Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Please help! I want to stop from smoking;-(

Admittedly, I am a chain smoker. I want to quit from smoking but I can't. I am very busy with my works at the office. I am always planning to pay a visit to a psychologist to ask for some advice and tips on how to successfully quit from smoking but I really can't because of my commitments. One time while browsing the net, hoping to see some tips on quit smoking campaign sites, my browser launched. I tried whatever it said, simple things though but its quite effective. I even supplemented it with using my nicotine patches, but still I am still craving for some sticks.. Anybody please help me suggest links and sites wherein I could see some videos and read the most effective articles and videos in quit smoking?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Jackie007
|

replied February 15th, 2012
Only real way for you to quit is to FORCE yourself, try to endure the horrible feelings of withdrawal. There is no shortcut to quiting, you will have to start yourself. On sunday ( if you stay alone to chill after the work week ) throw the pack of the ciggaretes and don't go anywhere, if you'll go and "Oh well I'll only smoke 1 cig " that won't work, after it you'll go with "just another one " and it will go on. You must WANT to quit by FORCING yourself. I'm not a good example because I don't want to quit and was forced to try several times with horrible failures, but I have a lto of friends who had quit, so I know more or less about these things.

Good luck.
|

replied August 5th, 2013
Hi Carl000,
There are no tricks, or easy fixes when it comes to quitting. You have to want to badly enough to just stop. That having been said, you can try hypnosis, aversion therapy, which is offered at Schickshadel, (I went years ago and haven't touched a cigarette since.) and medications. I think the most important factor is behavior modification, and the desire to not smoke, or be around others who do.

Behavior modification is most helpful when you initially stop because there are so many triggers in the home or at the office which can cause you to want a cigarette. If you have a favorite chair where you sit and have a cigarette after a meal, move the chair, or get rid of it. Places where you routinely smoke in your home should be
converted to non-smoking areas. This means removing ash trays, cleaning, and rearranging furniture. It sounds extreme, but so is lung cancer! Change everything about your routine if it centers around you having a cigarette. When you have the urge to smoke, drink at least 8 ounces of water, and go for a walk, or go exercise.

Best of luck to you, I know you can quit if you want to!
|

replied August 6th, 2013
If you can't handle, not smoking for whatever reason - if you feel that you have to go take out a cig and smoke it. Try buying yourself really minty chewing gum. The mintiest you can find.

And crab a few peaces and start chewing. That does the trick for a short time. And eventually you'll get over smoking.
|