Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

plan b and late period (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
i started my last menstrual period on MAY 19, 2008, my period is usually VERY regular and 28 days.

on the weekend of june 7th, 8th, and 9th i had unprotected sex with my boyfriend using the pull out method (yes i know it doesn't always work) we've been together almost 2 years and have used this method before and it's been fine.

based on my cycle, i should have been ovulating between may 31-june 4th, based on my cervical mucus around that time, i was ovulating.

i was worried about the unprotected sex so at 7:30pm on June 9th, i took my first PLAN B tablet. then i took the 2nd tablet on june 10 at 7:30am. i had harsh side effects of plan b for a few days last week: headache (i get migraines, i am very sensitive to hormones) and sick to my stomach and bad anxiety (which i have anyways but it made it A LOT worse, i also noticed i had a slight fever.

anyways, i was supposed to get my period on june 16, and am 3 days late and FREAKING OUT! i'm very scared, too scared to take a pregnancy test just yet.

i started getting my normal pms signs on june 13th, and still don't have my period. i am very worried. something simular happened to be back in december of 2007 where i was 1-2 weeks late with the same stress and symptoms i am experiencing now (except last time i did not take plan b after unprotected sex)

i've read a few places that plan b cannot make your period late, just early and other places said it can.

i've just come here for support and opinions. i honestly am tooo worried to take a pregnancy test (unless of course i get more symptoms and am still late in a week or so) so please don't suggest that

thank you very much in advance

i've also been stressed more then usual this month. and of course am stressing about this situation.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper coketa91
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Plan B messes up your cycle so you can't really just expect your period to come on time. It could be a week early or it could be a week late. You may have some weird periods for a few months.

Between the plan B and the fact that you're stressed, it seems pretty normal to me that it's late. Relax.

And for the future, you should probably look into birth control. It will save you a lot of stress. Smile
|
Users who thank Maddie34 for this post: Mabel 

replied August 22nd, 2012
mine was 27 days late,dnt stress
|

replied June 19th, 2008
Thanks so much for the reply maddie! I have tryed birth control in the past but am VERY sensitive to hormones, i've tryed ortho tri cyclen lo and the mini pill and it's given me bad side effects with my migraine headaches! i'd like to get an iud but for some reason my gyno is very against giving them to woman w.o children =(
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Well make sure you have a nice supply of condoms then. Wink

Honestly, the pull out method is very risky. It's unprotected sex. Period.
Save yourself a good month of worrying and use some form of protection always!
|

replied June 19th, 2008
aw thank you, we usually do, but i guess this time things got a little heavy =( i really appreciate your support
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
kristencouture wrote:
i really appreciate your support

No problem Very Happy
|

replied January 10th, 2009
When my period was late coming after Plan B, I read over lots of these forums. Here is what ended up happening for those seeking information! Note that I'm not a medical professional so what happened to me might not happen for everyone.

My period started Day 1, and I normally have a 30 day cycle. I had sex and the condom broke on the morning of Day 8. I took Plan B the afternoon of Day 8, and the website says it's 95% effective if taken in the first 24 hours. The pharmacist said that my period should come when it normally does (Day 31), but also if I don't get my period within 3 weeks (Day 29), to take a pregnancy test. She told me that I might get spotting after about a week. I got spotting on Days 15 and 16. Then Day 29 came and went, then Day 31 came and went, so I started freaking out. I told myself that if I didn't get my period within the week, that I would take a test. I didn't get my period until Day 38, which was right on time if you counted "Day 1" to be the day I took Plan B. There was a lot of scary days for my partner and I, but it all worked out. I hope it does for the rest of you too!!
|

replied March 30th, 2009
Plan B
Ok, so I have read over many many of these posts on every kind of website you can imagine and can't find anyone who has the same prob as me...

first, i haven't had a period (including spotting or ANYTHING) for 6 weeks and 3 days..(yes I am counting).

I am not sure of the exact dates of everything except my period. I had unprotected sex in the second week of February. I took the morning after pill on time (not within 24 hours, but within the 72 hour timeframe) and I was on my period at the time. (Same time as the unprotected sex and same time as taking the pill. My period was normal bleeding (which is NOT normal for me -- it is usually heavy) and very short (only 4 days). I have only had one other short period in my life, and it was when I was pregnant with my daughter. I haven't had a period or spotting or anything since then. I have had all of my normal PMS symptoms (bloating, fatigue, cramps, irritability, etc.) but no period has come..

Here it is March 30 and still nothing.. No more PMS symptoms, no pregnancy symptoms really except that I haven't started still, and worst of all (never thought I would say that...) no period..

I have taken three pregnancy tests with in this time frame and all have come out as negative. I don't know if I should take another, go see a doctor, or just quit worrying and wait...

Help please.. what should I do????
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I think speaking with your doctor would be best. You need to know why your period is not coming.
|

replied March 31st, 2009
i spoke with her exactly one week ago. she said if i don't start in a week, take another test. so i will take one when i get home this evening and see...
if it is still negative, i guess i will ask her about it again...
|

replied April 8th, 2009
I have a question...
Ok so I am on birth control and quit taking my pills on Friday becuase I am supposed to have my period this week... well I had unprotected sex on Friday night so just to be safe I took plan B. It is now Wednesday and I have not gotten my period. I took a test yesterday and it was clearly negative.

My question is... if I don't get my period at all by Friday (which is the day I am supposed to start taking my BC again) should I continue taking my BC and start a new pack? Or should I wait for my period to come? Please someone let me know what you think since I am very confused! Thanks again
-Audrey
|
Users who thank lovethepoo for this post: babygirl44 

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, start a new pack and keep taking your pills.

You really didn't need Plan B since you're protected during your placebo week (the week you get your period) as long as you've been taking your pills with no mistakes.

What happens with your period is kind of a toss up now. Taking plan B with birth control pills (especially during the placeboa week) could really just give a boost of hormones so you don't experience withdrawl bleeding. Or you might get your period mid pack next month.

Just kind of roll with it because you're chances of being pregnant are less than 1%, but the Plan B will give you pregnancy like symptoms as a side effect (change in hormones). So right now the only thing you need to worry about is when your body will regulate again Smile
|

replied April 8th, 2009
This is quite funny... almost an hour after I posted that I got my period... but it is like 5 days late! So thank you for replying and for the advice.. if I hadn't gotten my period you would have made me feel a lot better! Thanks again
|

replied April 11th, 2009
nervous as hell
So i had sex feb 16 and 17 and then took plan b the next day. I got my period on time. This month I had sex twice but it was protected both times and Im almost positive there was no finishing as we both had a LOT of liquor in our systems (college ugh makes you do silly things sometimes). Anyway, I am 17 days late maybe a little less than that. I took a pregnancy test 12 days after my expected period and then the next day as well. Both were negative. I also took a lot of Stackers 3 diet pills last month and lost a bit of weight. But between the condoms and the not finshing and sperm not having as much potency when your drunk, I think I may be ok, but I just thought I might get an opinion from people who know more about these situations than I do. AHHH im freakin out!
|

replied May 29th, 2009
i have two days until the end of the monthand i didnt come on my
plz give me some info.. i had a accident n april around the teens i took plan b n still didnt come on my period i took a preg test n it was negative. i recieved my period late twenties THANK GOD!!!!!.. now once agian it happed the condome broke i took plan b withn an Hour and i took the seconded one 12hrs later. had cramps but had it be for i took plan b. i didnt get my period and there is only 2days left n this month and im sooooo freaking Scared . can anyone help me or give me some info?
|

replied September 4th, 2009
helppp
i took plan b july 10th, had my period a week early the 18th-22 or 23rd. My period usually comes between the 30th and the 4th it is now the 4th of September and no period. Should my period be returning to its normal cycle? Because if so then im fine but if its on the new cycle im like 2 weeks late.
|

replied September 9th, 2009
i had sex in which the condom broke about a week before i was due to have my period. i took a plan b pill about three hours after it happened. just to be safe i took two more doses of plan b the next to days. i am about a week late for my period. should i take a pregnancy test or talk to my doctor? what are the chances im pregnant? im freaking out.
|

replied November 13th, 2009
Plan B
Last month, the condom broke the last day of my period, but just to be on the safe side i took Plan B. Absolutley no side effects. However, i am now coming upon almost a week late with my period and very tender breasts. More tender than i ever felt before. Is all this normal?
|

replied November 13th, 2009
Especially eHealthy
Late period = side effect! You took a massive hormone dose to prevent or delay ovulation. That can cause your period to be a little 'off' for up to 4 months.
|

replied November 20th, 2009
NO PERIOD! HELP
I have a really different problem.

My period was 5 days late but I wasnt too worried because my period fluctuates by a week or two. On the fifth day that I didnt get, my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex. I took Plan B the next day. Still no period. I am realllyy worried!! PLEASE ADVISE!
|