Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Plavix Rebound? (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
Hi,first post here,I'll try to keep it fairly short and concise.
I'm almost 53 yrs old and had a heart attack in Nov of 2006. I had two Cypher drug eluting stents implanted. I've been taking daily since then 1 Plavix and an aspirin. My cardiologist told me at last visit in January that I could quit taking the Plavix as he actually recommends it for only one year after surgery. At the time I told him that the cost was no problem and I really feared having a clot induced stroke more than anything. He told me that he would leave it up to me. Since then my finances have taken a downturn besides the fact that I'm getting tired of excessive bleeding and bruising. I've been considering getting off it,but I've just become aware of the study regarding "Plavix Rebound" that suggests that incidence of heart attacks/clots strokes etc are doubled within the 1st 90 days after stopping taking it. I guess what I'd like to know if anybody has any experiences positive or negative to relate or if theres been any further studies to prove that tapering off may reduce the risks?
Thanks for any replies
Jeff
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Dr. Nikola
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2008
Doctor
Why are bleeding and bruising so much?
Have you ever reported these bleeding and bruising to your doctor?
|

replied July 11th, 2008
Yes,while it seems excessive to me he thought it was normal and told me to expect it. I have to say that I've never bruised easily if at all but I now often have bruises and can't remember any reason for them. Just a small cut such as from shaving is hard to stop bleeding. At this time I'm also undergoing some severe anxiety problems and am hesitant about using anything such as Lexapro due to elevated risk of upper GI bleeding while on the Plavix. I will be taking the aspirin for life but if I could at least get off the Plavix it seems like it would help to reduce that risk somewhat. I'll ask that question on the Stress & Anxiety forum also but any feedback here would also be appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2008
Doctor
Guidelines say that Plavix is recommended to be used up to one year after inserting the stent. Aspirin should be used for life according to guidelines. Guidelines also says that if the patient has stomach disorders (reflux, gastritis, stomach ulcer...) then Plavix can be used for life instead of Aspirin.
You can make several blood coagulation tests to check if there is some coagulation disorder that causes excessive bleeding.
|

replied February 4th, 2009
sotpping Plavix rebound effect
has anyone with DES Stents come off Plavix successfully? (without a heart attack or dieing)
How do you wean off Plavix? so you don't suffer from the rebound effect?
|

replied February 4th, 2009
I don't know if it was necessary but it did give me a little peace of mind while I was getting off it. I first took a Plavix every other day for two weeks and after that,one every three days for a few weeks.At that point I quit taking it altogether and haven't had any problems since. That was in August of '08.My doctor said that the number of people having problems going off Plavix is tiny but if quitting slowly might help its worth a try.
|
Users who thank Norwester for this post: grounded54 

replied February 5th, 2009
how do you taper off of Plavix
Are there any doctors in the U.S. who think that 2 years on Plavix is long enough, even with drug eluding stents? I have 2 that are overlapping in the LAD. I would like to talk to them and get a plan for how to taper off this drug. My current cardiologist doesn't believe in tapering off.
|

replied March 5th, 2009
Getting Off Plavix
I am in a similiar situation to Norwester. I have been on Plavix and aspirin now for a little more than 4 years, drug eluting stent and all. I want off Plavix, but my cardiologist thinks it is a risk--he had a patient who went off Plavix for a colonoscopy and had a heart attack two weeks later. I would like hard data on the rebound effect, and the odds that there may be some blood-metal contact after four years. But there are no answers that I can find. I am very active and in good shape. I bruise easily. Giant hematomas are passe at this point for me. I do a lot of biking--no bad crashes yet, fingers crossed. I am thinking about trying something like Norwester, and getting on a regime with aspirin, ginger, and fish oil. And I would also like data on ginger's effect on the blood, and can only find one from Australia. Anyone with knowledge or suggestions about what to do and how to do this would be much appreciated.
|

replied May 4th, 2009
weaning off plavix
I've been taking Plavix for five years following a brain-stem stroke.Since then, I've become very athletic,lostweight, turned vegan and gotten off all my diabetic meds, reduced my BP meds to minimal.I'm also concerned about getting off Plavix.Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Shirley
|

replied May 7th, 2009
Weaning off Plavix
I'd be interested in speaking with Investigating and Sailgal. I had a stent implanted almost 2 years ago -- freak thing -- a quickly formed clot in the LAX that was probably the result of a microrupture of the vessel as a result of an extremely hard effort during a bike race. I am extremely active (bicycle racer, running races, yoga, etc.) and eat very healthy. And, I'm only 43!

I'd LOVE to wean myself from Plavix, but the docs seem reluctant.
|

replied June 2nd, 2011
stop taking plavix metropolol
im 40 and just had stent in and also eat pretty well exercise and normal height to weight...lean build
i HATE the drugs im on ---im tired and bleed and feel awful
can i stop taking these meds?
|

replied July 28th, 2009
To Norwester: Did your MD recommend your tapering program, or did you plan that yourself? Is skipping a day better than splitting a pill and taking a gradually lower dose?
|

replied February 19th, 2010
I am 56 and male. smoked for many years but quit a year ago. I had two Taxus Express 2 DESs in the RCA 1/31/08. On my last Doctors visit I was told if the cost was not a problem I could continue taking Plavix and 1/2 81mg asprin. I ask if I could quit taking Plavix and was again told if cost was not a problem I could continue the Plavix. I was given no advice about the complications of quitting so I did some internet research and what a shock. I would like to taper off for a while before I stop. Any suggestions?
|

replied February 22nd, 2010
DONT GO OFF PLAVIX
My husband had a drug stent put in 2 years ago in his LAD he went off PLaix for knee surgery and 5 days after had a massive heart attack the stent closed up and was clotted They told him Plavix for life they also took him off Nexium
|

replied February 23rd, 2010
Plavix rebound
In an attempt to wean myself off Plavix I cut the tablets in half and started taking ½ of the 75mg tablets daily starting on 2/18/10. By 2/21/10 I was having minor chest pains and palpitations and on 2/22/10 I started taking whole 75mg tablets again. I am still looking for a plan to get off Plavix so I will try again later.
|

replied February 24th, 2010
dont go off Plavix
you might find this interesting when they fixed my husbands stent in the Cath lab they gave him 2 handfuls of Plavix he couldnt believe how much they gave him so all of a sudden 1 a day doesnt seem like alot. They also used the paddle to shock him once so he will never go off his Plavix, hes lucky to be alive he had only 5 more minutes maybe
|
Users who thank lynnsorce for this post: ghbny1234 

replied March 22nd, 2010
Plavix Problems
Heavy colon bleeding, muscle aches and pain, hard to
stop small cuts from bleeding,exhausted all the time.
Dr. took me off Plavix and aspirin after 7 years.
History of 2 heart attacks, 2 stent,and the story
continues. Anyone out there been on Plavix 7 years
or more?
|

replied June 4th, 2010
Taking off plavix
I had to under bypass in Jan 2009, taking asprin 81mg, plavix 75mg, metroprolol 2/1 of 25 and lipitor 2/1 of 20g. I asked my cardiologyst if I could stop plavix, the answer was No. I consulted another cardiologyst who said i don't need plavix. I decided to take plavix every other day since the end of Feb 2010 and I am doing fine.
|

replied August 16th, 2010
I never had a heart attack but did have possible TIA's some time ago. I want off Plavix because of increased bruising and excessive bleeding. All my blood work comes back very good.
|

replied December 8th, 2010
have been on plavix for 12 years now. Card. up north thinks I should be on plavix for the rest of my life. Card in Fl. (where i now live) wants me off of plavix and on asperin, and states there is no rebound effect with with going off plavix and onto coated asperin. But I'm the one who is cought in the middle. My mind tells me if I have not had a problem in 12 years (stint) 8 years ago. Then why should I change now? Help!!!!
|

replied February 8th, 2011
i had a stent placement in 2007 for minoe blockage in my lad when they was doing a heart cath and the doc said for safe measures we are going to stent you with a metal stent.dec 2008 it failed and i had a massive heart attack and cardiac arrest went to the doc today and said i didnt have to take plavix anymore im scared to listen to him on this judgemnt call i was 34 when i had my heart attack and im 37 now what you alls take on this?
|
12 >>