Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Plan B and REALLY Heavy bleeding

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I took plan B last week after having unprotected sex. I got my period Friday and it was a little heavier than usual but I didn't worry because one of the possible side effects of the pill was heavier bleeding. However today, Monday, my period is extremely heavy and I am worried. I have a lot of blood clots and I have to change my tampon every hour sometimes more than once in an hour. I also have bad headaches.Is this normal after taking plan B or can it be something else?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 2nd, 2009
Especially eHealthy
Plan B is a pretty high dose hormonal birth control pill. All the side effects of birth control pills are thus associated with Plan B. Normally you will see bleeding about a week after you took it. This is not your menstruation but bleeding from your uterus wall because the Plan B hormones are no longer present. Your real menstruation can follow this at the normal expected time or later or earlier.

Is this perhaps Plan B bleeding combined with your own menstruation?

If the bleeding does not stop or get heavier, see your doctor.

Take care!
|
Did you find this post helpful?