Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Poking Sensation in Eye

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
Hi,
Recently, when I close my eyes and move it around, I have been getting a poking sensation in the left one. Almost as if a little stone has gone in and lodged itself there. I thought something must have got in so washed it out but it didn't help, so I visited the doctor. The doctor anaesthesised my eye and cleaned it with a cutip. The poking stopped for some time, due to the anaesthetic most probably. But it came back within an hour. What do I do? It makes sleeping quite difficult and is hugely irritating.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 8th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
This type of pain comes from irritation, infection or damage to the outer structures of the eye.
It can be presenting symptom of conjuctivitis, or very often a result from a corneal abrasions.
Cornea is the clear part of the eye, and abrasion is a painful scrape or scratch of its surface.
There are different causes for corneal abrasions, like small particles carried with the wind hitting your eye, or a foreign body, such as a piece of sand or wood, lodging under the upper lid and causing scratches of the corneal surface every time that you blink.
Wearing contact lens has a risk for corneal injury, too.
Try to rest your eyes as much as you can, and use artificial tears.
You should feel better after 2 days if this is a simple damage to the cornea.
If the condition is getting worse and you develop new symptoms, contact your ophthalmologist!

Best wishes!
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank MandMs for this post: CoolToad