that I have gained mostly stomach weight for some reason.
Hope this is fairly accurate, I'm not a dr. Obviously everyone should be seen by a dr.
My problem is on the left, and is after a fall, a popping that can be heard outside by others and is VERY VERY painful. After xray and catscan, dr saw nothing, but I'm still worried. Could this too be costrocondritis? Don't know.
|