Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Plaquenil side effects of bipolar and depression (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
Hi Everyone.
I was put on Plaquenil for RA 2 years ago. After a year of treatment I was having mood swings, anxiety, depression, and was dianosed with bipolar disorder and depression. Recently I found out (after a year of mental treatments and a living hell) that Plaquenil has a side effect that causes mental mood swings, depression, anxiety, etc.

NONE of my Drs told me this was a side effect, they just gave meds for mental illness and slapped a diagnosis of BP on me.

Since I have been OFF plaquenil I am a new person. I am sharing this story on several forums, because NO ONE should have to go through the pain my family and I went through as a result of this awful side effect to this med, and Drs failing to know what they are giving their patients.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Go2extremes
|
Users who thank Go2extremes for this post: kwc  mmchale  AFlynn 

replied April 23rd, 2009
Thanks
Hi - I just wanted to thank you for having the courage to post your story. I have always battled with depression, and yet going on Plaquenil made it far worse, and made me very suicidal and unstable - emotionally I felt out of control whereas I had always felt fairly level. I think it (and many of the other DMARDs prescribed for these diseases - I have Sjogren's syndrome) is a far more dangerous drug than the doctors understand, and as patients it is up to us to spread the word on these side effects. I applaud you for doing this to help other people.

Best wishes,
Jane
|
Users who thank creativespirits for this post: Go2extremes 

replied August 24th, 2009
Depression and Plaquenil
I just took myself off Plaquenil yesterday. About a month into the medication I became grumpy, anxious and confused. I began to cry for no reason and felt hopeless. I thought it was because of my new diagnosis of SLE, I now realize it was the medication. I wish I would have known it has this type of side effect.
|

KWC, I am glad that I was able to help you and Jane on this forum. You will continue to feel better and better the longer you are off Plaquenil. Since this experience, I have only used over the counter arthritis medication and I have been doing fine. Plaquenil is an extremely strong drug, it should be used as a last resort to other medications. I wish you the best ~
|

Hi Jane,
I did not get your response until now. What really concerned me when this happened, was how many people may be suffering the same side effects as we did, and not realize it is stemming from the medications we are on. We just have to keep spreading the word on this and hope that it will help others. I am glad my post helped you, I wish you the best ~
|

replied October 23rd, 2009
depression with plaquenil
hello friends,

thank you for this post, i have a histoyof severe depression even going so far as to have electro shock therapy, i have had RA for two years ago and was started on 10 mg of methotrexate a week which i inject,,, about 2 months into it 400 mg of plaquenil was added, this was about 5 months ago, today i almost took my own life, i swallowed 40 plaquenil tablets and realized what i had done and managed (thank the lord) to bring most of them up with a litre of milk and sticking my finger down my throat,,, i know its the plaquenil, i even mentioned the depression to my doctor and told her i thought it was the plaquinil but she said i should continue to take it as i would have a RA flare, the thing is, i have become a raving lunatic, i have literally gone mad and i cant help myself,,, is this worth it,,, do doctors really know what they are doing when they prescribe this drug without knowing if there is a history of depression,
to all those who might have to start this drug, be careful if you have ever had any form of depression, severe or mild, as this could be the killer,

best wishes to all of you suffers out there.
|

replied August 4th, 2012
arthritis medication
I am on both meds and have had depression for a few years .and I've been feeling all sorts of side effects and my depression is on over drive.reading your post was as if u was telling my story which brings tears to my eyes.I agree doctors are too quick to give all these meds with out knowing the patients history......so here I am with 3 forms of arthritis not wanting to take any meds yet bareing so much pain fighting to only live another day,any how I found myself on this web site because I was questioning if the med plaquenil was recalled at 1 point.
|

replied August 4th, 2012
arthritis medication
I am on both meds and have had depression for a few years .and I've been feeling all sorts of side effects and my depression is on over drive.reading your post was as if u was telling my story which brings tears to my eyes.I agree doctors are too quick to give all these meds with out knowing the patients history......so here I am with 3 forms of arthritis not wanting to take any meds yet bareing so much pain fighting to only live another day,any how I found myself on this web site because I was questioning if the med plaquenil was recalled at 1 point.
|

replied November 3rd, 2009
I have scleroderma and they had prescribed me 3 years ago now to be on this which I have to control my pain and swelling....now they have just immediately pulled me off as they feel it is affecting my eyes, which if I stay on the plaquenil they say I could go blind... so what are we to do, be blind or depressed like some of you or do we all just get crippled up? what a choice...there has to be something else out there.
|

replied January 31st, 2012
I have been on Plaquenil for nearly six years. I also have had significant anxiety, crying in the showerm all the way to work, fearful of everything. Not at all like me. Usually very positive. Five months ago, my Opthamologist mentioned the could be significant eye problems when you've taken Plaquenil for 5-6 years. I have noticed my eyes are not focusing as well as previously, and I have double vision. I took myself off it five days ago and have noticed a significant improvement in my vision and deminished double vision. The ringing in my ears has subsided also, but the huge difference is I am NOT depressed. I have not had a cruing jag since. Amazed at such a quick turn-around. My doctor also did not even respond to any of my queries about these issues and side effects...she just rolled on as if I hadn't said a word.
|

replied February 12th, 2012
Plaquenil and Lupus
I'm reading these posts because I too was looking for information on plaquenil. I have been taking plaquenil for over 20 years; 200 mg twice daily. I take one in the morning and one in the evening. I have been reading these post and can't relate to any of them. I am taking it for treatment of lupus. I too stopped taking plaquenil about three years ago because I thought I didn't need it anymore. Needless to say, after a period of time I became weak as the plaquenil was no longer in my system. I eventually became very ill and ended up in the hospital for one month and 3 months at home with home health care. I was placed back on the plaquenil and until they find something else that will work, I will probably stay on it. I have had no problems with my eyes. I do have them checked every six months because it was also a concern of mine since vision problems can occur.

The way I look at it is I stand a better chance on the plaquenil than without it. I hope this is helpful, of course I realize that everyone's system is not the same.
|

replied November 17th, 2009
I've just recently tried the brand Plaq to see if I get the same anxiety effects as with the generic. It's been six days and I know I'm not feeling the same.I agree with Rodent, there has to be something else out there.
|

replied January 25th, 2010
hi there,
i'm 17yrs SLE patient since June 2007 it is almost 2 yrs from now.

i dianosed with sle nepritis class III

my doctor prescribed me a plaquenil since i was diagnosed but ever since i never take plaquenil. Because of this side effects.

So i dislike the plaquenil...

we treat my self by means of healthy diet. A of glass carrot juices and cucumber juices....we avoid meat...avoid stress...

relaxing on beach...eating salad...
some herbal medicine......

now my life is back to normal..

i am happy to myself because i have no flare at all since i was diagnosed.

(If u have question, suggestion, comment just send me a message thank u!)
|

replied July 5th, 2012
Hi mimoy. I was diagnosed with SLE Lupus, Sjogren's syndrome and with active Sarcoidosis and prescribed plaquenil 5 months ago. But so far I didn't took it. I took Conifer Green Needle Complex for 4 months from my natural therapist. That worked but I put on weight and started to have digestive problems. So I stopped taking it. What herbal medicine worked for you?
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2010
my doctor has given me plaquenil for my RA, i have had them 4 weeks now and havent taken any, i am scared, it says you can go blind, get depressed, is there anything good about them .now i have read all the reveiws thats put me off them even more, i dont know what to do.
|

replied October 11th, 2011
Plaquenil side effects
Annacassie - I hope you started the plaquenil and your pain has diminished or vanished. The side effects of waiting can be far worse than the side effects of taking. In the long term you can stop plaquenil usually after 18 months / 2 years, but the long term effects of not taking it could last you the rest of your life. Awful I know. I have been on Plaquenil for nearly 2 years and while it has effected my moods and depression, I knew this was a short term thing and I have ensured a good support group for those days when I just want to go to sleep and never wake up. You don't have to battle this alone. I have a rare autoimmune disease called Pericardial polyserositis, and I have suffered cardiac arrest, heart surgery, organ failure and the usual massive aches and pains associated with auto immune diseases. The plaquenil did do the job for me when nothing else was consistently helping, and the side effects, once I was aware of them and could watch myself for them, are manageable. Also ensure you are taking the best care - everyone who mentions fish oil and supplements are right - look into those asap (which ever is right for you). And yoga (gentle stretching), walking (small walks) and outside time will help with moods, getting Vit D, calcium and your inner strength.
I really hope that you get some great support from family and friends and that your health has improved. Best of luck.
Jennifer
|

replied November 30th, 2010
Coming off of Plaquenil
Does anyone recall symptoms of coming off of Plaquenil. I have been on it for two years or so.
|

replied May 9th, 2011
annacassie, please do not wait to start the drug for your RA. It needs to be treated as quickly after diagnoses as possible. I held on to mine for about a week while I did some research on RA. Found out that permanent damage to the joints can be prevented, and you could even have a remission if you are treated quickly enough. I take a tablet twice a day and honestly, do not notice any side effects. I do seem to have dark circles under my eyes that I did not see before, but that could just be getting older. (I'm 51) Do your research! Be your own advocate. These sites are great to hear other's experiences, but they can scare you too. My best find for RA.....yoga and high-dose fish oil. Read the Anti-Inflmation Zone.
|

replied May 15th, 2011
ok so I want to say thank you for all the posts on the side effects of plaquenil. I have been on it 4 about three years and I just don't feel like myself at all. I feel hopeless, helpless, sad for no apparent reason and I cry about everything. I'm paranoid and anxious. I have never ever felt like this in my life and I have had more than enough reasons to. I love to work out and have been a weightlifter for 14yrs. I now have no desire to do anything and I feel suicidal at times. I love the person I'm with more than anything and believe that he is the person that I want to start a family with but I'm driving him insane with my mood swings and craziness. I want to stop the plaquenil but I'm terrified of the pain returning, if anyone could please give me some helpful advice please do.
|

replied May 17th, 2011
RE:
This sounds just like me. I am curious to know how old you are (I am female, 34) and been on generic plaquenil for about 2 yrs. Have you decided to stop the med ? I go to my RA dr in 2wks and want to ask him about these side effects. I am afraid he's going to say to keep taking it and it has nothing to do with how I feel. I also am scared of pain coming back.
|

replied June 8th, 2011
Plaquenil side effects
I started out slowly on Plaquenil because I have such a sensitive nervous system and very drug sensitive. I started at 100mg, then 200mg, then 300mg and finally 400mg. At 400mg I started to feel like my face was 'raw'; my skin was very reactive. I decreased it, but I've been feeling really 'flat' emotionally lately and absolutey no appetite and just feeling plain weird. I've heard it takes along time for it to leave your system. I am hoping I get back to feeling normal soon.
|

replied June 24th, 2011
I was diagnosed in January with cutaneous lupus. My doctor started me on 400 mg. a day, 7 days a week. I developed intestional difficulties (severe cramping, etc.) and he dropped me to 200 mg. 4 days a week. By the way, I did help the cramping by taking a probiotic, but.........I have gradually started having more and more mental issues. I take medications for depression and anxiety and have for years. They have always helped and I rarely have episodes of depression. Now I am depressed, have suicidal ideation, feel hopeless, paranoid, anxious, etc. I am going to see a psychaitrist to help me get my meds straightened out and I am going to get off the plaquenil. There must be a better way.
|

replied August 2nd, 2011
I too am living in the wake of plaquenil side-effects having been diagnosed with severe lichen planus in Decemeber 2010. After taking prednisone for nearly four months, plaquenil was prescribed and for a time I was taking both drugs. When the predinisone was stopped, the dose of plaquenil was doubled and I then began having major mood swings, dispair, lack of confidence, depersonalization, anxiety attacks, suicidal thoughts. I have been off plaquenil completely for over two weeks now but the depression continues and am now seeking help to deal with this. Plaquenil is " a devil for a witch."
|

replied August 29th, 2011
Plaquenil - dancing with the devil
My heart breaks for all the pain and misery that pushes one to take or even consider Plaqenil. YOU MUST BECOME YOUR OWN ADVOCATES and just posting is a step towards that. Read every thing you can get your hands on about SLE, RA, etc., and explore NATURAL remedies. I have SLE (diagnosed 18 years ago at age 50), fibromyalgia, and all that comes with it. Told the docs to keep their Prednisone and Plaquenil until I got to the point that I couldn't walk. They scolded - I went swimming, and started researching. Granted, when you get SLE at 50 it's usually not as severe as when you are younger. (I don't care what the latest test say - you'll never convince me Lupus isn't connected to the hormonal changes of puberty and menopause. Just look at the the "bubbles" of diagnosis at those ages.) One of my docs insisted I take HRT. I said no. I asked for natural thyroid. She said no. My lab test said I didn't it. My body said I did. I changed doctors and got good old pig/cow thyroid instead of the test tube stuff and all the painful muscle knots in my back disappeared. I slept, and the depression lifted. Start with lots of good quality fish oil for mood and inflammation. At least 2,000 units of D3, unless you live in Florida and run around naked. If you have no previous signs of mania, look into Sam-E for depression. Magnesium for muscle pain. (Be prepared to eat some rice to counteract it!)
Keep a food diary. Green tea makes me hurt all over - who would have thought?! Find a doc who really knows thyroid treatment - and believes in more than just a TSH lab test - and NATURAL thyroid instead of the synthetic stuff. All of this takes a great deal of time and energy. It's been 18 years and I'm still working on it. I thank my lucky stars that I'm doing so well, but there are still bad days when I have to resort to a half of 222 or something else not so good for me. Good luck to all!
|

replied March 23rd, 2012
Very true. You are what you eat. I was diagnosed November of 2010. I got really moody, and depressed, even lost my memory for about 3 days. I had none of those symptoms when I started. Luckily I too, have realized how the fda and big pharma uses us as guinea pigs, and started to look for more natural treatments. You are what you eat. Over time your body begins to reject all of the processed food and chemicals put in and on your body. Then your body becomes dis-eased, toxic and gets out of wack. Change your diet, buy organic, eat more fish, raw veggies and fruits on a daily basis. Keep the meat down to a minimun. No fast foods, buy foods with natural ingredients. Search for 'foods to avoid', that can cause flares. I started out on 400mg of plaquenil and 40mg of steroids. I tapered them all down. I dont take steroids and I am down to 200mg of plaquenil a day, every 2 months I cut down my dosage. I felt like my heart wanted to jump out of my chest and thats when I began. I began to swim to help with muscle pains and joint stiffness. I keep active, I dont lounge around because when you become lazy you start to feel worst. Don't let these doctors tell you what to take, in the end you end up with more symptoms than you started out with. All meds are meant to slightly ease your discomfort, but to make you sick some other way. They make it so you will never stop giving them your money. Its all business. Find the alternative natural remedies to help your ailments, be positive, and you will feel that dark cloud lifting from your life. Drink a fruit or veggie drink everyday and take supplements. You will begin to see a major difference. You only have one life to live, take control of it. looking
|

replied September 10th, 2011
Plaquenil and depression
I just started taking the generic form of Plaquenil this past Friday. I am taking 400 mg a day (2 pills). This past May, I was diagnosed with a type of arthritis that is an auto immune reaction to a virus. The virus being momonucleosis, which I was diagnosed with back in October of 2010. I am 39 years old. I have been taking prednisone (5mg each pill)since my arthritis diagnosis in April and tramadol and have been doing great. I immediately felt better with the prednisone...literally within an hour of taking it I felt back to my old self. It was great! My doctor started me on 4 pills of prednisone a day for a week, then 3 for a week, then 2 for a week, then 1 for a week. The problem is, everytime I get down to one pill per day, my pain comes back. So, she put me on Plaquenil plus 1 prednisone per day. She put me on Plaquenil to get me off prednisone. Since Friday, when starting the Plaquenil, I have been seriously depressed. My body always reacts quickly to a drug. I'm crying. I don't have any desire to do anything. I want to quit my job. I was so happy. Now, I'm a mess. I'm wondering if it could be the Plaquenil?? Could I have the depression side effects this fast? I want to quit the medication starting tomorrow. Friday was a very bad day work-wise, but I am typically able to let things roll off my back.
|

replied November 12th, 2011
Thank you for your post. I've been taking plaquenil for over a week and I noticed from the first couple of days that I was feeling "weird". It's hard to explain. A few more days and normally passing thoughts became major concerns. Today I am just plain out of sorts. I feel depressed and scared. I can't stop crying. I can't take the plaquenil, I don't know what to do.
|

replied February 1st, 2012
plaquenil side effects
I have been on plaquenil since 1991 because of being diagnosed with lupus and I am still on it today. In 1993, I started having panic attacks and started taking medicine for that but back that long ago, they told me it only can hurt your eyes, if it doesnt, stay on it. I still have lupus flares, so that long I dont even know if it really helps, I still have anxiety to this day, but that is the only symptom I have and maybe it is from the plaquenil, I have never heard of it till I read this?? Wondering if I should try to not use it? Thanks for all the information.
|
Users who thank burly67 for this post: Grateful55 

replied February 12th, 2012
Thank you burly67. I hadn't read your post when I responded to a post earlier. I've been on plaquenil (generic hydroxycloroquine)for over 20 years. I was becoming a little leary about the side effects but, am not planning to discontinue it, especially not without my doctor's knowledge. I had a bad experience by doing this on my own before.
|